switching from 5w20 to 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep 2.4l world engine calls for 5w20 in the manual. Same Jeep exported to Europe calls for 5w30. Same Jeep sold in Australia calls for 10w40.
5w20 is fine oil for most cars, but it is strictly a CAFE requirement, no such thing as "the tolerances are too tight for 5w30" or "the engine was designed for 5w20", thats all a load of [censored].
Use 5w20 or 5w30 in your ford/mazda, whatever you want will work just fine.

There in not a whole lot of difference between the two viscosities that would make a noticeable difference. But I would have to recommend the MFGs recommended viscosities.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
My Jeep 2.4l world engine calls for 5w20 in the manual. Same Jeep exported to Europe calls for 5w30. Same Jeep sold in Australia calls for 10w40.
5w20 is fine oil for most cars, but it is strictly a CAFE requirement, no such thing as "the tolerances are too tight for 5w30" or "the engine was designed for 5w20", thats all a load of [censored].
Use 5w20 or 5w30 in your ford/mazda, whatever you want will work just fine.
Clearances . The clearances are too tight. tolerances are the allowed variation allowed in the clearances. for example .0025 clearance + or - .0003, I made up the numbers.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
...because 1 grade is available on sale, and yours isn't? That's silly thinking. Use what the manual says. Save a few bucks elsewhere.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

You are splitting hairs the difference between the two is nothing. You could run 5w20. 5w30 or 10w30 and it wouldnt make a bit of difference. What I dont get is that 0w20 exceeds the 5w20 standards, yet the same crowd doesnt feel that the 5w30 too exceeds the 5w20 standards just at the other end of the spectrum and the more important end, if high temperatures become a issue.

Xw-30 will work perfectly in your engine, and may well be the oil Honda specifies for the car in another country. Enjoy your rebate $

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You are splitting hairs the difference between the two is nothing. You could run 5w20. 5w30 or 10w30 and it wouldnt make a bit of difference. What I dont get is that 0w20 exceeds the 5w20 standards, yet the same crowd doesnt feel that the 5w30 too exceeds the 5w20 standards just at the other end of the spectrum and the more important end, if high temperatures become a issue.

Show us a bottle of 5w30 where it states, "suitable for use in vehicles where SAE 5w20 is recommended". NO -- it's not going to hurt the vehicle. There is little difference. I just don't get the reasoning of buying a non-spec'd weight because it's on sale. What happened to the BITOG philosophy of "using what the manual says"?

The fact the the OP even asked the question tends me to believe he already knew the "correct" answer. If in doubt, ask your dealer.

Show us a bottle of 5w30 where it states, "suitable for use in vehicles where SAE 5w20 is recommended". NO -- it's not going to hurt the vehicle. There is little difference. I just don't get the reasoning of buying a non-spec'd weight because it's on sale. What happened to the BITOG philosophy of "using what the manual says"?

The fact the the OP even asked the question tends me to believe he already knew the "correct" answer. If in doubt, ask your dealer.

I thought BITOG philosophy was "if it's pretty much the same, go with the cheapest!"

What happened to the BITOG philosophy of "using what the manual says"?

That philosophy is a load of [censored] if you ask me. This forum would not be in existence if that was the cold hard answer to every single oil question out there.

Of course the O.P. already knows that he "should" be using what the manual calls for. He is asking if any harm will come of using a 5W30 instead of a 5W20, knowing full well that the manual calls for 5W20. He doesn't need to be told that he should follow the manual.

The fact of the matter here is that of course he can use the 5W30 with no ill effects at all. Whether he should use it or not is not our business. Will he affect his warranty on the Accord? Maybe. But that's for him to decide, not us. I've used many different grades of oil in my cars, none of which required any warranty work whatsoever. I'm not saying it's right either, but the facts are the facts.

To the OP, go ahead and use the 5W30 if you feel the money savings are worth it. Will not affect a thing.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
...because 1 grade is available on sale, and yours isn't? That's silly thinking. Use what the manual says. Save a few bucks elsewhere.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

DO you guys have any idea what oil is speced in other countries? If not, why do you think it is so important to follow the manual, just to have something to post?

Often, the same engine can spec either oil in the USA as well.

Manual followers are no fun. How could someone lead such a boring life. No sense of adventure, no thrill, no attempts to perfect. Anybody can read the manual and do what it says. I think we are looking past the agenda of car companies and Cafe, possibly looking for better protection to fit our specific needs. Not a fuel economy standard. If 5w20 was all that, suitable for all cars in any climates, why would they even sell any other weight? Why wouldny all the other countries use it too. Hmmmm better look that one up in your manual.

Manual followers are no fun. How could someone lead such a boring life.

As far as I'm concerned, people can do all the unsupported things that they like. I only disapprove when they have problems and try to blame them on, e.g., ILSAC GF-X and CAFE. People can run lawnmower oil in their engines for all I care, as long as they accept responsibility for the consequences.

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
Manual followers are no fun. How could someone lead such a boring life.

As far as I'm concerned, people can do all the unsupported things that they like. I only disapprove when they have problems and try to blame them on, e.g., ILSAC GF-X and CAFE. People can run lawnmower oil in their engines for all I care, as long as they accept responsibility for the consequences.

ARCOGraphite is doing just that actually! LMOA!!!!

Panzerman,

Oil Romantics are few and far between. When the last one is gone the forums shall be without form, and void; and darkness shall fill the deep...And only the Standards will move on the face of the WalMart shelves

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Panzerman,

Oil Romantics are few and far between. When the last one is gone the forums shall be without form, and void; and darkness shall fill the deep...And only the Standards will move on the face of the WalMart shelves
Well said, I feel like a kid looking in at all the ice cream flavors when I see the oil section at Walmart. How could a guy be satisfied to just use one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back