5w-40 Beginning TBNs

Thanks for the replies. I'm learning a lot here.

Not looking to extend OCI. I follow the engine oil monitor but typical is around 10k in the past but I've moved and do more inner city small town driving and a fair amount of idling like at a drive thru or Sonic type restaurant. So was looking for the best oil with a good base TBN start number to insure I have a good amount of detergent ability to start with.

I have done UOA before. The latest one had 7,720 miles on the used oil (T6 5w-40) and the TBN was 3.4.
Just so you’re not confused: detergents in an oil do not function like laundry detergents. They do not clean.

Detergents in engine oil help keep things in suspension so they can be collected by the filter and neutralize combustion
acids.

Metallic detergents are classified into sulfonate, phenate, salicylate, and phosphonate detergents, based on the polar functional groups. Detergents can also be categorized into neutral and overbased based on their basicity. They are well-known to form micellar structures and provide various important functions in lubricants.

Scientific Fundamentals​

Introduction​

Both metallic detergents and ashless dispersants are essential additives in automotive lubricants. They are commonly used in engine oils and transmission fluids to keep engine and transmission components clean. In such applications, both are considered detergents in the conventional chemical sense (Jao and Passut 2006; Rizvi 2009). They are also used for friction control for driveline lubricant applications.

5w40 Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme TBN is 11

5w40 Mobil DELVAC 1 TBN is 12

But in Texas like said previously I doubt you need a 5w when a 15w would work fine.
The manual and engine oil fill cap specifically call for 5w-40. Since it's such a small 3.0L motor, I am reluctant to go to 3x the recommended beginning viscosity. If I understand things correctly, startup is the time more wear occurs before oil pressure builds. Of course that's accumulative over the lifetime of the engine. The oil filter sits on top of the motor so the cartridge drains and has to be filled at startup to build pressure from what I understand.

Still not quite sure why at least 3 posts recommend 15w-40 when there are diesel engine oils in 5w-40 such as the T6, Valvoline Blue Line Premium, and DELVAC and that's not including Amsoil and Schaefer brands.

15W just says that the dynamic viscosity (how much force it takes to pump the oil) of the oil is below a certain threshold at -20C(CCS) and -25C(MRV) while 5W has to stay below a similar threshold but down at -30C for CCS and -35C for MRV. 5W40 HDEO is pretty much the same kinematic viscosity as 15W40 at 40C and 100C but the 5W40 has a greater tendency to shear over the oil change interval while the 15W40 will retain most of it's viscosity, and in a warm climate where temperatures rarely get below freezing the difference in cold weather pumpability of 5W40 and 15W40 will not really matter.

The manual and engine oil fill cap specifically call for 5w-40. Since it's such a small 3.0L motor, I am reluctant to go to 3x the recommended beginning viscosity. If I understand things correctly, startup is the time more wear occurs before oil pressure builds. Of course that's accumulative over the lifetime of the engine. The oil filter sits on top of the motor so the cartridge drains and has to be filled at startup to build pressure from what I understand.

Still not quite sure why at least 3 posts recommend 15w-40 when there are diesel engine oils in 5w-40 such as the T6, Valvoline Blue Line Premium, and DELVAC and that's not including Amsoil and Schaefer brands.
If your manual calls for a 5w-40 then that oil DOES go to 15w-40 too but once it starts heating up. Do not fear the 15w. It will afford you slightly better shear resistance. Your manual most likely calls for a 5w to cover everyone, including up north, so there is little need for a 5w in Texas. However, all that being said a 5w is still an all around all year viscosity & give you great protection. What's the towing capacity on this truck?

I got 8 qts of this oil, Delo 400 XSP Synthetic Syn5w40 but I don't own any diesel engine. Can I use this in the gas engine? It was $1.25/qt.

15W just says that the dynamic viscosity (how much force it takes to pump the oil) of the oil is below a certain threshold at -20C(CCS) and -25C(MRV) while 5W has to stay below a similar threshold but down at -30C for CCS and -35C for MRV. 5W40 HDEO is pretty much the same kinematic viscosity as 15W40 at 40C and 100C but the 5W40 has a greater tendency to shear over the oil change interval while the 15W40 will retain most of it's viscosity, and in a warm climate where temperatures rarely get below freezing the difference in cold weather pumpability of 5W40 and 15W40 will not really matter.
Exactly. 15w40 will likely have lower levels of VIIs, improving shear resistance and lowering Noack as well. Base oil viscosity will also likely be higher, and give higher HTHS results. These are ALL things that are beneficial to an engine.

In a climate that doesn’t get below zero, there’s nothing to worry about using a 15w40 in place of 5w40. I routinely use 10w30 and 15w50 in my engine that calls for 5w30, and even as the third car in a two driver household, it’s closing in on 190k with zero engine issues, even though where I live usually has a week or two below zero every winter.

