5w20 in 4.6L Ford work van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Some comments made earlier refer to me with an invitation to respond

1 - I am not a Guru on UOAs (see below) and others on here have at least as much experience as I do

2 - Tear down inspections usually include all except removing the crankshaft really. This includes extracting all liners and dissassembling pistons. Measure-up must occur to see if the major wearing parts are within the Manufacturer's specifications for reuse

3 - A significant comparison of lubricants did occur and this is well documented. I cannot make this information available. In the past I have published pictures of one of my engine's components(liners, bearings etc). In this particular case the engine's Manufacturer carried out the teardown and reassembly - the engine had done 1.12m kms (around 695k miles) as I recall. It has now done in well in excess of 2.5m kms - I no longer own it
I always sold my vehicles at around 1m - 1.3m kms and did not carry out any major rebuilding work!

4 - Tear down inspections in my field (for a number of engine/vehicle Manufacturers, Oil Companies and others) have occurred over many many years commencing seriously around 1960! They include all manner of petrol and diesel engines from around the Globe!

5 - It is common when field testing lubricants (past practice at least) to select a series of engine families operating in a similar application. And of course where utilisation is high so that results accumulate quickly and where UOAs (as only one factor) can be taken on a systematic basis. This testing may take two or three years and may rack up several million kms. Formulation changes typically occur during this process

6 - Yes I do promote using the Manufacturers Approved lubricanst and viscosities as mandated. These (viscosities) can change of course on a Global basis!

I won't go on any more.........................however:

I wrote this as Post a couple of days ago for another Thread and never Posted it - perhaps it is still relevant!

STARTS
Perhaps an opinion on reality regarding basic (BITOG type) single pass (SP) UOAs might help

SP UOAs are a great "tool" in assessing the condition of a lubricant and its suitability for further service. If an engine condition issue exists (such as an internal coolant leak) that affects the condition of the lubricant and this is interpreted correctly (and other supporting data is also available) a deteriorating condition may be able to be halted then and there

Wear metals are another story however and a SP UOA is only a very rough and usually inaccurate guide to what is wearing and at what rate. Trending may assist this process but this takes time. Sadly it is usually too late once "conclusive" data is accumulated

Knowledge of the engine's (or component's) metallurgy and the lubricant's formulation structure are also helpful ingredients in assessing UOAs correctly

That said, I have used trended UOAs for nearly 50 years to:

a) dispute Engine Manufacturer's performance claim's regarding serious engine failures when under Warranty (various Warranty claims accepted)

b) confirm that incorrect lubricants were used that caused a series of major engine failures (various Fleet's fault)

c) confirm that inaction when the lubricant's condition was poor resulted in very expensive engine failures (various Warranty claims denied)

d) obtain reliable maximum OCIs for Fleets

e) select appropriate lubricants for the application (Fleets)

f) change the design of various major component's (engines, diffs, gearboxes)

g) change the formulation of various lubricants and their intended application

h) satisfy various other lubricant/lubrication purposes

As for sudden major "incidents" I have never seen SP UOAs conclusively predict a turbocharger failure, highlight excessive cam lobe wear or cam roller spindle failure, predict-isolate excessive ring wear (except where serious air leaks are present - silicate/iron levels linked). I have never seen excessive cam chain or oil pump wear isolated - the list goes on. The list is long! Trended UOAs may have highlighted a need to monitor conditions more closely in some of these circumstances however, and in certain instances they did!

So IMHO predicting excessive ring pack wear in isolation would be very hard using basic SP UOAs as the sole diagnostic "tool"! If only it was all so easy!!!

Comparing lubricants via wear metal uptakes rates may be possible is certain conditions. These would include same engine family, predictable application and operation and some millions of miles/hour of use - withe each lubricant! Easier waya are used today such as RATT and the likes - this equals wear measurement in controlled conditions and in real time

Incidently my first Paper on UOAs was written in 1975. This was done after spending time in the USA and Europe on a "Technical Industry Fellowship" that embraced working closely with the ATA, Shell, Castrol, GM, Chrysler, Leyland, Cummins, Detroit-Allison, Scania, Volvo, Daimler Benz, ZF and the Trucking Industries of Germany, Sweden and Denmark.

At 70 and retired, I am still learning about lubricants, their application - and about UOAs!

I have no "linkage" to any Oil Company. I once (40 years ago) worked for Caltex-Chevron in a Technical capacity in Scandinavia. I have worked very closely with Shell, Castrol and Mobil as a Commercial user, Road Transport Industry Technical Advisor and as a professional Consultant!
ENDS

Please do not refer to me as an "Expert" or a "Guru" on lubricants and etc - I only Post because I enjoy it and can share my experience and maybe help others. I seek no kudos from this!

