87 4Runner 22RE 5310mi LiquiMoly 10w40 MOS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys here is the UOA to go along with my Purolator Boss cut from the filters forum. Oil was in use for 5310 miles (total vehicle miles don't line up as the odometer is 6% slow) during that time the truck saw all in town use, one day at the beach driving around in the sand, one day at the drag strip (made it to the semi finals in bracket racing only to loose by breaking out
frown.gif
) 183 total hours of which 53 were idle hours.

Oil used was the LubroMoly (LiquiMoly) 10w40 with MOS2 already blended in. Odometer at time of change was 317,400 on the original never rebuilt engine. No makeup oil was added. I changed the oil because I'm about to take the truck on a long road trip. Since this sample was taken I've already put 800 miles on the truck, will be close to another thousand by the time I leave plus the 3,500 for my trip would have put me over 9,000 on this oil which I wasn't willing to do without further testing. So yeah, I dropped it with life remaining but I'm ok with that.

Enjoy!

I kinda thought it would score higher on molybdenum.My guess is its got about 1/3 of what you would get from a bottle of LM2009 MoS2. Those trucks are indestructible minus a astroid.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I kinda thought it would score higher on molybdenum.My guess is its got about 1/3 of what you would get from a bottle of LM2009 MoS2. Those trucks are indestructible minus a astroid.

I think part of the reason for the low moly is that some of it settled out to the bottom of the jug. It had a thick black layer on the bottom that I noticed after the oil was in service. I mixed my current OCI blend in the bottle and shook it. The new oil came out charcoal grey after and there is still some grey in the bottle on the bottom. Either way I'm pleased with the report.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Marco620

I think part of the reason for the low moly is that some of it settled out to the bottom of the jug. It had a thick black layer on the bottom that I noticed after the oil was in service. I mixed my current OCI blend in the bottle and shook it. The new oil came out charcoal grey after and there is still some grey in the bottle on the bottom. Either way I'm pleased with the report.

That's moly sludge. It does that in your engine, too. Did you know moly additives contribute more to sludge formation than anything else? There's a reason why new oils are low moly. We have better additives now. Don't live in the past; don't waste your money.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I was interested in running this oil in my diesel, but this moly sludge story makes me wonder. Good redults though!

Popsy,

I can't comment on the price and availability where you are, however at least here I think that it's overpriced. I got this 5L jug at a screaming deal at my local NAPA because it was really old and still labeled LubroMoly as opposed to the newer LiquiMoly packaging, so I figured what the heck, I'll try it. I won't bother to buy it again, however it did perform well in my truck. At least here in the US there are equal or better options IMHO for the same or less money.

I think my conclusion could be the same as yours. It's a bit overpriced for a semi-synth stuff, I can get better things for the same price, but your results are good, so maybe I'll try if it's on sale someday!

I was interested in running this oil in my diesel, but this moly sludge story makes me wonder. Good redults though!

This is a stronger spec'ed Euro ACEA oil .
Moly sludge.. ..it's sedimentation,if any, is not an issue for me. I would use it with peace of mind.

Edit:OP,7 to 10K OCI looks doable , though it might be pricey.

Last edited:
Zeng,

If I was going to keep using this I'd probably resample and leave the oil in use at 7,500 before I went to 10k although I was pleased with the TBN retention and relatively low iron in ppm/mi compared to other runs. I have a huge stash so it will be running on that for the foreseeable future.

The viscosity stayed in grade, that's a good point. As for the ACEA specs, I'm not so sure it prevent very average oils to be sold, lol
I look forward to future uoa with this oil
smile.gif

The viscosity stayed in grade, that's a good point. As for the ACEA specs, I'm not so sure it prevent very average oils to be sold, lol
I look forward to future uoa with this oil
smile.gif

I haven't had much issue with this engine shearing oils out of grade so I'm not sure that my engine is a good candidate for evaluating this oils ability to stay in grade. But I was happy to see it right in the middle of the spec.

Yep, you don't seem to have fuel dilution issue, and it looks quite easy on oil (no turbo, no high revving, etc)
smile.gif

Actually, yesterday I went to my usual oil online store site (yes, it's that time of he year again, oils change for the winter to come!), and they don't have that 10W40 LiquiMoly oil anymore. I was on the edge of buying some, now the problem is solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back