5w40 in an Ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Olas
Also, why does the mustang spèc 5w20 for daily use and 5w50 for track use? Surely it's to do with temperature, no?

You seriously do not have any clue about difference between daily driving and race track.

I daily drive my daily every day, and I trackway my daily when time and money and spare tyres and brakes are available, so I have *some* understanding.
Please answer my question, why is 20 acceptable for a daily but 50 is required for high load/high temp use?

So it's a temperature issue after all.
Get too hot and the 20 doesn't have the MOFT. Get too cold and the 5w won't pump.
Therefore, 0w40 year round.

Also, why does the mustang spèc 5w20 for daily use and 5w50 for track use? Surely it's to do with temperature, no?

You seriously do not have any clue about difference between daily driving and race track.

I daily drive my daily every day, and I trackway my daily when time and money and spare tyres and brakes are available, so I have *some* understanding.
Please answer my question, why is 20 acceptable for a daily but 50 is required for high load/high temp use?

Who are you to answer your question? Should we be privileged with your presence here?
I already offered you explanation up there, if it is hard for you to understand, oh well, I cannot draw here.

Having a tough time taking someone, that says they take their 82 VW @ 98BHP to the track, seriously.

Get too hot and the 20 doesn't have the MOFT. Get too cold and the 5w won't pump.

5W won't pump? Did Manchester get moved to north of Edmonton without my knowledge? What's the coldest temperature you've ever seen there? For most climates a 5w-xx is more than adequate in terms of cold temperature performance.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

5W won't pump? Did Manchester get moved to north of Edmonton without my knowledge? What's the coldest temperature you've ever seen there? For most climates a 5w-xx is more than adequate in terms of cold temperature performance.

Manchester is south of Edmonton but that doesn't change the fact that if it gets too cold, 5w won't pump. Can anybody prove that 5w WILL pump when too cold?
Coldest I've seen here was -12, coldest I've seen was -40.

And we're not talking about MOST climates, we're talking about a climate that is too cold for a 5w to pump. Hence the 0w.

Who are you to answer your question? Should we be privileged with your presence here?
I already offered you explanation up there, if it is hard for you to understand, oh well, I cannot draw here.

I didn't answer my own question, I used rhetoric to illustrate a point. There is a difference.
The other post to which you refer was my response to another poster who's comment I saw before yours - not everything's about you, you know.

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Having a tough time taking someone, that says they take their 82 VW @ 98BHP to the track, seriously.

Why? Oulton Park and Three Sisters are less than an hour away and allow me to drive above the speed limit in safety, with no pedestrians or speed cameras or junctions. A track is the only place to go fast if you're responsible, or concerned with safety. I never claimed to be fast - only sensible.

Manchester is south of Edmonton but that doesn't change the fact that if it gets too cold, 5w won't pump. Can anybody prove that 5w WILL pump when too cold?

And we're not talking about MOST climates, we're talking about a climate that is too cold for a 5w to pump. Hence the 0w.

You are talking about those climates. Cities that come to my mind: Fairbanks, Murmansk etc. WE ARE talking about Ford Ecoboost in the United States!
Can anybody prove? What are you? 18 year old and you think that world owns you answers for something it is proven FACT, or you are one of those that use "alternative facts?" What is your next question: Can we prove earth revolves around the Sun?

Why? Oulton Park and Three Sisters are less than an hour away and allow me to drive above the speed limit in safety, with no pedestrians or speed cameras or junctions. A track is the only place to go fast if you're responsible, or concerned with safety. I never claimed to be fast - only sensible.

How it fares against Yugo?

Quote:
I didn't answer my own question, I used rhetoric to illustrate a point. There is a difference.
The other post to which you refer was my response to another poster who's comment I saw before yours - not everything's about you, you know.

So you use slick tires as daily driver too?

Can anybody prove? What are you? 18 year old and you think that world owns you answers for something it is proven FACT, or you are one of those that use "alternative facts?" What is your next question: Can we prove earth revolves around the Sun?

LOL!

I'm having a hard time following whatever point it is you are trying to make here
21.gif

Yes, if it gets below -35C, which is the pumping limit for the 5W-xx designation, it may not pump. However where it actually gets that cold (ambient, without wind chill) is rather limited. At -12C you are nowhere near testing the limits of the 5W-xx designation, nor is that the case for the majority of the world's population.

