5w-30 PBY or Synpower for fall-winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pickler
well i ended up with castrol edge 5w-30 for $35 from Canadian tire after all that research lol. thanks to walmart customer service they just did not want to go in the back and get me the oil. i could see the brown valvoline synpower boxes in the storage but the guy just outright refused to check claiming if its not on the floor then its not for sale. btw thanks for the replies.

thats [censored], i would have asked for a manager. for that price id buy synpower all day.

Pickler, either will work fine. I've been using conventional 5w-30 in Saskatchewan winters for a lot of years with no complaints. Since you share a fairly short 3750 mile OCI with me, PYB is an easy choice. It's regularly on special at Walmart. Keep an eye on their weekly specials (or Canadian Tire's, for that matter). You should be able to get it under $15 for 4.73 L at Walmart if you have a bit of patience. If it's an emergency and you want PYB, try anywhere EXCEPT Walmart or CT. You'll find it a hair under $20 for five litres without expending much effort.

On the other hand, the Synpower sale you mentioned is very attractive, and I've been sorely tempted, having seen it rolled back lately, too. Just for your information, if you're going synthetic from Walmart, Synpower is a very good choice, simply because it's rolled back very regularly and very deeply. NAPA Canada also has regular, attractive specials on both the Valvoline versions and their own NAPA house version.

My old LTD with a 2.3 L went to half a million kilometres before it was totalled. It had nothing except 10w-30 QSGB for the first half of its life, and 5w-30 GTX for the last half of its life. It never spent a night in the garage, and OCIs varied from 5,000 to 10,000 km. So, don't worry about conventional versus synthetic as much as cost, notably cost per mile.

If it were me, I'd grab the PYB over the Synpower, but that's assuming both were either at regular price or both were rolled back at the same time. I do admit, however, that WM's latest synthetic rollbacks have been frustratingly tempting, and I wouldn't be paying over $20 for PYB when Synpower is under $20.

well i ended up with castrol edge 5w-30 for $35 from Canadian tire after all that research lol.

Good grief. You find a great deal, and a bozo Walmart employee. Oh well. That Castrol Edge deal isn't too bad by Canadian standards, either.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Anyone know if it's just jugs or also single quarts?
FYI - If his profile is correct, (Toronto) this is a Canadian sale apparently. Just a heads up.

Ah, good catch. Thanks.

yes i tried talking to that walmart manager once when i was returning a fram filter. i had just found out that they were made of cardboard so i was looking to get the oem instead. i had lost my receipt so they claimed they dont carry that filter. the managed refused to follow me to the automotive isle where i could show her the fram oil filters. i found my receipt and i filed a complained but no one from the management did jack. whatever i dont waste my time now with this and i think ill boycott that store lol.

Garak, i know conventional will be fine but im a bit nervous still because my car is outside 24/7. because of lake effects here the days are cold and dry and the nights because super humid and cold+windy. -30'c weather is not rare here for 4-5 days in a row in december.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The answer is always "not Valvoline".

I'd take PYB any day of the week.

Might I ask why?

Originally Posted By: Jocephus
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The answer is always "not Valvoline".

I'd take PYB any day of the week.

Might I ask why?

Oil consumption on Valvoline has always been high for any engine in which I've used it.

Our lawnmower had to be filled every single time we mowed with Valvoline. With Castrol or Havoline, only about every fourth time.

I had to add two quarts to my Ion before the OCI was up the one time I used Synpower. I'd never had to top it off before, not once in 100,000 miles. I'm using Quaker State now and the oil level has held steady at "Full" on the dipstick.

I ran my '67 Beetle on Valvoline for a little while. Granted, the engine I had at that time was dying and used oil anyway. But I had to put a quart of Valvoline in every week. With Castrol, Havoline, or Pennzoil, only one quart a month.

My friend Jake always got Valvoline for his Quest. He thought a quart of oil every 1000 miles was normal. I convinced him to go with something else (he got Pennzoil on sale at Advance) and, what do you know? He didn't have to top off his oil at all that oci.

Valvoline is also an extremely dirty oil, in my experience. It always comes out gritty, and the filter elements are a lot nastier than on any other oil. Papaw always flat-out refused to use Valvoline. After I used it in a few vehicles, I certainly understand why.

Many people swear by it, but my own experience has been an astonishing 100% negative.

Nope, no numbers or hard data to back up any of this.

Garak, i know conventional will be fine but im a bit nervous still because my car is outside 24/7. because of lake effects here the days are cold and dry and the nights because super humid and cold+windy. -30'c weather is not rare here for 4-5 days in a row in december.

Well, the Arctic conditions aren't rare here, either, and as I've said, the conventional 5w-30 has served me well in vehicles that never saw the inside of a garage except for servicing. In any case, at the price that the Synpower is right now, it's pretty hard to pass that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back