6.5 TD leaking oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an internal oil leak on my 96 GMC Suburban, 6.5 TD. Almost 211,000 miles on it, running Rotella 15w-40 and Wix filters. Only gets occasional use most of the time. Driving more often right now while other truck is in shop. A while back, was running it a high idle and it unexpectedly died with a puff of smoke out the exhaust (don't recall color). Too much going on at the time to spend a lot of time on it. It restarted just fine and I have not noticed any loss in performance then or since.

Symptoms: No / little oil leaking underneath, but is losing it quickly according to dipstick. No "milky" stuff on the dipstick or in last oil change (2 days ago); regular old black oil. No change to how it runs; starts same, idles same, no noticeable loss in power; I have run it on the interstate at +/- 65 MPH with no symptoms. Don't see evidence of oil in coolant reservoir.

What am I dealing with? Cost to repair?

Sounds like engine oil is getting into a cyl. The oil locked up the engine for the lack of a better example. You could pull the glowplugs and look inside, or do a pressure tests of each cyl. Most likely, NOT GOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back