5w20 oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. Thinking of using a 5w20 next in the Camry. Probably just do 5k oci also since i had to add just shy of 1 quart over a 10k oci with a 10w40 HM oil. Valve cover gasket has slight weep on corner but not terrible. Im thinking of QSGB 5W20 or QSUD or even ST 5W20 Conventional

What say the BITOG faithful
smile.gif

The price for Super Tech synthetic being $15.88 for the 5 quart just is soo hard to pass on. Same price for the ST High Mileage Full Synthetic -- try either one 5W20 flavor.

Dale

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
The price for Super Tech synthetic being $15.88 for the 5 quart just is soo hard to pass on. Same price for the ST High Mileage Full Synthetic -- try either one 5W20 flavor.

Dale

Yeah, looked online at my store and it went up to $15.98. May go with that

Originally Posted by mclasser
Why the jump from 10w40 to 5w20?

Only used the M1 10w40HM cause it was $1 a quart

Besides, i dont have much of a stash of oil, just filters
smile.gif

Maybe the 5w20 will help consumption or who knows

Last edited:
You may also want to compare Mobil Super full synthetic, and Castrol GTX Magnatec full synthetic. Those are in the same price ballpark as lower priced synthetics. All are good oils.

I would not worry about weeping valve cover gasket it is no biggy you could go another 100,000 like that. By the time you need major maintenance they would replace that gasket then anyway.

Adam how long ago has it been since you put that PP 5w30 and TG 4967 in and on your Camry?

But I'm curious what that weeping is going to do with that 5w-20.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by mclasser
Why the jump from 10w40 to 5w20?
Winter coming?

Yep, last winter the Camry started fine even in -25F in central PA.

Originally Posted by wdn
You may also want to compare Mobil Super full synthetic, and Castrol GTX Magnatec full synthetic. Those are in the same price ballpark as lower priced synthetics. All are good oils.

I would not worry about weeping valve cover gasket it is no biggy you could go another 100,000 like that. By the time you need major maintenance they would replace that gasket then anyway.

Yeah, I'll have to see if Rural King has Mobil super Syn still as last time it was cheaper than any other place.

You may notice less oil consumption running a 5w20. Mobil 1 or valvoline high mileage would be my choice. If you have NAPA auto in your location NAPA high mileage is same as valvoline rebottled.

If you're sticking to less than $20 for oil, the QSUD is likely the best bet. Based on consumption, I'd have no qualms running it 10k easy.

If you go up to $25, PP or Valvoline FS with Maxlife a great choice too!

Originally Posted by Zee09
Chevron Supreme
Good moly and boron

Chevron Supreme is a great inexpensive dino oil. Would be my first choice if it's available in your area, otherwise try Citgo (Mystic or Harvest King in some areas) or Phillips Shield (used to be TropArtic). ST is not a bad oil, but the aforementioned three have given me great UOA results.

Might be good for those cold if it ever gets cold starts up there in eastern PA! I'm a fairly big fan of Magnatec 5W20, but there's other good ones, MaxLife in either full syn or blend, even VWB/Daily Protection did well under heavy use/abuse in the company Transit.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Might be good for those cold if it ever gets cold starts up there in eastern PA! I'm a fairly big fan of Magnatec 5W20, but there's other good ones, MaxLife in either full syn or blend, even VWB/Daily Protection did well under heavy use/abuse in the company Transit.

Im in southwest PA near West Virginia border. I ended up getting ST 5w20 conventional as VWB os $19~ now and no 5w20 Valvoline Syn. Also wal mart out of stock on 5w20 ST Syn and high mile syn
frown.gif

For 5k oci ST will be fine i think

Originally Posted by dave1251
SuperTech HM would be my choice.

I use this in both cars.
8K or so change with a Fram Ultra filter.
Neither cars engines have blown up yet.
Temperature swings in Denver from 100 degrees to minus 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back