85 Class C mobile with tranny problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, looking for a little help before I have to spend a ton of cash on a toy. I have an 85 motorhome that uses a Chevy chassis. It runs the 350/turbo400 engine trans combo. After a trip up a mountain last year, the transmission began giving me problems. When it tries to change from first to second gear, it cannot seem to get there. It switches gears very quickly between 1st and 2nd several times before it finally locks into 2nd. Changing from 2nd to 3rd is smooth and it runs down the road just fine. Someone told me it could simply be a pluged filter, but I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts or experience with this issue. Thanks in advance, Travis

I would drop the pan and change the ATF and filter and inspect the filter for metal debris. The 400 trans is not hard to rebuild. I would however have a different shift kit put in it to make it shift faster. You can get one re-built by Monster Trans for just over $1k. That will last forever in your application.

http://www.monstertrans.com/store/products/Turbo-400-TH400-Heavy-Duty-Transmission-4WD-4x4.html

If you drop yours and take it in you should be able to get it rebuilt for $6-700 locally. If you are adventurous get a B&M rebuild kit from Summit Racing for $170 and DIY.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back