This was covered multiple times before but I suppose it never gets old. With exception of SOME MY 2016 and 2017 BMW engines and new 2.2 MJET Alfa Romeo and few other very late diesel engines all others are specified with 5w30/40, minimum HTHS over 3.5.

In case of BMW that would be LL04/C3 oil. Surely we are heading towards 0w20 FE monsters, but we are far from it right now. European new fashion is three cylinder,1 litre (overly) turbocharged petrol engine. I suspect those would need something more conventional to last over here and not 0w20.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
This was covered multiple times before but I suppose it never gets old. With exception of SOME MY 2016 and 2017 BMW engines and new 2.2 MJET Alfa Romeo and few other very late diesel engines all others are specified with 5w30/40, minimum HTHS over 3.5.

In case of BMW that would be LL04/C3 oil. Surely we are heading towards 0w20 FE monsters, but we are far from it right now. European new fashion is three cylinder,1 litre (overly) turbocharged petrol engine. I suspect those would need something more conventional to last over here and not 0w20.

Specifically regarding BMW:

Quote:
BMW's newest TwinPower Turbo engine oil is LL14 FE+ certified. It meets BMW's standards for LongLife 2014 ("LL14") and improved fuel economy ("FE+"). In testing, BMW saw a 3% improvement in fuel economy over the LL01 5W30 in the N20 4-cylinder. The new 0W20 replaces the previous 5W30 oil used in some 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder BMW models and is the standard oil for the new B-series modular engines (B46, B48, B58). As of December 2015, BMW has not backdated the 0W20 for any other engines.

Quote:

0W20 BMW oil is approved for the following BMWs:
N20 Engine:
2014+ F22 BMW 228i 228iX
2012+ F30 BMW 320i 320iX 328i 328iX - Sedan
2012+ F31 BMW 328i 328iX - Wagon
2014+ F34 BMW 328i 328iX - Gran Turismo
2014+ F32 BMW 428i 428iX - Coupe
2014+ F33 BMW 428i 428iX - Convertible
2014+ F36 BMW 428i 428iX - Gran Coupe
2012+ F10 BMW 528i
2013+ E84 BMW X1 28i
2011+ F25 BMW X3 xDrive28i
2014+ F26 BMW X4 xDrive 28i
2011+ Z4 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

B46/B48/B58 Modular Engines:
2016+ F30 LCI BMW 340i 340iX - Sedan
2016+ F48 BMW X1 xDrive20i X1 sDrive 25i X1 xDrive 25i
2015+ F55 MINI MINI Cooper 5-door, MINI Cooper S 5-door
2015+ F56 MINI MINI Cooper 3-door, MINI Cooper S 3-door
2016+ F54 MINI MINI Cooper Clubman, MINI Cooper S Clubman

I plugged the first one on the list into the Mobil 1 France website and was not presented with an oil recommendation because Mobil does not make a BMW approved '14FE lubricant. Older "regular" BMW models are presented with the recommendation for Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40, which is an LL-01 product, as are those not on the list above.

Of course these are all gasoline engine.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
1% of the market right now.

You are probably right, but it is definitely a trend, which was what I was pointing out earlier. What may have been CAFE-driven in NA has spilled out to the rest of the world that doesn't share that mandate, likely due to convenience and universality I would imagine.

I'm having a hard time following whatever point it is you are trying to make here
21.gif

Yes, if it gets below -35C, which is the pumping limit for the 5W-xx designation, it may not pump. However where it actually gets that cold (ambient, without wind chill) is rather limited. At -12C you are nowhere near testing the limits of the 5W-xx designation, nor is that the case for the majority of the world's population.

Also, what is pour point of certain 5W? Also, just because ambient temperature is -40, does not mean that temperature of is -40.
I started BMW at -37 and VW Tiguan at -45. Since I can fallow oil temperature in BMW, oil was nowhere near -37 after spending night outside. In VW cannot fallow temp. but I would say temp. of oil was not -45.

And a couple of posts later the OP says it goes to below 32. It's awfully close to below 35 and the extra safety margin of 0w vs 5w Is a good thing, no?

How cold does it get? 0w is good down to -40, 5w is good down to -35, 10w is good down to minus 30 (or 25?)

As always, oil selection is dictated by climate.

Not very cold, we get spurts below 32 for a few weeks. This winter and last was VERY mild. Summers are brutal with heat and humidity, had 40 days above 100 a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back