62 Socio-Economic Categories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was interesting.... classifying Americans into 62 separate socio-economic categories.

Hard to categorize some folks while others are easier. I'm still trying to figure out where I fit.... didn't see a "crotchety old coot barely scraping by" category.

Appears some folks may fit into more than one category. Marketing droids love this stuff to increase profits while minimizing costs. I just find it interesting.

What say you?

http://www.claritas.com/MyBestSegments/Default.jsp

Neato. Input a zip code and view what the marketers have compiled about that area.

In my humble hamlet, outside Omaha, I read in the Omaha newspaper that this town had the highest median income in the entire state, I merely learned I live in the minute ghetto area that the local power structure is trying to remove via altered zoning laws. Luckily, the shanty, over 100 years old and originally a farm house, a small small minute barely-there farm house, with the once-was-a-farm overwhelm by the growing town, is granfathered in and is untouchable....until the power brokers pass a new law.

Anyway, for this town:

05 Country Squires
The wealthiest residents in exurban America live in Country Squires, an oasis for affluent Baby Boomers who've fled the city for the charms of small-town living. In their bucolic communities noted for their recently built homes on sprawling properties, the families of executives live in six-figure comfort. Country Squires enjoy country club sports like golf, tennis and swimming as well as skiing, boating and biking.
2005 Statistics:
US Households: 2,050,786 (1.85%)
Median HH Income: $100,850
Lifestyle Traits
Order from online retailers
Go skiing
Family Fun magazine
Pay-per-view movies
Lexus SUV
Read BITOG

09 Big Fish, Small Pond
Older, upper-class, college-educated professionals, the members of Big Fish, Small Pond are often among the leading citizens of their small-town communities. These upscale, empty-nesting couples enjoy the trappings of success, belonging to country clubs, maintaining large investment portfolios and spending freely on computer technology.
2005 Statistics:
US Households: 2,451,435 (2.21%)
Median HH Income: $78,915
Lifestyle Traits
Belong to a country club
Own a motor home
Atlantic Monthly magazine
1960s nostalgia music
Lexus LS430
Read BITOG

11 ***'s Country
When city dwellers and suburbanites began moving to the country in the 1970s, ***'s Country emerged as the most affluent of the nation's exurban lifestyles. Today, wealthier communities exist in the hinterlands, but ***'s Country remains a haven for upper-income couples in spacious homes. Typically college-educated Baby Boomers, these Americans try to maintain a balanced lifestyle between high-power jobs and laid-back leisure.
2005 Statistics:
US Households: 1,813,435 (1.63%)
Median HH Income: $82,895
Lifestyle Traits
Travel for business
Take a golf vacation
Skiing magazine
Outdoor Life Network
Toyota Land Cruiser SUV
Live the BITOG lifestyle

23 Greenbelt Sports
A segment of middle-class exurban couples, Greenbelt Sports is known for its active lifestyle. Most of these middle-aged residents are married, college-educated and own new homes; about a third have children. And few segments have higher rates for pursuing outdoor activities such as skiing, canoeing, backpacking, boating and mountain biking.
US Households: 1,885,142 (1.7%)
Median HH Income: $55,923
Lifestyle Traits
Go snowboarding
Go horseback riding
North American Hunter magazine
American Experience TV
Subaru Impreza
Print BITOG articles to read while jogging

32 New Homesteaders
Young, middle-class families seeking to escape suburban sprawl find refuge in New Homesteaders, a collection of small rustic townships filled with new ranches and Cape Cods. With decent-paying jobs in white-collar and service industries, these dual-income couples have fashioned comfortable, child-centered lifestyles, their driveways filled with campers and powerboats, their family rooms with PlayStations and Game Boys.
2005 Statistics:
US Households: 2,131,717 (1.92%)
Median HH Income: $54,331
Lifestyle Traits
Go to Chuck E. Cheese
Buy videos online
4-Wheel and Off-Road magazines
Nickelodeon TV
Kia Sedona
Create a for-profit Web site trying to compete with BITOG

Nope, don't fit into any of the above. Looks like this is the closest category for the old coot except I've done a wee bit better than what the description implies. Donations, alms, etc. accepted.:

62 Hard Scrabble: Older Families in Poor Isolated Areas
"Hard scrabble" means to scratch a living from hard soil. Cluster 62 describes our poorest rural areas that reach from Appalachia to the Colorado Rockies, and from the Texas border to the Dakota badlands. The highest indices for Native Americans, mining occupations, and chewing tobacco are in "Hard Scrabble."

Age Groups: 55-64, 65+
Dominant Race: White

I thought you were just making a statement.

I was a 16 until a genius came into town and booted me out.

I guess we are a blend of 05, 17 and mostly 37, but we make it without the wifey working and sans the love for "fast food". My true goal is to be a 44 and own a string of firework stands.

What a bunch of pucky.

Duvall, WA 98019's most common PRIZM NE Segments are:
Number Name
09 Big Fish, Small Pond
05 Country Squires
11 ***'s Country
23 Greenbelt Sports
32 New Homesteaders

Unfortunately I am not in the "01 Blue Blood Estates: Elite Super-Rich Families " category
frown.gif
Good information though, Joe

That's hysterical about loving tractior pulls.

As I'm 29 gong on 60, you can't pin me down, not even closely. I repel marketing pretty well too.
smile.gif

now i see the real reason that they want my zip code at checkout. typically i am told this is to target marketing and i blindly assumed they meant "where to send flyers". i usually give the zip code for work but maybe i will give the zip for the white house.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:

Appears some folks may fit into more than one category. Marketing droids love this stuff to increase profits while minimizing costs. I just find it interesting.

What say you?

Anyone looking at the list expecting to see an image of their self is going to be disapointed.

For a marketing puke looking for a productive hole to go fishing in, it's of some value.

OPBOP, The best reading parts of this thread are your comments
cheers.gif

Where is the category for "young blue collar middle class living in the middle of suburban yuppiedom"? I guess I dont fit in to any categories. Nice.

Guess I'm 05. So where in the he ll is my Lexus SUV? Don't get Family Fun magazines and I'm WAY TOO CHEAP for pay for view movies.

Number Name
17 Beltway Boomers
19 Home Sweet Home
18 Kids & Cul-de-sacs
15 Pools & Patios
01 Upper Crust

Interesting... I'd say 17, 19, and 15 are correct for the general area. Bout 5 miles down the road 1 would be applicable... Pretty cool
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back