5w20 in 4.6L Ford work van

Status
Not open for further replies.
the other day I saw a shop using this in a large work van and I commented on it and they said they do it cause that is what it says on the cap and the ONLY oil they use in those Fords is Motorcraft 5w20. I told them to see if the manual allows for thicker oil and if it was my van I'd be using 5w30 in it due to hauling heavy loads and lots of intown stop & go...They also said it was expensive and I reminded them of profit margin if they got the 5qt jugs at wally world :)

Tellm that heavy load [censored] to the fleet of ford s hauling around the olfield here in 5w20. 5w20 is simply the best selection for the application.

Not according to a guy who has torn down dozens of these engines during OEM durability testing.

Tell that to the fleets of heavy work trucks, One that I am closely part of and participate in approval of changes to that work harder than anyone would subject a personal vehicle.

Durability is not an issue with 5w20 in heavy duty use. The real world results usurps the opinion of a single dissident.

Wanting to take "special" care of your one or two personal vehicles is understandable.. but that good feeling does not mean results. Results can be demonstrated not in the hundreds but in the Thousands of Ford Gasoline trucks that are in my companies fleet using the factory recomended fluids. To not use the recomendation would require an explanation. There is no explanation within logic to go outside of spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Not according to a guy who has torn down dozens of these engines during OEM durability testing.

That "guy" hasn't provided any proof or measurements, or anything but the fact that he says so, has he?

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Tell that to the fleets of heavy work trucks, One that I am closely part of and participate in approval of changes to that work harder than anyone would subject a personal vehicle.

Durability is not an issue with 5w20 in heavy duty use. The real world results usurps the opinion of a single dissident.

Wanting to take "special" care of your one or two personal vehicles is understandable.. but that good feeling does not mean results. Results can be demonstrated not in the hundreds but in the Thousands of Ford Gasoline trucks that are in my companies fleet using the factory recomended fluids. To not use the recomendation would require an explanation. There is no explanation within logic to go outside of spec.

Why that is far too logical!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Son has used MC 5w20 and an MC filter in his 05 4.6L Explorer since new, now ~65k, no intention of switching. Ford did extensive testing under all conditions including heavy towing. Good enough for me.

Initially I was hesitant to pour 5W20 in my 08 Jeep calling for 5W20 only. I read that Ford Article, and a few others, searched this board, and went with the 5W20. It is working out well, so well that I use it in my back spec'd 93 Aerostar with 178,000 miles on it. I also read the article about the Ford guy who is opposed to using 5W20. He offered no proof other than his opinion. These topics always end in a thick vs thin debate.. To the OP, use whatever makes you happy, if it were my new Ford I'd use what they recommend and not look back. JMO

+1 And well said.

Boy you showed those ignorant lube jockeys how much you know about lubes.

Not on bitog but it seems that all the 5w-20 haters always seem to think pennzoil and QS sludge engines as well. Is the easy belief of urban legends a common trait among these types?

I just don't understand the motivation behind the "desire" to see 5w-20 NOT be used.

It's like some saving the whale thing ..except whales in this case aren't endangered.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I just don't understand the motivation behind the "desire" to see 5w-20 NOT be used.

It's like some saving the whale thing ..except whales in this case aren't endangered.

not against it...but specifically I would not want to run it in an HD application...think about it...if you had a '79 Chevy 1 ton, you would probably run 10w40 or maybe even 15w40 HDEO in it for heavy duty useage. I know those Fords are modular engines and not pushrods but I am trying to illustrate the point that I am not making the argument to ban 5w20; rather that I would not use it in a heavy duty application.

But if it works, why not? The main reason is that it's the mind set we have. We have been brought up with the notion the hotter it gets, the thicker we go. The new 5W-20 oils are very well made and do an excellent job when used where recommended.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Son has used MC 5w20 and an MC filter in his 05 4.6L Explorer since new, now ~65k, no intention of switching. Ford did extensive testing under all conditions including heavy towing. Good enough for me.

Initially I was hesitant to pour 5W20 in my 08 Jeep calling for 5W20 only. I read that Ford Article, and a few others, searched this board, and went with the 5W20. It is working out well, so well that I use it in my back spec'd 93 Aerostar with 178,000 miles on it. I also read the article about the Ford guy who is opposed to using 5W20. He offered no proof other than his opinion. These topics always end in a thick vs thin debate.. To the OP, use whatever makes you happy, if it were my new Ford I'd use what they recommend and not look back. JMO

there is a TSB to use 5w30 in that Jeep my friend...do some searching and you will find it.

Would it be possible to post a link, or copy and paste it in a PM? It would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem making a change to 0W30. I just called my dealer and aksed about it unless they're pulling my chain they said use 5W20. Thanks

My dealer told me that 10W-30 was "dangerous" to use in my 4.6, even though the official shop manual calls for it as the recommended oil, so don't go on the dealer's word. They'll tell you to use whatever they're selling. In Australia, they break in Ford modular engines on 15W-40 and specify other 40 weights for after break-in (10W-40, 5W-40, and 0W-40). Now I know this is because of the warmer climate, but still, heavier oils will run fine in these engines, provided they are used under the correct temperatures. Will modulars run fine on 5W-20? Sure. But don't get fooled into thinking that's the only oil for these engines, or even that it's the best oil for these engines. My car has been running great on 10W-30...much smoother than the 5W-20 I just drained out of it. Much quieter, too.

Tell that to the fleets of heavy work trucks

Trucks that haven't seen teardowns doing comparative testing of the impact of different viscosities on the engines. Simply because the engines haven't been blowing up left and right doesn't tell me that "5w20 is simply the best selection for the application", as you stated.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

That "guy" hasn't provided any proof or measurements, or anything but the fact that he says so, has he?

So we can trust him to be lead systems engineer for the 2003 Aviator 4.6 4V and the 2005 Mustang 4.6 3V, but we can't trust his observations regarding the impact of different viscosity oils in severe usage based on actual engine tear downs? Willfull ignorance if I've ever seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back