5w30 CJ4 with ILSAC GF4, GF5 or Energy Conserving

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I am looking for a virtual unicorn of a motor oil for my 2014 turbo Subaru. Subaru requires synthetic 5w30 with SM / SN with the "energy conserving / resource conserving" certification or ILSAC GF-4 / GF-5 starburst certification. I've pursued the SAE directory and can't find any cj4 oil with either energy conserving or ILSAC certs. Makes sense as lube suppliers probably see no need to spend the money to maintain certification for a product not marketed to a certain application. There are numerous 5w30 with sm/sn certs but do not have the "energy conserving" bull cert on them.

Does anybody know of where I can find the oil with the cents I'm looking for? I'm needing oil with actual certs due to concerns of complying with warranty. Of course I should be ok with any good 5w30 synthetic with a warranty mandated 7500 mile OCI. But I know what it takes to develop a HDEO and I'd like the best possible for this little 4 banger. Now, it's just sad the dealership mistakenly used 0w20 on the first two oil changes! Thanks.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsSearch

You won't find one. You can find CJ-4/SM-SN, but you won't find GF-4-5 ILSAC certs. or the energy conserving. The requirements are mutually exclusive. CJ-4 requires a HTHS viscosity of >/= 3.5. That precludes the energy conserving rating. The higher phosphorus content of CJ-4 oils precludes the GF-X rating.

Ed

The above Amsoil link states improved fuel economy from lower viscosity.
Lower than 15W40 is likely the base-line engine oil being compared to.

Would "energy conserving" when comparing the same grade of engine oil,
indicate the presence of an additive package that improves fuel economy
by reducing friction?
The friction may be generated by metal to metal contact, or by
viscous friction of the oil.
The need for an additional classification for energy conserving Diesel engine
oils is becoming apparent.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
Not sure if this will do, but seems close - http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1301.pdf

No, definitely would not.

Much thanks to edhackett, I researched is explanation and it makes total sense now. No unicorn oil for me. Nor is it really necessary, which I knew going into this little tail chasing exercise. Plenty of great synthetic 5w30 stuff out there with legitimate GF-4-5 ILSAC certs.

No it needs to have the API certification Starburts (gas engine below example). Their product data sheet says "This Heavy Duty Lubricant is formulated using the most advanced and newest API SM, SN/CJ-4 approved additives. While no formal engine oil
license performance is implied or guaranteed in this formulation,
(unlicensed formula) the key physical properties have been met as defined by
SAE J300, and the formula passed the tests required for API and ILSAC base oil interchange."

I'm sure it's a fine product, but my personal and professional policy is that any vehicle I own / manage that's under warranty runs on API certified lubricant's (unless OEM states something different). Statements like "...exceeds requirements of JASO MA, API CI4" I leave for my motocrossers and vintage rides.

ID1_API.jpg

663014002-M.png

http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20082.pdf

an excerpt:
Mystik JT-8 Premium Gasoline Synthetic Motor Oils meet the performance requirements for the latest gasoline-fueled engine service ILSAC GF-5/Resource Conserving and API SN and display the API Certification Mark and API Service Symbol. They have also demonstrated benefits in industry accepted fuel economy tests.

Good luck finding it, though.

their Syn blend also carries the GF-5 and SN ratings, but it does not meet your requirement for Synthetic.

why are you looking at CJ-4 rated oils?

Thanks for the tip. A CJ-4 license involves passing some very brutal tests. Many of which have nothing to do with a little modern turbo boxer grocery getter. But it's a great lube as a result. I run cj-4 in my dirt bike gearboxes, 4stroke bikes, vintage cars, race motors and so on. Unbeatable stuff.

Finding a gf-5 or Sn is not a problem.

I remember reading in BITOG that mixing a small amount of
JTO 254 into the oil would improve fuel economy with no other changes.

I should try that before my Duramax goes off warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: meborder
just kicking around i found this by Castrol
http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/truck-and-bus/engine-oils/elixion-5w-30.html

looks like your CJ-4 in a 5w30. but of course, it is not listed as energy conserving. doesn't say if it's SM or SN rated either.

interesting, to me, nonetheless

If you use the API search tool I linked in the OP, you can search for and find several cj-4 5w30 with Sm or Sn certs. Seems like all the cj-4 5w-30 have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back