625-HP Ford "BOSS 300" Inline Six

Interesting, but not surprising since the custom head is Boss 302/Cleveland big port based, that they used the same port tricks that I used on many 351-4V Cleveland motors I built in the 80's and 90's. It's a pretty common mod to increase flow in a very large port.

Last edited:
Interesting, but not surprising since the custom head is Boss 302/Cleveland big port based, that they used the same port tricks that I used on many 351-4V Cleveland motors I built in the 80's and 90's. It's a pretty common mod to increase flow in a very large port.
c502, is it true that the Cleavland 2V heads flow better than the 4V heads stock from the factory? :unsure:

1640300160794.jpg

Is this it? Go to Ellison's Machine Shop on FB.

how do you weld the extra 2 chambers onto the 4 and get it to seal (and flow water) correctly?

1971 BOSS 351 owner

Steve "R"

how do you weld the extra 2 chambers onto the 4 and get it to seal (and flow water) correctly?

1971 BOSS 351 owner

Steve "R"

Its 3 sections of 2 apparently - so you've got to wreck three heads to build it.

A cool engine for sure but given it was always a slow revving engine that never made much power (even the most modern ones made 150hp), a ton of money & time must of been spent to get one to 625hp.

I'm not entirely sure I believe the HP number. A 310 cubic inch 6 cylinder, at 100% volumetric efficiency, stupidly high compression ratio and absurd piston speeds well beyond what Ferrari and the honda S2000 achieve, still requires one stress the 4.1 inch bore and 4 inch stroke, limiting RPM to about 8800 or so. Meaning a real world number of just over 500HP is what can be achieved. Calculate it out yourself. It makes little sense. 625HP might be possible at a very unrealistic 10,000 RPM. Note: 10K requires a 3.6 inch stroke and a mean piston speed well into the pro-stock range. Doing this on a 4 inch stroke is a pipe dream.

Whats unsaid is that at 13:1 you are going to need to run race gas.

Loads of expensive components.
2.25/ 1.71 int/exh, titanium valves, triple springs,
near straight shot in- out.

Cutting up two Cleveland 4V heads and furnace brazing them back together was done by a racer in Comp Eliminator back in the 70's.
2 HP/cube is a pretty common output to get from naturally aspirated 2vpc engines in the modern era.
But I always have a place in my heart for people that make weird stuff run.

Back