5W/40 home blend

My daughter's 2002 Chevy Blazer, 4.3 V6, uses a lot of oil. Doesn't smoke. Replaced PCV valve. It's a beater, so not looking to pour money into it. Going to switch to a thicker oil, 5W/40, to see if we can reduce consumption. 5W/40 blends are scarce and usually synthetic. I purchased Mobil1 for this go around.

What oil weights/ratios can I blend to come up with a roughly 5W/40 equivalent? Conventional oils are fine. Sump capacity with filter is 4.5 quarts.

Noack is inconsequential in this situation. buy the cheapest name brand oil that the starting viscosity will allow starting.

I'm concerned about cold weather start up. This is South Dakota. Winter is coming!!!! I could put the magnet heater on it though.

AA032FFE-887E-4284-A8E8-E1E0206A8925.jpeg

Penrite HPR40 a high zinc 25W-70 that has been keeping beaters on the road in Australia for decades.

Otherwise an API SL / SN / SP rated 10W40 or mixed fleet HDEO 15W40.

Last edited:
Viscosity calculator

If you were in Europe, I would say try some Mannol esters for ten bucks.
Esters should condition seals and act to free up stuck piston rings.
Not sure what the options are in the US - other than some Redline, Amsoil oils and Valvoline Blue Restore(I think they are pricey). In case it is more of a leak, Valvoline Maxlife has extra seal conditioner as well.

Given the cold conditions, a 0W would be smarter IMHO. There's many good products out there, and unless you have free oil laying around then home brewing will cost as much as just buying something. QS 5w40 Euro, Castrol has 0w40 and 5w40, M1 has a excellent 0w40, Valvoline has excellent 5w and 0w in SAE 40. They can be had at $3 per qt...

Often starting in Sub-Zero temps. -20 to -30 wind-chill. Last winter was pretty mild but you never know year to year.
Any grade with a 5W winter rating is good down to -35F or so, wind chill is irrelevant. Anything lower than that you should use an oil with a 0W rating.

And when you mix two oils even with the same winter rating there's no real guarantee it will retain that rating.

Definitely get a magnetic pan heater. While in Wyoming, I just stuck it on the side of the pan and left it there all winter. Between that and the electric battery blanket, my cars started strong. Use a full-syn 5W-40 or 0W-30. The winters up there don't play around.....some years.

Back