Doug:

You take our flattery as a true gentleman. I must say though, and I hope you can understand our viewpoint, that to those of us who do NOT have your level of experience or knowledge, that you are in fact an expert. Even if you do not regard yourself in such a manner.

I think I can speak for many on this board when I say that your input, experiences and wealth of knowledge are highly regarded and we look forward to your posts.

I am quite glad that you have chosen to share your experiences here. You have helped me a great deal during my stay and have eliminated a great deal of confusion for me.

-Chris

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
6 - Yes I do promote using the Manufacturers Approved lubricanst and viscosities as mandated. These (viscosities) can change of course on a Global basis!

Great info Mr. Hillary. The bit of info above sums it up for me.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Son has used MC 5w20 and an MC filter in his 05 4.6L Explorer since new, now ~65k, no intention of switching. Ford did extensive testing under all conditions including heavy towing. Good enough for me.

Initially I was hesitant to pour 5W20 in my 08 Jeep calling for 5W20 only. I read that Ford Article, and a few others, searched this board, and went with the 5W20. It is working out well, so well that I use it in my back spec'd 93 Aerostar with 178,000 miles on it. I also read the article about the Ford guy who is opposed to using 5W20. He offered no proof other than his opinion. These topics always end in a thick vs thin debate.. To the OP, use whatever makes you happy, if it were my new Ford I'd use what they recommend and not look back. JMO

there is a TSB to use 5w30 in that Jeep my friend...do some searching and you will find it.

you can see here it was for the 'compass' model...my mother has a compass and step father has a liberty...they get 5w20 right now but I have made them aware that 5w30 might be better for our climate and also about this TSB...they will probably do whatever I recommend. I did not catch what model Jeep you had but this should say at least something about 5w20 & its protection in certain apps

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/TSB/Caliber_2600107.pdf
And, it might NOT be better or even as good. This started with your advising some to use other than Ford's current oil recommendation of 5w20 in the 4.6L. Then pointed to a tsb that doesn't apply to domestic US vehicle applications. The international EXPORT oil recommendations are different for many vehicles, so there is no major revelation here, at least not for me. Manufacturers have different recommendations for many different applications, eg., turbo. Does that mean that the turbo application is appropriate for all vehicles?

So, if using other than the manufacturers recommendation, ie., 5w30, makes you more comfortable, you should do that. That said, I'm comfortable with using the manufacturers (Ford, Honda et. al.) recommendation and testing of 5w20.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Doug:

You take our flattery as a true gentleman. I must say though, and I hope you can understand our viewpoint, that to those of us who do NOT have your level of experience or knowledge, that you are in fact an expert. Even if you do not regard yourself in such a manner.

I think I can speak for many on this board when I say that your input, experiences and wealth of knowledge are highly regarded and we look forward to your posts.

I am quite glad that you have chosen to share your experiences here. You have helped me a great deal during my stay and have eliminated a great deal of confusion for me.

-Chris

+1

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Doug:

-Chris

+1

+2

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Ben, I call severe Male Bovine Manure on your anectdote. Sorry but your credibility is nil with me now. Don't bother trying to explain it away. I am done with you.

That's fine, it doesn't change happened in those trucks though.
21.gif

you can see here it was for the 'compass' model...my mother has a compass and step father has a liberty...they get 5w20 right now but I have made them aware that 5w30 might be better for our climate and also about this TSB...they will probably do whatever I recommend. I did not catch what model Jeep you had but this should say at least something about 5w20 & its protection in certain apps

be sure to scroll down on the PDF doc to see the addendum to the owner's manual

Thanks for posting. Seems it is not for the US market. I ran it by my buddy who works for Jeep and he got back to me saying that 5W20 is still hard to get in other parts of the world, and it seems Jeep was getting some questions about using something easier to get, so they suggested 5W30 in that TSB. I believe those vehicles rolled off the line with 5W20 printed on the fill cap and the OM, which might have caused some confusion. I think the Liberty and other Jeeps already give alternate oils according to him.

I was more concerned about my Liberty and he said run the 5W20. Again thanks for posting the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting. Seems it is not for the US market. I ran it by my buddy who works for Jeep and he got back to me saying that 5W20 is still hard to get in other parts of the world, and it seems Jeep was getting some questions about using something easier to get, so they suggested 5W30 in that TSB. I believe those vehicles rolled off the line with 5W20 printed on the fill cap and the OM, which might have caused some confusion. I think the Liberty and other Jeeps already give alternate oils according to him.

I was more concerned about my Liberty and he said run the 5W20. Again thanks for posting the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to help (sort of)...

Glad to help (sort of)...

?
21.gif

I think he's glad that he helped you, but it didn't prove the point that he thought it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back