5w40 in an Ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 2016 F150 3.5 Eco. I've got a ton of Castrol Syn 0w40 and 5w40 laying around. I've seen some of the UOAs on this motor and it shears some oils down a good amount. From what I'm reading here the two aren't that much different? Or am I incorrect? Some local guys are running 0w40 no problem. Just curious if I could use the 5w40 too.

How cold does it get? 0w is good down to -40, 5w is good down to -35, 10w is good down to minus 30 (or 25?)

As always, oil selection is dictated by climate.

Originally Posted By: Olas
How cold does it get? 0w is good down to -40, 5w is good down to -35, 10w is good down to minus 30 (or 25?)

Not very cold, we get spurts below 32 for a few weeks. This winter and last was VERY mild. Summers are brutal with heat and humidity, had 40 days above 100 a few years back.

Originally Posted By: JDM396

Not very cold, we get spurts below 32 for a few weeks. This winter and last was VERY mild. Summers are brutal with heat and humidity, had 40 days above 100 a few years back.

0w40 all year round will cover all ambient temps you'll see. Other viscosities may necessitate a summer/winter change.

Hey guys, I have a 2016 F150 3.5 Eco. I've got a ton of Castrol Syn 0w40 and 5w40 laying around. I've seen some of the UOAs on this motor and it shears some oils down a good amount. From what I'm reading here the two aren't that much different? Or am I incorrect? Some local guys are running 0w40 no problem. Just curious if I could use the 5w40 too.

Regardless of outside temperature, you can use 5W 0r 0W. In all 48 lower states you can use 5W easily.
However, I would stay away from Castrol 5W40. it is not even close to Castrol 0W40. 0W40 meets MB 229.5 requirement which means it leaves less deposits on. It is so called true synthetic, PAO based, while 5W40 is HC oil, and not remarkable one by any measure.I used 5W40 in my Passat 1.8T and it would create lifter noise after 4K like on clock. 0W30 or 0W40 castrol never did it, and so far they have been smoothest in my VW applications of all Euro gas oils.
Also, 0W40 is thinner on 100c, but has same HTHS as 5W40, compliments of much better base stock.

I have run 10w-30 in the winter and 15w-40 om the summer. Both are dino Heavy Duty Diesel oils. We have more engines here than you will probably own in your life time. Never have lost an engine to an oil failure.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Regardless of outside temperature, you can use 5W 0r 0W. In all 48 lower states you can use 5W easily.
However, I would stay away from Castrol 5W40. it is not even close to Castrol 0W40. 0W40 meets MB 229.5 requirement which means it leaves less deposits on. It is so called true synthetic, PAO based, while 5W40 is HC oil, and not remarkable one by any measure.I used 5W40 in my Passat 1.8T and it would create lifter noise after 4K like on clock. 0W30 or 0W40 castrol never did it, and so far they have been smoothest in my VW applications of all Euro gas oils.
Also, 0W40 is thinner on 100c, but has same HTHS as 5W40, compliments of much better base stock.

Thanks, I'll stick with the 0w40.

As I recall Ford requests 5w-20 and you guys say that a 0w40 would be OK? I don't have a problem with it just kind of surprised since historically people here have been a bit on the militant side when people stray from the owners manual.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
As I recall Ford requests 5w-20 and you guys say that a 0w40 would be OK? I don't have a problem with it just kind of surprised since historically people here have been a bit on the militant side when people stray from the owners manual.

This is the turbo engine, it calls for 5w30 and the Castrol 0w40 is only slightly thicker.

Thicker oils don't hurt the engine, they just use more fuel and have a higher minimum oil film thickness another micron or so which will reduce wear.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
BobsArmory said:
... Thicker oils don't hurt the engine, they just use more fuel and have a higher minimum oil film thickness another micron or so which will reduce wear.
As long as an oil film is separating the hardware bits, wear is already zero, so making the film thicker won't reduce wear. If in some circumstance the thicker oil allows separation that wouldn't otherwise exist, THAT can reduce wear.

I'm using Edge 0w40 in my '11 Ecoboost F150 and have been for around 50-60k miles with zero complaints. Currently at 101k miles and she's still quiet as a mouse. Good oil. I got tired of draining oil that had the same viscosity as varsol. The Edge 0w40 took care of that. Use with confidence

Not in the CAFE driven USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back