6 year review on 2005 Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

I bought the vehicle new in '05. LE model, 3.3 motor. Just turned 80,xxx miles. I have done all the maintenance except a couple of OCs. Overall, it has been a fantastic vehicle. No major problems whatsover. Plusses---doesn't break, good build quality (no rattles, squeaks), good quality materials in the interior. Paint is good quality, no rust, decent power. Power door has had no problems, but other people seem to have had issues with theirs. Easy to to routine maintenance. I Can do oil/filter/ATF, & coolant changes without raising the vehicle. Comfortable to travel in. The kids love it back there. Great turning radius for a van. I didn't realize how much I would like this when I bought the van. Decent gas mileage. I get about 20 in city driving and about 25 on the hwy. The AC/heat works well, front and rear. Doesn't use hardly any oil. Maybe goes down 8 oz over my 4000ish mile oil change intervals.

Minuses/things I would change: Stereo could be better, front seat bottoms could be an a bit longer. Seems to be hard on tires. I get about 25K on any tire I put on there (and I rotate and align regularly). There is a bit of a shift flare on the 1-2 shift that has been there from day 1, but nothing major. Can't start it in second gear for snow driving. The driver's window does stick a bit for a second when it is all the way up and I hit the down button. Did this since it was about a year old, and I never took it in to have it fixed/looked at since it is not that big a deal since the window always goes down (and up). I wish the spare was full size, since it is under the vehicle anyway and it is a 'large' compact spare anyway, and the valve stem is inexplicably on the upper side, so you have to lower the spare to check/inflate it. The cruise control is overly sensitive. When speed drops barely below the set limit, it downshifts and accelerates like I was flooring it. Ugly wheel covers (stock). Toyota is the last holdout for steel wheels/covers on their mid line vehicles. The piano black trim scratches easliy, and the gated shifter is getting a bit stiff between 4 and Drive. Doesn't do corners too well--the Odyssey corners better for a van. The AC compressor is a bit noisier this year and may be my first large repair at some point. Should have 4 wheel disc brakes and not rear drums. Anyway, I would buy another one for sure.

Toyota builds great vehicles; your review is proof of that. All cars have some items we don't particularly like, but in a Toyota they are easy to overlook considering the reliable design and quality manufacturing process. We LOVE our Toyotas!

Originally Posted By: JDD
Doesn't do corners too well--the Odyssey corners better for a van. Should have 4 wheel disc brakes and not rear drums.

Thanks for the update. These are the two main only(?) reasons we bought the Odyssey. I was a little amazed at the lack of stopping power with the Sienna, and thought it went beyond just the drums.

The rest of the stuff is very similar with the Ody. In fact our van eats tires for breakfast!

We've had our 2005 Sienna since 11/04. It has just under 106k miles, and is an LE as well.

Our LE has 4 wheel discs, ABS, traction control, and aluminum wheels.

I bought an extended warranty and never had to use it within the 100k miles/ 6 years it was in effect.

Brakes have been an issue as far as front pads wear fast. Just changed factory rear pads about 2000 miles ago.

Tires go about 25-30k with regular rotations.

HATE the transmission habits/ flare!! Has felt like it was slipping since day 1.

All in all, best vehicle we have ever owned. Just had the timing belt/ water pump done at 105k miles ($800). Also is time for transmission flush again.

Hope that this thing makes it to 175k miles with little issues.

Yup, toyota makes good cars. LOL.
I'd take a Sienna over an Odyssey any day though, still don't trust the transmission in the Odyssey. Although, it'll still be more reliable than a Caravan... That's for sure!! Gotta love toyota's!

I'm surprised to hear that tire life is low. What type of tires do you have on?

My brakes on my Lexus, are great. They stop on a dime. Pedal feel is on the soft side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Yup, toyota makes good cars. LOL.
I'd take a Sienna over an Odyssey any day though, still don't trust the transmission in the Odyssey. Although, it'll still be more reliable than a Caravan... That's for sure!! Gotta love toyota's!

I'm surprised to hear that tire life is low. What type of tires do you have on?

My brakes on my Lexus, are great. They stop on a dime. Pedal feel is on the soft side.

Tires I've tried on the Sienna: Dunlop SP4000 (factory tire). Easily the worst tire I've ever had on a vehicle. Next, went with some Kumho all seasons. Not bad, not great either. Took it in for a balance at Dis***nt Tire and they offered to pro rate a warranty if I bought some Michelin Destinys, which I am nursing along until winter because I am fairly broke right now. I just think that heavy front wheel drive vehicles eat front tires, no matter what brand--so I don't think there's any silver bullet out there. I had another brand of tire on there for a few thousand miles, but I cannot recall what they were, but a couple of them were defective and were out of round and discount tire took the set back and I put the kumhos on. I am going to put on Pirelli Four seasons on it this winter. I put them on my son's V6 Contour and they have been a great tire and decent snow traction. He's put about 8500 miles on them this year and they still look new, but it's a light vehicle, but the tire seems to be one of the better ones I've tried. Nice ride, stays balanced, good in water too.

The Toyota Sienna van is notorious for eating tires, so you're certainly not alone. We used to own a very similar van (Town & Country) with an identical tire size (215/65R16) and tire life on that van was very good. I replaced the OEM tires early because they were very poor in wet conditions. But I had about 35,000 miles on a set of Michelin X Radials from Sam's Club (pretty much the same as the Destiny from Discount Tire). Based on tread wear on the Michelins in the first 35,000 miles, I expected an honest 65-70k out of them. They are warranted to 80,000 miles, but I don't let tires wear down to the bars either. We sold the van after putting the 35,000 miles on the Michelins, so my tread life estimate is just that. Still, decent for a large vehicle with "small" tires.

So try the Destinys, and have the alignment checked for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back