'74 BMW 2002 project finally done

2020 stunk for a lot of reasons....covid, slow business and losing a parent.

I did finally finish my long standing 2002 project. The car was a very, very original one that had sat and also had a very noisy, relatively low mile engine. The engine was making a lot of metal, but I knew that. Otherwise the California car had one soft spot on the floor (from a leak) but is rust free and had only minimal prior owner 'improvements'. It did have the remnants of an early car telephone installation and other additional wiring which I promptly removed.

We got all the electricals working, hung an overhauled motor, when through most of the hydraulics, linkages and bushings. Capped it all off w/ additional gauges (I like oil pressure gauges w/ rebuilt motors), new seat belts and a refinished contemporary wood wheel that I sourced from Europe. The gauges are Faria boat gauges which are very close in style to the originals. Eagle eyes and BMW fanatics will notice that the plug lead clips are not original...the OEM loom is hens teeth. I was wandering around the local airport and noticed these insulated ignition lead clips on a Lycoming; perfect for what I needed and they look like something a factory would do in the 70's. Had a pair of NOS Cibie yellow fogs which match,, and the car was originally wired for front and rear fogs.

Breaking in the engine now, on VR1 20w-50, and am amazed how modern these cars feel.

I feel old; when I was young I did go-fast and loud mods first, now I replace seat belts and o/h braking systems.

On to the old boat now....

Attachments

• IMG_4096 (2).JPG
    IMG_4096 (2).JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 74 BMW int 1.jpg
    74 BMW int 1.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5311.jpg
    IMG_5311.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5302.jpg
    IMG_5302.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5303.jpg
    IMG_5303.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 144
  • bmw2002e2.JPG
    bmw2002e2.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Thanks. The trunk kit is from various BMW's I've scavenged over the years..... I am a pack rat.

I have a dash cover, the thin plastic ones that are fiddly to fit, but usually look really good. I have not done it yet as the original has only a few cracks, and it is the original. Maybe over the Winter.

Cool project car ... bet it's fun to drive. (y)
It is and not having driven one in years, I had forgotten how modern they feel, especially in ride, handling and braking and especially as compared to the contemporary English vehicles that I play with. These were truly cutting edge at the time and no wonder how they established both the mid level sport sedan/coupe category and BMW as a performance marque in the US.

It is also mostly enjoyable to work on; very sensible constructed and generally high quality components.

Very cool car. However, I must correct you on one thing. A project car is never done :ROFLMAO: . You're just starting to crest the never ending hill. Not that that's a bad thing

that's what an older car should look like, used but good condition. Like it had and has a life!

And i've always had the impression the contemporary British cars were a bit crude. Before the 02 bmw you'd have to look at italians like alfa or lancia to get " ride, handling and braking " but neither of them were rustproofed, people here were replacing body panels before they were 4 years old. No rust on yours?

that's what an older car should look like, used but good condition. Like it had and has a life!

And i've always had the impression the contemporary British cars were a bit crude. Before the 02 bmw you'd have to look at italians like alfa or lancia to get " ride, handling and braking " but neither of them were rustproofed, people here were replacing body panels before they were 4 years old. No rust on yours?

Yes, the contemporary British cars are much less sophisticated both in design and construction. I think my TR6 has 2 body relays, the 2002 has 5 or so; one for each low beam, etc. The Bosch electricals also seem to turn green at a slower rate than Lucas, but things like dielectric paste make old cars so much easier to live with now :)

This is a West Coast car. The only rust areas were a soft spot on the LR floor (from a leak), significant surface rust on the area below the floor mounted pedal box (collection spot for debris and dripping clutch fluid) and a small spot on a wheel arch from minor damage repair. We dealt with the floor areas and I will address the fender after I run in the engine and a few other odds and ends. The rockers, channels, fender corners and floors are otherwise almost perfect. The overall condition and originality are what attracted me to this car despite the engine issues.

Back