7.3 psd oil and filer recomedations

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got a 1999 ford f250 super duty with the 7.3 psd. can someone recomend oil and filters for it. i see wally world has rotella and chevron delo. are there anything wrong with the motorcraft oil filters for this? i just figured one of you guys has already figured this one out. i read the oil tests on the 7.3 on this site, but i cannot decide what oil is the winner. also please reccomend an oci.

quote:

Originally posted by doubleclutch:
AMSOIL 15W40 AME with Motorcraft filters is my choice for the Powerstrokes with an OCI of 5,000 miles.

I've had good luck with customers running AME and SDF 99 filters change filters at 7,500 change oil and filters at 15K. This is conservative. If you want 10K filter and 20K on the oil will work great too.

The PSD can be tough on oil. I'm using the Motorcraft filter. The main thing is to not overfill. Be careful. I generally add less than 14qts. and check later. Overfill can cause the foaming issues.

I drive it very little, so I just use Delvac 1300S. Rotella or Delo would be fine.

If you put on a lot of miles, the Amsoil might be worth it to you.

The Delo 400 Ci-4+ has a bigger dose of moly.

You won't have any trouble running it out to 5K mi. Even seen some that have run it out to 10K with a bypass setup.

It's also availiable at Sam's club for $36 for 6 gallons, a real steal on a great oil!

You want to make sure you get a good oil filter, Motorcraft 1995 comes to mind, but I'd reccomend Purolator, or Wix filters as well.

I tend to shy away from Fram, even thought better constructed that most of thier other partnumbers, they seem to have a problem with the media getting some pretty good holes in their filters.

I regularly run the Delo to 6000mi for a normal OCI, Rotella T regular I ussusally do not trust past 4000. The Rot. T 5-40 gIII syn I was able to run to 7500 pretty easily, compare that to RP 15-40 that I ran to 6000 and felt it was about 1000 too long. I ran the Valvoline PB extreme 5-40 to 5000 and dumped from fuel from lots of idleing in traffic but felt the oil was very tough. Right now am giving Mystik a try and at 2000 it is performing vrey well but seems like there is a bit more noise with it and notice the difference in throttle pedal feel , really feels like there is a HD oil in there. MC 15-40 seems to easily go 5000mi.
Filters used, Wix, motorcraft (MC), and Mobil 1. Might try a ST during a Auto-Rx run. Truck uses 0 oil during intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by eddyzima:
i just got a 1999 ford f250 super duty with the 7.3 psd. can someone recomend oil and filters for it. i see wally world has rotella and chevron delo. are there anything wrong with the motorcraft oil filters for this? i just figured one of you guys has already figured this one out. i read the oil tests on the 7.3 on this site, but i cannot decide what oil is the winner. also please reccomend an oci.

Fleetguard LF3974...it has the Stratapore media. As a higher cost alternative, you can also use a LF9027 combination filter that has Stratpore media and a Venturi style bypass element built in.

Hammer

I was really intrigued by that LF9027, but not sure if you could leave it on for longer than a normal oci , and it seems it willnot filter out the soot like a full blown bypass unit, so you may get a bit longer oil life by using it just not sure how much longer . Seems like you will have to end up dumping the oil anyway due to soot loading. Also checked around , and i don't think napa carries the LF3974, so would have to go to the International dealer to get it, muy inconvenient. Of course could oder it online .

quote:

Originally posted by reyjay1:
I was really intrigued by that LF9027, but not sure if you could leave it on for longer than a normal oci , and it seems it willnot filter out the soot like a full blown bypass unit, so you may get a bit longer oil life by using it just not sure how much longer . Seems like you will have to end up dumping the oil anyway due to soot loading. Also checked around , and i don't think napa carries the LF3974, so would have to go to the International dealer to get it, muy inconvenient. Of course could oder it online .

Saveonfilters.com sell all the fleetguard filters. the 3974 is about $13 and the 9027 is about $17.

Hammer

I stopped at a cummins shop for SCA test strips and the counter guy said they carry fleetgard filters for the psd

quote:

Originally posted by doubleclutch:
AMSOIL 15W40 AME with Motorcraft filters is my choice for the Powerstrokes with an OCI of 5,000 miles.

I would call it a waste of money, unless your engine is overfeuled or something wrong The Amsoil can go way over 10,000 miles and way longer with a bypass filter . I am not an Amsoil nut , but the oil is proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back