5W30 vs 5W20 for hot vegas weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gabe
I am surprised to see all the 10w recommendations.

Due to the high heat, fuel dilution will not be a problem. The difference in noack is trivial. 5w gives a little easier starts and a very slight fuel economy increase.

I see absolutely no advantages to using a 10w30.

Ir he's dead set on running dino, he needs the most stable dino he can get.

Really needs a synthetic tho

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: Gabe
I am surprised to see all the 10w recommendations.

Due to the high heat, fuel dilution will not be a problem. The difference in noack is trivial. 5w gives a little easier starts and a very slight fuel economy increase.

I see absolutely no advantages to using a 10w30.

Ir he's dead set on running dino, he needs the most stable dino he can get.

Really needs a synthetic tho

Since he wants to switch to dino, I think 10w30 is a good choice. If he was staying synthetic or synblend, I would say 5w30.

Last edited:
OP if you are hoping to keep your sonata for 200k miles or more, you should run the 5w-30. If you would like best drivability and performance today, run 5w-20.

After reading recent threads about 5w-30 I'm tempted to experinent with it even though I know I can't run 10w-30.

If your engine calls for a 20wt oil then M1 0-20 would be my choice. It holds up to the heat and is good for longer OCIs.

Originally Posted By: jorton
OP if you are hoping to keep your sonata for 200k miles or more, you should run the 5w-30. If you would like best drivability and performance today, run 5w-20.

After reading recent threads about 5w-30 I'm tempted to experinent with it even though I know I can't run 10w-30.

Pffffffft. My 05 ram with a hemi has over 260000 using a 20 grade. So longevity isn't in question.
I'm a thicker is better guy and its taken me a long time to put faith in a 20 grade but the market has proven that in an engine that specifies a 20 grade doesn't dissolve any faster than any other engines out there.
It took me a long time to believe,and I still am a bit apprehensive however I'm not going to second guess the guys who built it.

Wow, 3 pages and not one person asked what his daily commute was like. A 2006 with 1631 miles? What's that, 1/2 mile a day? And you guys are throwing 30 weights at him? "He should be using a xw10 if that's the case, even if it's 120 degrees every day.

OP needs to clarify his actual mileage and his daily commute before even considering any of the so called "expert" opinions in here.

As usual, this topic turned into "what's your favorite oil?"

I'd use 5W-30 year round, except for the Marauder it's what I use in all my "modern" vehicles and one is specked for 5W-20...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: jorton

Pffffffft. My 05 ram with a hemi has over 260000 using a 20 grade. So longevity isn't in question.
I'm a thicker is better guy and its taken me a long time to put faith in a 20 grade but the market has proven that in an engine that specifies a 20 grade doesn't dissolve any faster than any other engines out there.
It took me a long time to believe,and I still am a bit apprehensive however I'm not going to second guess the guys who built it.

OP's got a hemi Sonata ?

I'd like to see that !!!

Another Vegas member here...and one with a Kia/Hyundai product as well. For what ever reason Kia/Hyundai love to give A bunch of specs for oil weights. My sportage has three and I just chose to run the 5w20 in the cooler and the 5w30 in the summers.

Originally Posted By: casper
Another Vegas member here...and one with a Kia/Hyundai product as well. For what ever reason Kia/Hyundai love to give A bunch of specs for oil weights. My sportage has three and I just chose to run the 5w20 in the cooler and the 5w30 in the summers.

Good idea.

I use only 5W20 and it gets as hot or hotter here as Vegas. Remember the manufacturer tests the recommend grades in the most extreme conditions under circumstances most consumers would never touch. So the slight differences between the two grades is something I would not worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back