6L80E Build

Reminds me a bit of the 4R100, at least the description. The converter was more than satisfactory for the 5.4L and even the 6.8L V10, but behind the 7.3L diesel, they had failures. The trans itself was ridiculously robust, the converter just couldn't handle the diesel over the anticipated lifespan.

When I build ANY 4R100.....It gets a Multi Disc-Billet Front Cover converter, But most of the 4R100's I build are in overloaded Service Body Trucks.

That is super interesting. I’ll check if my local shop can accommodate that and If not, find out will find out what they usually get for 6L units. I know they’ll only do what they are comfortable with. Rock Auto has TC and rebuilt GM units at good prices shipped to Canada.

456 Clutch assembly.....
That's new bearing under the Sun Gear as I don't trust bearings after a failure like this, The Planetary Carrier is in excellent shape though.
There are 2 Pistons.....One is a Apply Piston & the other is a Compensator Piston to force the clutch off when needed.

R4IyvfL.jpg

tOaVn3D.jpg

DeOjOu5.jpg

ZS7bLle.jpg

z0mt7yP.jpg

gQQns4L.jpg

fn66g5T.jpg

a55I3Le.jpg

ioLZcvd.jpg

RMtFKbc.jpg

Holy moly, never seen so many metal particles coming out of a transmission!! :oops: Thank you for sharing this!

If the owner had asked you to build this unit with all OE parts (and no upgrades), what would this job have costed?

Hard to say as GM doesn't sell Bushings through any retailer, They'll sell you whatever component has a bushing preinstalled including the Transmission Case.

I used Borg Warner frictions which are 100% identical to the OE frictions, I can by them in a Module/Set through a Borg Warner dealer for a 1/4 of the price.

The Sonnax/KOYO bearing kit came in a big bag full of individually bagged AC Delco bearings.

And I bought the Pump, Pump Rotor kit, Stator, Filter, & Auxiliary cooler from the dealer.

One could likely buy a brand new unit trough GM Performance Parts cheaper than building one through GM Service Parts

She's all put back together & tuned. Test drove it @50 miles before doing the tuning as problems (Albeit VERY rare) can crop up after making calibration changes. I do this just to make sure everything is good before hand.....Like the TECHM still being in working order after this type of failure.

I did not reset the TECHM learned adaptive's as those got froze when the trans lost pressure & set PC Solenoid stuck off DTC's. The shift times shortened up nicely after some easy driving. Some WOT runs returned some nice crisp upshifts.
Diagnostic information will tell you to reset & do a "Quick Learn Procedure"......I rarely find the need to do this unless I replace the TECHM.

Great rebuild thread. Looks like the OE tranny pan does not have a drain plug. What are your thoughts on that? Do you install aftermarket at customer request or prefer not to deal with aftermarket pans here on the risk out weighing any benefits?

I don't care one way or the other, This one is due back in a year for a service that includes dropping the pan to clean the magnet & change the filter.
I simply run a tube down the dipstick tube & evacuate the pan much as possible to prevent making a mess.

If I'm after just a fluid change.....I'll pull a cooler line.

I don't care one way or the other, This one is due back in a year for a service that includes dropping the pan to clean the magnet & change the filter.
I simply run a tube down the dipstick tube & evacuate the pan much as possible to prevent making a mess.

If I'm after just a fluid change.....I'll pull a cooler line.
I've always done fluid exchanges by the cooler line every 30k. Pan drop and filter every 2-3 times. 270k+ miles on my 2004R that way.

Back