This oil filter article popped up today... rankings...

I now have even more respect for my 1971 Kohler ball bearing powered Wheel Horse 🐎 tractor... it had no oil filter and still runs great today with no engine repairs..
Interesting how motors without filters did well.
My 73 VW of course had no filter. Changed oil every 2K. When it neared 100K it dropped a valve. When the engine was disassembled it looked like it had just left the factory. No exxageration.

Nothing new, they just took the info here on BITOG from all the Experts that know better. :LOL:

How many folks here remember the toilet paper oil filter from the 70's. No kidding. You could add an oil filter assembly which used a roll of toilet paper. Where would that rank on the list? Is Charmin better than Cottonelle?
That's easy...Cottonelle for the win, because Charmin brags about how easy their product tears!

;)

Ed

There are some decent general points made about oil filters, but the details in some of the filter brand descriptions are off-base.

I got a headache reading that columnist. There are one after another claims that are not true. Here's just one ridiculous claim...

"If there's a knock on the Purolator design, it's that the density of the filter media causes reduced oil flow, which makes the filters generally unsuitable for high-performance"
Guy probably never saw this PureOne PL14006 flow vs dP graph (data from Purolator) ... or any other oil flyer flow curve graph to understand their typical flow vs dP. Nor understands why a PD oil pump is used on engines, lol.

1710450319582.jpg

Here's another Flow vs dP graph of a bunch of filters for comparison. Even at 10 GPM, the difference in dP spread is only 5 PSI. No engine will care about any of those oil filters being installed, because of the PD oil pump. The oil flow is going to be the same with any of those filters installed, unless the pump is total junk and worn out, or if the pump hits pressure relief before it hits 10 GPM. And even if the pump was in pressure relief, there will probably still be plenty of oil flow to property lubricate the engine.

1710451252147.jpeg

Back