5W20 or 5W30 Another Ford question

I have a Ford 3.5 Duratech, 5w20 synthetic blend is recommended. I recently had some work done. By someone I know. He knows I do all my own basic maintenance and he recommended I use 5w30 instead of 5W20, on my next oil change He recommends 5w30 on all vehicles over 100k. I know it's all part of cafe, I also know in different countries they recommend different weights.

I want to know what you guys recommend?
Thank you..

I have a Ford 3.5 Duratech, 5w20 synthetic blend is recommended. I recently had some work done. By someone I know. He knows I do all my own basic maintenance and he recommended I use 5w30 instead of 5W20, on my next oil change He recommends 5w30 on all vehicles over 100k. I know it's all part of cafe, I also know in different countries they recommend different weights.

Thank you..
Just to make it extra clear, because I foresee some misunderstandings, but you are referring to the naturally aspirated 3.5L Duratec engine and NOT the 3.5L TGDI EcoBoost, yes?

I really don't know why you'd need to switch to a 5w-30 at 100K miles. To my knowledge, these engines are known to be extremely easy on oil and are considered one of the better engine designs Ford has put out in the last few decades. I run 5w-20 in mine and have zero issues, but I don't think 5w-30 would cause any problems.

Just to make it extra clear, because I foresee some misunderstandings, but you are referring to the naturally aspirated 3.5L Duratec engine and NOT the 3.5L TGDI EcoBoost, yes?

I really don't know why you'd need to switch to a 5w-30 at 100K miles. To my knowledge, these engines are known to be extremely easy on oil and are considered one of the better engine designs Ford has put out in the last few decades. I run 5w-20 in mine and have zero issues, but I don't think 5w-30 would cause any problems.
Correct it is the Duratech engine, I'm not burning any oil, has a seep from the rear main seal, but it doesn't actually even hit the ground..I don't go through any oil.. What kind of oil you use in yours?

Correct it is the Duratech engine, I'm not burning any oil, has a seep from the rear main seal, but it doesn't actually even hit the ground..I don't go through any oil.. What kind of oil you use in yours?
Currently, I'm running Castrol GTX Ultra Clean 5w-20. I've also used PPHM 0w-20 and Amsoil SS 0w-20 with no problems. I have a little over 67K miles on mine. I usually run a 8K miles OCI. I went 14K on the Amsoil SS though.

Currently, I'm running Castrol GTX Ultra Clean 5w-20. I've also used PPHM 0w-20 and Amsoil SS 0w-20 with no problems. I have a little over 67K miles on mine. I usually run a 8K miles OCI. I went 14K on the Amsoil SS though.
I just recently had M1 5W20 in my engine the last OCI. I now have VML 5W30 in my engine.
Do you think my engine can tell the difference? :unsure:

I just recently had M1 5W20 in my engine the last OCI. I now have VML 5W30 in my engine.
Your gas gauge might-or maybe not… I always try not to change things that aren’t broken, unless they’re broken already (weak oil pressure, burning/leaking, very noisy, etc.).

No...? I pretty much said that in my first post in this topic. I'm also confused about what your post has to do with my post that you quoted which was answering the OP's question posed directly to me about what oil I'm running. An answer which did not include any comments about Xw30 or any comparison between Xw30 or Xw20 oils. It was merely a factual statement about the oil I'm running in my Taurus. Why are you asking me this?

It also just occurred to me: if your engine can't tell the difference, then why switch? Why run 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 or even switch back and forth if your engine can't tell?

Last edited:
No...? I pretty much said that in my first post in this topic. I'm also confused about what your post has to do with my post that you quoted which was answering the OP's question posed directly to me about what oil I'm running. An answer which did not include any comments about Xw30 or any comparison between Xw30 or Xw20 oils. It was merely a factual statement about the oil I'm running in my Taurus. Why are you asking me this?
I wasn't asking you, per se.......... 🤷‍♂️
And, it was an opening for me to joke about a 5W30 VS 5W20 oil debate. We haven't had one around here in a while.
I was just breaking up the monotony.
It's all good, chill. ;)

I wasn't asking you, per se..........
And, it was an opening for me to joke about a 5W30 VS 5W20 oil debate. We haven't had one around here in a while.
I was just breaking up the monotony.
It's all good, chill. ;)🤷‍♂️
I see. Usually when someone quotes a post, the following statement is directed at that person who was quoted.

But you're right, there hasn't been a good heated 20v30 argument in a while. Maybe people realized it either doesn't actually matter at all or they weren't going to change someone's mind anyway.

I have the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO with the 3.5 TGDI Ecoboost with 100k miles and Ive been using 0w20 and 5w20 in this engine since 2010.

Ford actually recommended 5w20 for my engine in the 2010 MY. Ford recommended 5w20 for the non turbo 3.5 duratec that same MY.

In 2011, Ford started recommending 5w30 for the turbocharged 3.5 Ecoboost engines, but they haven't changed the recommendation for the non-turbo duratec.

You can run both 5w20 or 5w30 safely on these engines (turbocharged and non-turbo). Both oils will work great.

Ive been using 0w20 and 5w20 in the Ecoboost variant with zero issues, and I plan to keep using 0w20 in my 3.5 Ecoboost. And I think you should use 0w20 or 5w20 in your 3.5 duratec non-turbo engine because you'll get slightly better gas mileage with 0w20 and 5w20 compared to 5w30, and 0w20 is more than good enough for your engine, because 0w20 is more than good enough even for my Turbocharged 3.5 Ecoboost 👍

Thank you..
I would have switched to 5W-30 at the first oil change.

Thank you..
I use 5w-20 in my Ford as recommended. I would trust Ford engineers over the advice of your mechanic.

Back