IMG_7163.jpg

Initial TBN supposedly 16. Second one is after 1000s of miles of Russia 300ppm fuel, also some Mongolia 3000ppm.
25000 miles. About 10L makeup in 30L sump.

I got 8 qts of this oil, Delo 400 XSP Synthetic Syn5w40 but I don't own any diesel engine. Can I use this in the gas engine? It was $1.25/qt.
Yes, Any vehicle calling for SN, SN PLUS.
View attachment 213888
Initial TBN supposedly 16. Second one is after 1000s of miles of Russia 300ppm fuel, also some Mongolia 3000ppm.
25000 miles. About 10L makeup in 30L sump.
Can't read the image at all. Thanks

TBN 11.5 after 25200 miles
VOA TBN 16
Fe 44ppm
Ca ~4450ppm
Zn/P 1405/1387
Vehicle = 2005 Unimog U500, EGR deleted, OM906LA motor (6.4L)
Oil = Delvac 1 SHC 5W40
Sorry, never have been able to post files on this site

Last edited:
TBN 11.5 after 25200 miles
VOA TBN 16
Fe 44ppm
Ca ~4450ppm
Zn/P 1405/1387
Vehicle = 2005 Unimog U500, EGR deleted, OM906LA motor (6.4L)
Oil = Delvac 1 SHC 5W40
Sorry, never have been able to post files on this site
That appears to be good wear number on Fe. Motor on.
Just looked that oil up. That is some real high Ash/TBN oil. Does your engine spec the MB-Approval 228.5 by chance?
https://www.mobil.com/en-us/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-delvac-1-shc-5w40

That appears to be good wear number on Fe. Motor on.
Just looked that oil up. That is some real high Ash/TBN oil. Does your engine spec the MB-Approval 228.5 by chance?
https://www.mobil.com/en-us/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-delvac-1-shc-5w40
Absolutely yes. With no EGR, up to 1200 hour/40k miles oil change interval.
Although most with same engine in North America (mostly Freightliner medium trucks) use 228.3 or nowadays 228.31/32 and probably (should) do shorter intervals, maybe 15-20k miles.
The 906 is much friendlier to oil (along with really big sump) than similar sized Big 3 diesels. I think current recommended OCI for Cummins 6.7 is 15k miles?

Absolutely yes. With no EGR, up to 1200 hour/40k miles oil change interval.
Although most with same engine in North America (mostly Freightliner medium trucks) use 228.3 or nowadays 228.31/32 and probably (should) do shorter intervals, maybe 15-20k miles.
The 906 is much friendlier to oil (along with really big sump) than similar sized Big 3 diesels. I think current recommended OCI for Cummins 6.7 is 15k miles?
Most trucks are spec lower emissions oil w/half the TBN on that oil. Also, HD trucks usually go an avg of around 25,000 miles between oil changes is what I've heard in USA. Some extreme cases are 80,000 miles on 10w-30. :oops:
Then we have an HDEO category FA-4 that some 2017 & newer trucks are allowed to use. Last I heard Cummins was up to 15,000 yes but have since come back down from that mileage on the latest trucks.

I've just never seen an oil so heavy on the additives & wow that oil should last a very long time in a non EGR or emissions equipped rig. Nice find!

Ash levels 1.4-1.9% used to be pretty standard for ACEA E4/228.5 oils. I guess Mobil’s latest version is Delvac Ultra 5W40 Ultimate Defense. It’s only 1.2% ash, TBN about 14.5. I’ve got enough SHC in the basement to last the rest of my life.
It’s convenient to just carry makeup oil on a very long trip and not have to tilt the cab etc for an oil change till I get home.

Ash levels 1.4-1.9% used to be pretty standard for ACEA E4/228.5 oils. I guess Mobil’s latest version is Delvac Ultra 5W40 Ultimate Defense. It’s only 1.2% ash, TBN about 14.5. I’ve got enough SHC in the basement to last the rest of my life.
It’s convenient to just carry makeup oil on a very long trip and not have to tilt the cab etc for an oil change till I get home.
I've never heard of these oils. Are these standard offerings in AK, as in buy them off the shelf locally?

Are you kidding?
I had to have local Mobil distributor order the SHC in 2007 and again maybe in 2017. Apparently it’s used in the States on Mississippi River tow boats. So it took weeks to arrive. In 5 gallon jugs.

Are you kidding?
I had to have local Mobil distributor order the SHC in 2007 and again maybe in 2017. Apparently it’s used in the States on Mississippi River tow boats. So it took weeks to arrive. In 5 gallon jugs.
Yeah, that sounds a bit tricky. Happy to hear they offer a product like this for older equipment & long drain capability.

Are you kidding?

That sucks. I was wondering where I could get a pail or two

Back