5w-40 max operating temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
HeavyAssault06: What temps are you running now and why do you want to know? More background might get you better answers. Very few engine run anything near maximum limits on the street.. even towing.

Originally Posted By: HeavyAssault06
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I used to run a test at Cummins Engine Co. called the Hot Box Test. This consisted of running at engine at rated power for 200 hours with coolant temperature of 230F. Since Cummins engines use oil to coolant heat exchangers, this meant oil pan temperatures of 265F. Our standard oil for test engines was 15w40 Valvoline Premium Blue (no surprise there!), and we never had a problem with oil oxidation.

WOW....I feel pretty good about using Valvoline Extreme Blue now.

Was this run on all Cummins engines?

Unless there was a special requirement for a different oil in a test, all of the engines in Cummins Tech Center ran Premium Blue. There were 88 test cells there, so we used it by the barrel. I don't know if it's still their standard oil for testing.

I used to run a test at Cummins Engine Co. called the Hot Box Test. This consisted of running at engine at rated power for 200 hours with coolant temperature of 230F. Since Cummins engines use oil to coolant heat exchangers, this meant oil pan temperatures of 265F. Our standard oil for test engines was 15w40 Valvoline Premium Blue (no surprise there!), and we never had a problem with oil oxidation.

WOW....I feel pretty good about using Valvoline Extreme Blue now.

Was this run on all Cummins engines?

Unless there was a special requirement for a different oil in a test, all of the engines in Cummins Tech Center ran Premium Blue. There were 88 test cells there, so we used it by the barrel. I don't know if it's still their standard oil for testing.

I would guess that is still the case. Does this test have a corresponding certification number? Like Cummins CES 20081 or something like that?

I don't recall if the test had a CES number that would be published for public review, or if it was strictly an internal specification. There were a number of harsh tests that we did to abuse the engines. Hot Box was one of the short, simple ones.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
HeavyAssault06: What temps are you running now and why do you want to know? More background might get you better answers. Very few engine run anything near maximum limits on the street.. even towing.

There is an on-going ECT/EOT debate regarding the Ford 6.0L. Ford released a TSB citing a 15* delta between ECT/EOT to prevent EGR cooler failure. When a owner decides to delete/limit EGR function this delta will no longer apply. Others feel you MUST run the the ECT/EOT within the temp delta otherwise the sky will fall and the Earth will consume itself. I wanted to understand the designed max operating temperature of standard and synthetic diesel rated motor oil. With this info I can determine what to expect out of the motor oil and how long one could abuse it without the motor oil failing. I know there are tons of other variables one could throw in this equation. I didn't want to start a scientific argument over opinions. I don't want to hear about information I already know of as well.

For the most part the answer has been given of 250*-350* sustained use max operating temperature. Since I'm operating at about 200*-225* I feel everything is okay and there's no fear about driving/using the truck as I always have in the past.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

There is an on-going ECT/EOT debate regarding the Ford 6.0L. Ford released a TSB citing a 15* delta between ECT/EOT to prevent EGR cooler failure. When a owner decides to delete/limit EGR function this delta will no longer apply. Others feel you MUST run the the ECT/EOT within the temp delta otherwise the sky will fall and the Earth will consume itself. I wanted to understand the designed max operating temperature of standard and synthetic diesel rated motor oil. With this info I can determine what to expect out of the motor oil and how long one could abuse it without the motor oil failing. I know there are tons of other variables one could throw in this equation. I didn't want to start a scientific argument over opinions. I don't want to hear about information I already know of as well.

For the most part the answer has been given of 250*-350* sustained use max operating temperature. Since I'm operating at about 200*-225* I feel everything is okay and there's no fear about driving/using the truck as I always have in the past.

As I stated in a previous post, with the 6.0 the PCM will begin to de-fuel at 253f, so the upper limits you have mentioned won't apply to you. Personally, even with the EGR deleted, I wouldn't feel comfortable with steady temps above 235f.

I agree PCM will de-fuel at 253* and since I use an oil rated ABOVE that threshold I should be very well protected against engine damage.

I don't want to run the truck at a steady temp since Murphy is always around to offer help. I feel your 235* is safe, smart and well within the design limits of the motor and oil being used. I doubt I will ever see 235* with my routine driving. Given the ability to tow I know the temps will rise so 235* is an easy mark to back down off the pedal when it runs high.

I'm happy to learn from all who have posted here. The information gives me room to breathe yet keep my motor happy and running hard. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back