New Honda EM6500X2AG Generator - Oil Recommendation?

I've always advocated to follow OEM recommendations.
Unfortunately, here at BITOG, you'll get impassioned suggestions for peoples favorites and preferences. Those same folks can't seem to come up with data and analysis to justify their off-spec recommendations though.
You are correct, the thousands of failed generators were not part of a detailed study on an oil's ability to lubricate an overheated and abused air cooled engine, running 24/7 in post hurricane, hot-humid-stagnant conditions. But the failures happened, regardless of said data analysis.

I lost two water pump engines trying to de-water my lot prior to the "wetlands mitigation" inspection. I used the recommended oil in both. Thankfully, they were covered by warranty.

Extreme conditions do exist and air cooled engines do not manage oil temperatures well.

Hot, stagnant air is a killer. Always try to place the generator somewhere with a lot of ventilation! I've seen people cover them with tarps in the rain and wonder why their oil turns black and burnt smelling so quickly. Lucky for them, our powder outages in SE Michigan don't last as long as those in hurricane central USA.

I bet a lot of those failed generators during hurricanes were running 24/7, probably without oil changes or even checking the oil between fill-ups. Just keeping the oil changed and topped up will help your generator last a long time.

Since this thread started, I have had two power outages. Temperature in the teens outside and the little Honda EU2000i ran like a champ. In the sump is a 50/50 blend of Honda Power Equipment 10W-30 and the basic Mobil1 10W-30. Pull start was easy to pull and the engine started right up without any clanks, rattles or whines. Why did I mix the M1 and Honda oil? Well, I had an old half jug of the Mobil 1 10W-30 that was for a car I no longer own and a few bottles of the Honda oil that came with the generator that needed to be used up, so I dumped them in and mixed it up. Runs great in my generators and lawnmower.

Hello,

I‘m awaiting delivery on the above referenced generator. The book calls for 10w30 oil - so I’m considering Amsoil 10w30 Synthetic Small Engine oil. Is it okay to break-in an engine w/ this oil? Also, is this what most of you would use? I want to treat her right straight away. I would normally just go to Wallyworld and grab some Penzoil 10w30 dino oil so this boutique type of oil is new to me.

Thanks !
I use any store brand synthetic pep boys etc. In my Honda generator. It runs 6 hours a year for once a month test. Maybe 10 to 20 hrs for power failure. So 26 hrs max, then you change it at 1 year. Unless you use it everyday on a job site then keep it cheap... however some synthetics go on sale at or below store brand prices.
We over think this stuff. The interval and specs of the oil is probably more important than the brand.

SN rated 10w-30 would probably be fine, especially something like M1HM, but I currently prefer a diesel rated 10w-30 in air cooled OPE like generators. Something like Rotella or Delo 10w-30.

Back