5W20 VS 5W30.........Again!

We haven't beat an old horse in awhile. And, I'm thinking this post will go into more detail then our past 5W20 VS 5W30 threads. So, let's see where these 2 weights rank since we are at API rating SN, SP, SR, whatever letters ratings they are now.
Does the current 5W20 oils shear as much/less than what it's rated? The same for 5W30 oils. Are more people using 5W20 more today than 5W30, OR, vise versa? And, why? I do know most GDI engines require 5W30? Why not 5W20? :unsure:

I just changed M1 EP 0w20 out at around 5k miles and put in M1 EP 5w30 just for curiosity. It has without question made my car a bit more sluggish. Other than that I'll have to wait until next spring to sample it and find out how it holds up.

I just changed M1 EP 0w20 out at around 5k miles and put in M1 EP 5w30 just for curiosity. It has without question made my car a bit more sluggish. Other than that I'll have to wait until next spring to sample it and find out how it holds up.
Really? That's very interesting. I'm not knocking your results, but can you please elaborate a bit more about "sluggish?" Was the engine harder to start? :unsure:

I've used 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 in my Toyota zero difference in performance and zero difference in MGP in 16 years?

The 4.2 V6 in my 07 F150 was built 1997-2008. In all those years of production the tolerances and clearances had NEVER changed. Up until 1999 the spec'd oil was 5W30. In 2000 Ford spec'd 5W20 for CAFE reasons ONLY. In the 159K miles on my engine since new I have used 5W30 about 90% of the time. And, I can't tell the difference between that and 5W20. I have also used 0W40 a few times and couldn't tell the difference with that oil either. 🤷‍♂️

Really? That's very interesting. I'm not knocking your results, but can you please elaborate a bit more about "sluggish?" Was the engine harder to start? :unsure:

Purely anectodal. It just feels more sluggish. I've had this happen in the past in other non turbo 4 cylinder engines. It's a bit surprising since the viscosity and HT/HS isn't that significantly different.

The web site of the company owned by the first author:

The 4.2 V6 in my 07 F150 was built 1997-2008. In all those years of production the tolerances and clearances had NEVER changed. Up until 1999 the spec'd oil was 5W30. In 2000 Ford spec'd 5W20 for CAFE reasons ONLY. In the 159K miles on my engine since new I have used 5W30 about 90% of the time. And, I can't tell the difference between that and 5W20. I have also used 0W40 a few times and couldn't tell the difference with that oil either. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, that engine is sluggish no matter what you put in it... :)

The cap on my Soul says 5w20. I've used it in the past and it worked well. My 5w20 Maxlife didn't use any oil. My present 5w30 ST oil doesn't appear to be burning much. My 5w30 Valvoline Daily Protection goes through about a quart and a half over a 5K oci. Can't change my own in my condo and I have a pack of $10 oil filter and rotate coupons so burn or not, I'm going to use these as long as they take 'em. Advertised price is up to $20 amd I'm down to about four ten buck coupons. My reason for going 5w30 is that I feel HyunKia GDI engines are relatively tough on oil and I figure it's sheared to a 5w20 in short time anyway. I don't notice any butt dyno or mpg differences in changing weights. This subject gets brought up every couple of months. I may have started the same thread during the summer, however it's a subject I'll gladly read again and again.

I ran 5w-20 in our 2007 Accord (K24) since the car was new until a few years ago, then switched to 0w-20 for improved very cold weather starting. The engine does turn over faster and is quieter initially on very cold starts (-25 deg C or colder) with 0w-20 vs 5w-20.

Admittedly based on anecdotal evidence only, I was concerned that the 0w-20 was a bit light for hot summer highway driving. So I've been running 0w-30 for the past couple of years, and I feel this grade covers both extreme cold and hot conditions for our Honda.

In terms of fuel economy, performance, or engine sound at operating temperature, I didn't notice any difference between these three oils.

This is my 3rd F150 to own with the 4.2 V6. It's definitely not a V8, but I can beat a 3 cylinder Metro any day.
I have NEVER towed anything with my 07. It has never had a trailer ball installed. It's my grocery getter.
I nearly bought one with the flared sides in black. Never thought about running down a Metro!

When I switched over to 5W-30 the only thing I noticed was that the engine idled more quietly. There was no detected difference in performance nor gas mileage.

I went to a 0w-20 in my 2002 Silverado 5.3 at 180k miles and it didn't make a difference in mpg or anything else. The UOA's didn't change either, same protection as 5w-30. This was even towing a 5klbs trailer up and down the interstate.

I've run 0W20,5W20,and 10W30 in my Accord. The 10W30 wins hands down for engine performance. No measurable difference whatsoever in fuel economy.

Not a bit of difference in my Toyota’s gas mileage or performance wise between 0w20, 5w30, 10w30 and 0w40s. I think my preference is 10w30s but the RGT deals lead me astray.

Back