5w40 and 15w40 Rotella Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change the oil and as I look at the shelf, I have two quarts of Rotella T6 5w40 and two quarts of Rotella T4 15w40. I need nearly 4 quarts.... Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't mix them and run a good, normal OCI?

I've read a couple of threads that speak very negatively and a couple that say it is just fine.

Has Shell commented on this at all?

Please don't suggest I simply buy two more quarts of one or the other.... That's not what I am asking.

When you pour the oil into the car, you will hear the car start complaining if it does not agree with the oil.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
When you pour the oil into the car......

In a Motorcycle.... Both oils are MA/MA2

Hoping there isn't any complaining......

What thread or comments speak negatively that combining two motor oil‘s is not a good thing? That has been so untrue for as long as I have been alive and changing oil starting 40 years ago. A fellow could combine 0W16 oil with 20W50 oil and any vehicle I know of would be no worse for the wear.

In your 950 - Use the full 15w-40 and the remainder use the 5w-40. Im sure that engine will shear the heck out of the 5w-40.

Originally Posted by ad244
In your 950 - Use the full 15w-40 and the remainder use the 5w-40. Im sure that engine will shear the heck out of the 5w-40.

Not the 950.... The VFRX.... Yes it calls for 30wt, but I am running 40wt.

The 950 likes T4 straight-up.

Alright... mixed 'em 50-50.... and will run it for a 3k OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bonz
What thread or comments speak negatively....

I did a URL site search of BITOG and.... I didn't pay attention to the dates of the threads. Nearly all that were negative were pre-2010...... A new search and I can't find anything negative in the past 8-9 years.

considering blending the newer synthetic 15-40 with a lesser part of 5-40 synthetic for winter use in girlfriends oil drinkin 2013 2.5L malibu. last change was 5-40 synthetic amazon brand, no more as its down a qt in a thou + not as good as liquimoly i used last time. car has only 62 thou on it + used above average oil since new but not enough for GM to fix, NO more GM junk for her! its often noted blending oils of same brand is acceptable!

Last edited:
Ok... I did it. Home, voodoo concoction of Rotella...... and Rotella! It was very difficult to do... complete rocket science!!! 2 quarts of T4 15w40 and 2 quarts of T6 5w40. ..... both with JASO specs.

Poured into my 2016 Honda VFR1200X with 2,000 miles on her.

Immediate shifting improvement over T5 10w30. It is a heavier oil, so the engine purrs a little nicer.

I will run this oil for 3,000 miles and hope it will solve for the oil consumption I have experienced with straight T6 5w40.

At 5,000 miles I will do this exact same thing again and that will be the start of 5k OCI's.

If T6 15w40 becomes widely available.... I might switch to that and run it straight. Not worried about the 15w, as I never ride a bike in temps below 30 degrees.... and that's only in a pinch.

Last edited:
Great to Hear!

I drained out some of the T6 15w-40 from the Sump of my Honda XR650R and it came out almost green?

Anybody else report this? T4 Went back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back