600k Kia went through 9 engines

Justrolledintitheshop has been around, at least a little, I have seen his stuff before. Maybe not 100% true, but unless he’s fishing for a lawsuit or selling H/K stock short, where is the gain in it?

Clicks. Scotty Kilmer has been around as well. I tend to have salt on hand when watching or reading anything on the webs.

Justrolledintitheshop has been around, at least a little, I have seen their stuff before. Maybe not 100% true, but unless he’s fishing for a lawsuit or selling H/K stock short, where is the gain in it?
Reddit karma is the most valuable fake internet point system around. Just look, 42k upvotes and 12 awards, with the only thing backing up his claim is a picture of the odometer.

I'd not be too quick to completely discount. Our 2017 Tucson at work has been at the dealer over a month waiting on its third engine, yes third,, only 61k on it, well maintained.

We've had a couple Kias in the family that have been great but at this point you couldn't give me a Hyundai/Kia 4 cylinder. Disappointed actually I had liked them.

Kia is known for having poor rod bearings, even have a recall for it. But the warranty is super in US. Here its 7 years or 150k km

Last edited:
Were the replacement engine and transmission new or used? If used I could absolutely see this happening.
New Hyundai engines done under warranty. In all fairness they have been fantastic about honoring warranty, but it's mighty unhandy to have the vehicle down for extended periods. Dealer had over 50 in the wings waiting when ours was tagged.

I'd not be too quick to completely discount. Our 2017 Tucson at work has been at the dealer over a month waiting on its third engine, yes third,, only 61k on it, well maintained.

We've had a couple Kias in the family that have been great but at this point you couldn't give me a Hyundai/Kia 4 cylinder. Disappointed actually I had liked them.
what went wrong with them? 1.6 turbo?

Whatever the base engine is, 2.0 maybe? Not turbos that I know of anyway. Classic Hyundai 4 cyl running fine then suddenly rough running, chugging, stalling and it's done. You get no warning, when its over its over. The other one we have (twin) has less miles about 54k it's on its second engine.

Ironically they are very nice driving, comfortable and other than constant engine problems and engine related recalls we've had virtually no trouble out of the rest of the vehicle.

It is Hyundai/Kia, but NINE warranty engines?!? Wonder who paid for all that work? The engines & trannys alone had to be north of $60K! I would think Kia would have given up & given him his money back after the 2nd or 3rd one (of either). Like to have seen the trade-in offer, scrap value would have been a good number…
And folks here wonder why I say Kia/Hyundai have problems.

It’s amazing folks argue with me about how terrific and upscale Kia and Hyundai are and figure I’m a moron for saying they are total garbage.

I never could understand why anyone pays the big bucks on some of their models and even fights and overpays to get one.

My experience and my friends experience with Kia aren’t good to say the least, heck the older cars had 32,000 mile timing belts

Last edited:
Kia made some attractive cars there for a few years; they were the much-better-looking sister of the H/K family.... I had a couple Forte rentals I really liked. But they were rentals, so I didn't have to keep them long-term.

Now they've been hit hard by the ugly stick. The point has become moot.

Maybe the person just liked to take a 2 week vacation and drop the kia off beforehand for a fresh engine?

This story seems incredible, in that it really needed so many engines and that the owner didn't dump it for a Camry sooner. Theta II is known to be not good but 9 engines? For a high use application experiencing fewer heat cycles no less? I dunno!

Ironically they are very nice driving, comfortable and other than constant engine problems and engine related recalls we've had virtually no trouble out of the rest of the vehicle.
Other than that, how did you like the play Mrs Lincoln?

Years ago one of the scandal sheets featured a guy with his paperwork for the multiple engines Chevy replaced on his Chevy Vega.

After the first one.....bye. Multiple transmissions?

I'm not that much of a masochist but I will stay with a car long after it is no longer financially wise : Car #1 : 40 years, Car #2: 28 and most recent, Car #3 17 years and fresh from a 1000 mile round trip and odo at 80,000 miles now. All are currently still in the driveway

Theta II is known to be not good but 9 engines? For a high use application experiencing fewer heat cycles no less?
Dealership/owner puts cheap 0W-water oil in, the car runs hot and hard for miles and miles and the weak rod bearings fail. It's no surprise. Hyundai/Kia has been building substandard engines since forever.

Back