5w20 to 0w20, low oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Miller88
There was a TSB on these cars when they were new that the oil pressure light would flicker at hot idle while running spec'd 5w-20

So is that an oil sensor issue, or an oil pump issue, or a bearing clearance issue, oil filter issue, or a hot oil viscosity issue ? What was the solution ?

Sounds like it's an "engine was spec'd for 5w-30 but Ford said to run 5w-20 in it with no changes" issue.

If you want to 'save' the fill of 0W-20, dump a 15oz bottle of STP blue into it.

It will thicken up the oil w/o having to throw out what it is in it.

Originally Posted by javacontour

3. It was sold with 15W40 or 20W50 in it to get it sold and now that it's full of something closer to the specification, the real mechanical condition is evident.

Why is that a problem if it runs good? I've used 5W50 in an engine calling for 5W30 for 2 years because the oil gauge dropped to near 0 when hot and idling with whatever was in it before.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by javacontour

3. It was sold with 15W40 or 20W50 in it to get it sold and now that it's full of something closer to the specification, the real mechanical condition is evident.

Why is that a problem if it runs good? I've used 5W50 in an engine calling for 5W30 for 2 years because the oil gauge dropped to near 0 when hot and idling with whatever was in it before.

Because if it's not disclosed, it's dishonest.

The problem isn't using it. The problem is using it to HIDE the condition.

Originally Posted by Treadstone
Maybe he has a low oil pressure light because he is running a W20 in an engine spec'd for a W30? Seems to me the first course of action is to put the correct spec and weight oil in it, then go from there.
Maybe, but that will make only a small difference in pressure----though it might be just enough to keep the light from coming on.

Originally Posted by Miller88
There was a TSB on these cars when they were new that the oil pressure light would flicker at hot idle while running spec'd 5w-20

This sounds like the best lead. Track down that TSB, if you can find it. Or ask around. Perhaps someone who works on a lot of Fords will remember it.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My sister is running 5w20 in her Elantra in Dubai.

Original Post is a guy in Georgia, with a 2002 Ford. Post some pics of your sister.

Originally Posted by Silver
A more detailed timeline:

I run into chik fil a for a biscuit.
I ordered a chicken, egg and cheese biscuit with a large half and half tea with lemon.

I wonder what Stevie's sister would have ordered in Dubai,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Anduril
Sounds like it's an "engine was spec'd for 5w-30 but Ford said to run 5w-20 in it with no changes" issue.

+2

I guess it depends on why. If you are trying to hide something, that's shady. If you disclose that you saw some minor leaks and thought they might help, it's all good.

It's not the usage, it's the transparency.

Also, some people are just "sold" those oils by their quick lube place, at a higher price.

Are they trying to hide something? Probably not. Not sure they know enough to hide.

I thought I was being clear about someone being less than honest with respect to their motivations for using such an out of spec oil.

Doesn't really matter as it seems there is a TSB about using Xw20 oils in this engine and occasional oil pressure lights at hot idle.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Do people also have to disclose when they are using those High Mileage oils? They must be hiding something if they have to use it.

I changed the oil shortly after I got it to 5w20 HM. It went around 6000 miles on that with no light or odd sounds or anything (except for the cold start noise).

After about 70 more miles on the 0w20 I have not seen the light again (yet). Maybe idle dropped too low for a few seconds.

i can't seem to find any mention of a TSB.

Anyway thanks for the STP suggestion. If it flickers again I'll add some STP. If it lights up like a Christmas tree I'll change it to a 5w30. If it still lights up I'll unhook the [censored] sensor and keep my AAA card handy.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silver
I changed the oil shortly after I got it to 5w20 HM. It went around 6000 miles on that with no light or odd sounds or anything (except for the cold start noise).

After about 70 more miles on the 0w20 I have not seen the light again (yet). Maybe idle dropped too low for a few seconds.

i can't seem to find any mention of a TSB.

Anyway thanks for the STP suggestion. If it flickers again I'll add some STP. If it lights up like a Christmas tree I'll change it to a 5w30. If it still lights up I'll unhook the [censored] sensor and keep my AAA card handy.
smile.gif

Why not just verify the pressure so you know where you stand?
21.gif

I had a 2000 dodge called for 10w30. Oil change place put 5w30. Oil light stayed on at idle. I had them put 10w30 in it no oil light. Drove it to Florida drove it 4 more years no problem.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Why not just verify the pressure so you know where you stand?
21.gif

Yeah I know I'm going to buy a gauge. I don't have one.

I noticed something, KNOCK ON WOOD. It does it at around the same place on my commute. It's while I'm sitting facing uphill at an intersection, or shortly afterwards.

The oil pump was clean when I changed the pan gasket.

Really strange so far. It comes on for a few minutes during my morning commute, usually around the same place and never comes on again, not even on my drive home (which is in hotter weather).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back