8" Rhino Ramps or Similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing?

Mine are standard 6" and very useful, safe, and durable. But I am tall with long arms and sometimes need more clearance. I can gain space by adding wood underneath, but a taller ramp is easier. I realize the geometry would require longer, larger, heavier, and more $$. I saw some racing type ramps once that were 8" I think, but about $200 (ouch!).

I made my own ramps for $30... All it takes is a quick trip to Home Depot.

I don't remember the lumber size, but they are about 8" wide and 10ft long. I believe I bought 3 or 4 of them... I had them make cuts in-store for me (free), so they would fit in my car. It lifts all the cars I work on just enough to do oil changes and whatever else... Never have to worry about them collapsing on me, either.

They look identical to this, just with my own length sizes:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/mwramps20.JPG

But yeah, I think my final cost was about $32 at the time. I made them years ago. I am thinking about re-making them to be the same weight but one layer higher (about 1.75" higher). They currently raise the front tire 6.5" above the ground... One more layer would give me around 8" which would be ideal I think.

Something to think about!

Last edited:
I have thought about it and do a lot of woodworking. One of the features of Rhino is LIGHTWEIGHT and PORTIBILITY.

I have been thinking about building the ramps out of 2x12s. The one thing these homemade jobs allow is the slower transition to height. Changing oil on low slung cars with air dams and regular ramps is a combination that does not mix if you care about the air dam. I wind up jacking the Jettas up onto the conventional ramps and that is a royal pain and a bit unsafe.

Last edited:
I luv my Rhino ramps. Wish I would have bought them along time ago. So convenient and sturdy, I have no problem pulling up my couple ton Explorer up on them anyday!!

Love mine too. Lightweight, plenty strong and easy to store. Seems to me that stout wooden ramps would be a PITA to move around.

I had a Volvo 760 with air dam and it was NG with plain steel ramps. Fine with Rhino ramp.

I think I drove to AZ in my Volvo and asked if I could take a ramp outside to see if it looked like it would work.

With SUVs I can slide under and change the oil with no ramp. If I cannot then I gained some weight I need to loose.

The wood ramps are heavy and such, but store very nicely in my garage along the side (they slide onto each other, ending up a nice even rectangle).

But I only ever use them in my garage or driveway, so they don't need to move far. I love them, personally... But agreed, they are not extremely portable and are heavy.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I think I drove to AZ in my Volvo and asked if I could take a ramp outside to see if it looked like it would work.

Am I the only one that wondered 'why would someone drive to Arizona to try out some ramps' the first time they read that post?

I'm on the right page now, but it took me a minute...

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Originally Posted By: Donald

Am I the only one that wondered 'why would someone drive to Arizona to try out some ramps' the first time they read that post?

I'm on the right page now, but it took me a minute...

lol.gif
NOPE. I would have figured you could buy them in NY...

I don't like the rhino ramps as they slide to easy on damp smooth concrete and they aren't high enough for me and my gut. Even on front wheel drive and 4wd vehicles they would still slide on me every now and then.

I made my first set of wooden ramps after I cut down my second tire on an old set of steel ramps that my dad had. They were good sturdy heavy ramps but were only good for the narrow bias ply tires.

The thing that is nice about the wooden ramps is you can count the steps and know when you are at the top.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I don't like the rhino ramps as they slide to easy on damp smooth concrete and they aren't high enough for me and my gut. Even on front wheel drive and 4wd vehicles they would still slide on me every now and then.

I made my first set of wooden ramps after I cut down my second tire on an old set of steel ramps that my dad had. They were good sturdy heavy ramps but were only good for the narrow bias ply tires.

The thing that is nice about the wooden ramps is you can count the steps and know when you are at the top.

bingo!!

Last edited:
I like the Rhino Ramps as they are lightweight enough for this 70 year old man to move around. My drive is asphalt so I have no problem with them sliding.

The nice thing about the Rhino Ramps is they have a stop so you don't drive off the end of them.

no problem with them sliding on my driveway they have a rubber foot that compresses.. holds them in place fine.

Might not work the best for a RWD though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back