6.4 hemi truck motor (silly srt oil requirement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW. I have owned 4 Hemi's. 2014 Ram with 5.7L, 2015 Challenger R/T with 5.7L, 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack with 6.4L, and 2018 Jeep GC with 5.7L. Use PUP with factory spec on all. No noticeable oil consumption with any of these engines. Big change over the 2001 Ram 2500 I had with the 5.9L gas magnum. Used about 1/2 quart every 3K miles (with M1 10W-30 - 3K mile OCIs) for the entire 14 years and 115K miles I had the truck.

Last edited:
I like how you guys shout me down about "searching on the net" yet you throw up your example of ONE.

The quality of info on here has degraded over the years. This board used to have a bunch of great material but now it just seems that everyone either supports or denies any information posted on the basis of supporting their opinion.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
I like how you guys shout me down about "searching on the net" yet you throw up your example of ONE.

The quality of info on here has degraded over the years. This board used to have a bunch of great material but now it just seems that everyone either supports or denies any information posted on the basis of supporting their opinion.

But you aren't getting an example of one. You are getting a collective viewpoint of those who have owned 6.4L's in this thread, which is generally more representative of the average experience than if one were to specifically search out the issue.

Look at it this way: How many people with 6.4L's responded to your thread that didn't have consumption? You have consumption. So, of those people, you are the 1 in X that has some (tapering off) consumption. I think that's an at least more typical cross-section of ownership than a directed query on the issue by itself.

It would be nice if a poll could be created to illustrate this better.

I'm not doubting the veracity of your claim and I'm certainly not trying to marginalize your concern. I've simply indicated that I don't believe oil consumption in the 6.4L is any more prevalent than on any other modern V8 engine, which all have acceptability guidelines that are similar to FCA's.

[Linked Image]

Might as well include the actual tech spec from manual instead of selected words from different pages.

Originally Posted by ddown
[Linked Image]

Might as well include the actual tech spec from manual instead of selected words from different pages.

Originally Posted by dave1251
There is no requirement just a recommendation per the above post.

I posted several snapshots from the manual, highlighting this verbiage, earlier in the thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...or-silly-srt-oil-requirement#Post4966015

There is nothing inaccurate about that statement from Mobil. Chrysler RECOMMENDS an oil that meets MS-12633, Mobil does not produce one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back