78K mile LS1 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up an '02 Firehawk w/ 78K on the clock. After reveiwing the maintenance records, it seems that the previous owner fed it a steady diet of dino Penzoil 10W30 every 3-4K.

I'd like to switch to synthetics and it seems that GC is the syn of choice for the LS1. Does anyone forsee any issues with swapping over to synthetics at this mileage?

From the Amsoil site:

2002 PONTIAC FIREBIRD 5.7L 8-cyl Engine Code G

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
All Temps......5W-30[1] 1. Preferred

The car sounds like it was well taken car of with frequent oil changes of around 3 months. Take a look at the dipstick and oil fill for signs of varnish. If they look clean, I'd say you are good to go. Might not be a bad idea for a UOA since you just bought the car. If you see varnish, then try an engine flush. Then follow your owners manual oil change interval with GC or if you want to stretch it out to a warranted 6 months/7500 severe or normal miles whichever occurs first, try the 5W30 XL.

Can you use Rotella T Synthetic in that car? I am not sure what the specs are for your car but in my opinion the Rotella T Synthetic is the best oil for the money. Best of luck with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back