$75 Seized engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Whoa! I just saw this. That is one smokin hot deal. It looks like a mid 1990's 3.0LX. Without getting a good view of the carb, it almost looks like the carb is a different year (older) than the engine. I used to work on those 3.0's all the time. I still do from time to time. If you tune it up sometime down the road, just make sure you shunt the ignition. If you time it without shunting, You will blow a head gasket in short order due to over advancing. Other than that, these are bombproof engines. Congrats demarpaint. I'm jealous.
thumbsup2.gif

Hey thanks!

It runs! We got a wire diagram and rewired the engine. We bi-passed the Neutral safety switch since it has no transmission on it, and hooked it up to the garden hose to cool it. We ran it off an outboard gas tank with a TCW3 mix, that's what we had. Giving it some thought the oil mix in the fuel would probably do it some good since it sat so long. It needs a fuel pump [we primed it by pumping up the ball from an outboard gas tank] it ran after that using its own fuel pump. But it wouldn't re-start without pumping the ball. We'll use an electric pump, its cheaper and better. It has a pronounced lifter tick, which goes away at about 1,500 rpms. We can address that if and when it goes into a boat and we can actually run it under load. It might be a little piece of [censored] caught in a lifter which might free itself with some use. Honestly that's a minor issue. If a miracle in a can doesn't work we'll fool with the rockers. If worst comes to worst toss a cam and lifters at it.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I watched my neighbor at the marina quiet down a noisey lifter with a qt of MMO in the oil. He started it, and let it run for a 1/2 hr. The noise went completely away. I was impressed.,,,

That's what we will probably do, but are holding off until we actually get the engine in the boat and can run it under load for a while. Sometimes just running them for a few hours after they sit quiets them down. That's what we'll do first. Or if we decide on selling the engine we'll take care of any little odds and ends before.

I really want to give Rislone a try if it comes down to it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It runs!

Neat!! Is it bolted to something to keep it from jumping around on you?

We bolted it to a makeshift wooden frame for lack of a better term sitting on firm rubber blocks.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Looks like it would make a good jeep (Willies) engine.

It would! It's a little torque monster with a redline of around 4800-5000 rpm. Super simple old design...

This is cool. Neat thread, thanks for sharing about it. I hope it finds a happy home, whether it be your Whaler (the best!) or elsewhere.

John.

Update: Under the valve cover. Nice and clean she runs great.

Hull opened up.

From the rear, the transom is higher now, sorry I don't have those pictures.

The motor sitting in the boat.

Obviously these aren't all the steps but it shows the progression. My brother isn't the best photographer unfortunately.

iirc thats based on the chevy II 153.
fixed one up last year.and it had lots of lifter noise till we changed the oil which looked and smelled like crude freshly pumped out of the ground.
ran it with a qt of diesel about 30 min and dumped it.still going with no noise.my friend got the boat free.note on the free sign said engine is dead.

NICE! You are on the right track there and just a reminder from a guy that just replaced a transom bearing from [censored]: make sure you align the drive properly when reinstalling from scratch. And check that the transom is dry and fresh, spotted some plywood in that laminate...
And, yeah, don't forget to make the "shift hesitation" wiring correctly. It's nice to be able to get to neutral at the dock... The merc engineers made the drive work in fw, N, rev, but left it to the electricians to make it shift... Not impressive, but..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lars11
NICE! You are on the right track there and just a reminder from a guy that just replaced a transom bearing from [censored]: make sure you align the drive properly when reinstalling from scratch. And check that the transom is dry and fresh, spotted some plywood in that laminate...
And, yeah, don't forget to make the "shift hesitation" wiring correctly. It's nice to be able to get to neutral at the dock... The merc engineers made the drive work in fw, N, rev, but left it to the electricians to make it shift... Not impressive, but..

Thanks for the info. My brother was still roughing everything out, the final glass work is not done yet. Nothing is hooked up, so getting the motor in and out takes less than half an hour. He's good at setting these things up, his words are the shift can be a PITA. LOL

The project is moving a little bit slow, it moves to the back burner occasionally for this. Someone crashed into the other boat at the dock while it was tied up and messed up the railings and pulpit in a big way.

Here's a couple pics of the pulpit repair/reconstruct for the big boat.

It's not on the boat yet. Maybe this weekend.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Coming along ...
smile.gif

With boats there are always interruptions ...

For sure, they're a hole in the ocean you toss money in.

Here's an update for those interested.

Engine placement, it was in and out a few times.

Reworking the transom and fitting the out drive.

Tweaking the glass work.

In the water to get an idea of how she sits, and a test run.

The engine cover is in the works, and final paint work to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back