600k Kia went through 9 engines

600k in 10 years? 60k/yr? Did the dealership cringe whenever this guy came in?

If that “free” engine replacement came with a loaner… sounds like the owner made out. Maybe not Kia though. Even if the guy had to spring for a rental each time (sounds like at least once a year it was getting something major replaced!) maybe the cost per mile wasn’t so bad.

Wow what a turd. An engine every 66k and a trans every 150k. And 203 oil changes equals 3k mile intervals and the trans was flushed every 30k too so lots of maintenance.
Sounds like one of those dealer warranties where you have to buy overpriced preventative maintenance from them and only them. Worked out for this guy though.

Dude got a 10 year, unlimited miles warranty, then bolted after the ten years, LOL. Maybe atikovi's mall cruiser looks like the sane option...

I find this hard to believe. This vehicle is driven 60,000 miles a year which would mean few cold starts and perhaps a lot of highway driving. Frequent servicing indicates proper maintenance. If these engines failed that often under circumstances like this, they wouldn't last 20,000 miles with the average owner.

Sounds like one of those dealer warranties where you have to buy overpriced preventative maintenance from them and only them. Worked out for this guy though.
True but I can't imagine the dealer oil and fluid changes were reasonably priced.

I find this hard to believe. This vehicle is driven 60,000 miles a year which would mean few cold starts and perhaps a lot of highway driving. Frequent servicing indicates proper maintenance. If these engines failed that often under circumstances like this, they wouldn't last 20,000 miles with the average owner.
Possibly incorrect. A normal owner may not be running the engine hard for extended periods of time. These engines are sensitive to low oil viscosity. An engine operated for extended periods of time, at high oil temperatures, which can result in low viscosity will experience bearing problems. I don't have any inside info, but "if" I were to guess, I'd say a string of rod bearing failures were the reason for the engine changes.

A normal owner probably does not get the oil to very high temps.

I know someone who had a very similar thing happen to him. He bought all his vehicles and services from one dealership for many years. And he happened to get a lemon on a first model year redesign. After spending the first year living in the service center the dealership ended up offering him an unlimited mile powertrain warranty and free life times services for as long as he owned it. He drove the wheels off the hunk of crap.

Sound kinda cool in theory. But I’d rather just have a vehicle that works right and pay for my own services.

It is Hyundai/Kia, but NINE warranty engines?!? Wonder who paid for all that work? The engines & trannys alone had to be north of $60K! I would think Kia would have given up & given him his money back after the 2nd or 3rd one (of either). Like to have seen the trade-in offer, scrap value would have been a good number…

Possibly incorrect. A normal owner may not be running the engine hard for extended periods of time. These engines are sensitive to low oil viscosity. An engine operated for extended periods of time, at high oil temperatures, which can result in low viscosity will experience bearing problems. I don't have any inside info, but "if" I were to guess, I'd say a string of rod bearing failures were the reason for the engine changes.

A normal owner probably does not get the oil to very high temps.
If an engine can’t handle highway use, at factory oil viscosity and non-ridiculous ambient temps & speeds-that manufacturer needs to hang it up or redesign their junk. Hyundai/Kia does seem to have a few engine durability “issues”!

Back