5w20 Hard to Find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed to change oil last weekend. Wal-Mart only carries 5w20 in Pennzoil and Castrol, the 2 most expensive brands. Same at K-Mart. Autozone had Pennzoil, Castrol, and Motorcraft. The MC was $2.39/quart.

I gave up trying to find a decent priced 5w20, and ended up buying 5w30 Havoline. It was $1/qt cheaper than 5w20.

EPA granted some fuel mileage credits to Ford a few years ago if Ford would back-recommend 5w20 on older models, and if 5w20 became readily available at competitive prices. Ford did back-recommend and initially had Motorcraft 5w20 at Wal-Mart for cheap. But since Ford pulled their oil off the shelves, Wal-Mart got rid of almost all 5w20. Probably wasn't selling well. If this trend continues, I wonder how this may affect EPAs fuel mileage credits to Ford?

I would of bought the Motorcraft.... it's a synthetic blend.

However, in your climate, you are better-off with 5W-30. Havoline is a good choice. If you have any Advance Auto Parts near you, they sell Havoline 5W-20. You may have to ask for it/have them order it - if it's not on the shelf.

AutoZone here carries a bunch of different 5w-20's now, including Motorcraft.

[ May 02, 2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

Advance Auto is on the other side of town. I had already spend an hour trying to find what I wanted. The Autozone carries Superflo, but not in 5w20.

You can lead a horse to water, but ...

Most Sunday papers have ads for the major chains. If you do not get the paper, check out the Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions section of this forum. Sales and rebates of the major chains are usually posted there. Also most of the majors websites list their ads by zip code.

Plan ahead and save time and money!

cheers.gif

[ May 02, 2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

I have been running 5w-20 Motorcraft semi-syn in my Acura, but at the next change want to switch to Havoline 5w-20. I have found lots of 5w-30, but no 5w-20 in any of the auto parts stores in my vicinity. I did find some 5w-20 Chevron Supreme thinking it would be similar if not the same as Havo, but it was GF-3, not 4. I may wind up ordering what I need.
mad.gif

I have heard some very good things about the Motorcraft
5W-20. Go to the Acurazine/TL forum and look into
RoadRage's posts. He's another oil guy.
Craig

I have been reading RoadRage's comments for months. Yes, he likes both Moto and Havo for dino oils. I understand that Havoline has a very high moly count and that's what Honda products hunger for.

Today- May 2nd, The shelves in my local Walmart had plenty of Penzoil 5 qt jugs in 5-20 flavor for $7.77.
Thats $1.55/qt.
Motorcraft is good but Penzoil for this price is a fine alternative.

Yep, Motorcraft is pricey now and no more at Wallys. In the Navigator I ran both 5-20 and 5-30 Motorcraft and noticed no practical mpg differences myself.

Since I don't seem to gain anything, I don't even look for 5-20 and with Motorcraft at high prices, I'll probably just start using the bulk Pennzoil 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back