5w50 in a modified Ranger 800xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a "work in progress" for the last several months, a 2010 Ranger 800xp EPS, so far it's morphed into a stretched, widenend, lifted, 31" tire'd 70hp bush stomper

886054965_F4bMW-L.jpg

I've had the engine built up from the stoclk 46hp to 70ish (literally took it out of just one 40mile ride to make sure all is functioning fine and tore the brand new motor apart heheheh!) with a 7,000rpm cam, 11:1 pistons, bored TB, programmed ECU, ported head with valve job, boondocker fuel controller and a few other goodies. I have a guage cluster to monitor the machine's functions, a properly working fuel guage, voltmeter, engine temp, oil pressure, and a wideband air/fuel meter (awesome for dialing in jetting).
862276054_zmjG2-M.jpg

I was told this motor will produce more heat than the stocker, I expected this and I'm running Amsoil 0w40 atv oil, but I've noticed alot of oil pressure drop once fully warmed and running hard. Cold pressures are 40psi at idle and climb into the 50-70psi range under throttle, but when screaming along it's in the 25-30psi range, I'd like to run a thicker oil.

Klotz has a power sports 0w50 but I'm having a [censored] of a time getting it. I have access to Ford Racing 5w50 which is more like a 5w62 (100c visc rating of 21), can I run this stuff in my motor or is 25-30psi nothing to worry about with a UTV? Also to add, I have no cooling issues, coolant temps are good.

Thanks eh!!

Last edited:
How about polaris 2w-50? They recommend 50wts in their new stuff so I really don't see a problem. Need to put ya some siverbacks on that thing.

Last edited:
I'm running M1 5w-50 in my Sportsman 500 and the ranger 700, seems to be working fine. We have to special order it in the US, but it should be avaible at WM in Canada.

The engine builder said just to use the polaris 2w50 for break in and switch to something else, was not a fan of it at all. Silverbacks, would love them, i have a set of 14" ss212's in the black finish, been trying to decide on 31" laws or 32" backs.

I have a few quarts of the factory oil, I should run it and see if hot temp psi increases, the stuff is so watery I can't see it, but you never know.

The 5w50 M1, haven't looked for it yet, I can get several other brands of 5w50, but I'm a fan of the Ford stuff since it performed so well in my '08 srt8.

I found the specs on the Polaris 2w50, it has a 100c visc of 14.5, it's thinner than the Amsoil 0w40, and only a -40c pour point too, lame!!! I'm going to try some 5w50 4 stroke group IV syn I have from our commerical distributor, a -48 pour and 17.9 rating @100c. My commercial pricing has it less than 1/2 my Amsoil cost, let's see what a UOA does.

Last edited:
Is the windshield polaris or after mark. If after market, what's the source. I really like it and would like to get one. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back