75 or 86" TV?

I bought a 75" TCL 6 series last year when we moved to a new place that had a finished basement that is essentially soundproofed. The seating is 12' and it's perfect for viewing and listening.

I bought a 75" TCL 6 series last year when we moved to a new place that had a finished basement that is essentially soundproofed. The seating is 12' and it's perfect for viewing and listening.
Thanks- I have an old 55" and I'm like 12' away too and its nice
Now how far could you pull that 75" back and still be happy with it? That is the issue.

Have you considered a projector?

I have a friend with a projector onto a big flat wall. It's enormous, fantastic, and far less expensive. And it's mounted on the ceiling so takes no floor space.
Agreed. I have one issue. My TV is in the corner and the chair I use is in the far corner.
The front of the room has three very large windows which if they got blocked I don't care and the other walls
are in the wrong direction I like to watch TV from. I need to get a picture of the room. I'd really like a TV on a stand and I have that stand already.
But those projectors are cheap but I do not know how they work? Can you do a firestick or Roku etc,. Wifi no doubt which is what I do now

Thanks- I have an old 55" and I'm like 12' away too and its nice
Now how far could you pull that 75" back and still be happy with it? That is the issue.
Another 3' maximum...but that's assuming your expectation is the best AV experience possible. I have a decent home theater system so I do enjoy the 12' distance...especially for movies. Tough to beat a decent flick on Blu-ray.

Last edited:
If you have to ask, then get the larger TV, you wont regret it and the price is pennies over its lifetime, never mind its a source of entertainment...
Even though its not in your price range and not a consideration, stay away from OLED in a room that large and such a long distance from your chair to the screen, way more so if the room is bright during the daytime with daylight.

Well made LED will bring more satisfaction and disappointment is possible with OLED in a bright room or a room where you are so far from the screen. OLED look great standing in front of them at Best Buy when you are 5 feet away watching phony program material put one in a home watching from up to 30 feet away in a room lit by daylight and you will find out LED would have been a better/safe choice.

Last edited:
If you have to ask, then get the larger TV, you wont regret it and the price is pennies over its lifetime, never mind its a source of entertainment...
Even though its not in your price range and not a consideration, stay away from OLED in a room that large and such a long distance from your chair to the screen, way more so if the room is bright during the daytime with daylight.

Well made LED will bring more satisfaction and disappointment is possible with OLED in a bright room or a room where you are so far from the screen. OLED look great standing in front of them at Best Buy when you are 5 feet away watching phony program material put one in a home watching from up to 30 feet away in a room lit by daylight and you will find out LED would have been a better/safe choice.
I agree. We have a 65" Hisense Roku TV I picked up at BJs two years ago in our beach house. Viewing distance again...10-12' max. with a decent HT I cobbled together. Paid $350 out the door for Hisense. The picture is outstanding and I can only put sound system through its proper paces in winter when no one else is around.
But the 75" TCL in our primary home is amazing. I almost went 82" for a Samsung but opted for the 75" TCL because I love the Roku platform.

Good to know as I do like my LED TV now.

As the saying goes, you can never be too rich and the TV can never be too big.

Ray Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 in 1953 where he predicted that people would be obsessed with getting bigger and bigger TVs in the future. He's still right.
People certainly think what the Tv tells them to think and do what the Tv tells them to to. I have friends and my sister and her loser husband regurgitate everything the Tv tells them as it is the truth and the light,,, in the room.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
I have a 1080p 75” Samsung smart tv that’s about four years old. I haven’t had any problems until this summer, when I started to notice bright white spots on it. Apparently the glue that holds the light diffusers isn’t great. That TV will be demoted to a guest room, and replaced with an 86” 4K smart TV for Christmas if all goes well. Go for the bigger screen over more bells and whistles. Just remember, if you don’t wall-mount it, that the TV you choose has legs narrow enough to fit on the furniture item it rests on.

I have a 1080p 75” Samsung smart tv that’s about four years old. I haven’t had any problems until this summer, when I started to notice bright white spots on it. Apparently the glue that holds the light diffusers isn’t great. That TV will be demoted to a guest room, and replaced with an 86” 4K smart TV for Christmas if all goes well. Go for the bigger screen over more bells and whistles. Just remember, if you don’t wall-mount it, that the TV you choose has legs narrow enough to fit on the furniture item it rests on.
I like these table mounts for up to 86" tvs.

Screenshot_20210830-202821(1).jpg

Agreed. I have had both.
TCL seems to be a solid basic TV.
Maybe, but TCL has been accused of serious spying-allegedly actually watching you as you watched it and reporting back ( China?). This was stopped after they were caught but speaks alot about its corporate culture. I'll avoid this brand forever no matter how "solid" they are. Just my opinion

Maybe, but TCL has been accused of serious spying-allegedly actually watching you as you watched it and reporting back ( China?). This was stopped after they were caught but speaks alot about its corporate culture. I'll avoid this brand forever no matter how "solid" they are. Just my opinion
Yes but I was watching them watch me too...lol

I can't imagine watching TV 30 feet away with anything less then a 75? I am looking at getting an 85-86 to replace our 6 year old Sony 65 and it is 15feet away from the couch.

They can all report back to the mothership. Samsung just revealed they can lock a stolen TV.

Reactions: JC1
Better experience with 4 speakers vs. 2 speakers. Check out the speaker count.

Better experience with 4 speakers vs. 2 speakers. Check out the speaker count.
I seldom use the "wimpy" speakers that come in any TV.

Me = Front Samsung Towers, DBX 15-inch passive sub with a standalone DBX sub-woofer amplifier, and 3 rear Dynaudio full range speakers.
My favorite movie for the sound effects is still Avatar

Reactions: FZ1
Back