5w-20 vs 5w-30 in a 2017 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt DD is a 2010 Hyundai w/2.4L
The fill cap has 5w-20. Book allows 5w-30 and I think 10w-30. Book recommends QS.
Started out PP and a few changes of Kendall 5w-20. Then switched to PYB 5w-30. That was over 75k ago. (odo 130k now)
So it's been PYB 5w-30 & EOM filters. 5k OCIs. No adding for the 5k duration.
Thought of going MaxLife but haven't pulled myself into it yet.

Save receipts and track records if under warranty.
Going from 5w-20 to 5w-30 I cant tell any mpg difference.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
PP 5W30 would be my call for the Elantra. Better protection against wear and fuel dilution then 5W20.

That was my thinking with short trips in the winter. I did one oil sample with Blackstone on my previous car. It came back with fuel dilution. I think I did not warm up the oil enough before sampling. I just did my usual short trip driving.

Hyundai is not picky with oil. 5w-30 Syn is completely fine year round.
My sister has a 2010 Santa Fe with the 4 cylinder, and has used bulk oil, usually 5w-30 for most of it's 150,000 miles and the bulk 5w-30 conventional oil (after 10,000 miles) looked almost new coming out of it.
I used 5w-20 to 10w-30 in my '04 Elantra (different engine though, Beta II) with 135,000+ problem free issues related to oil.

The thing is I also have several cases of TropArtic 5w-30 and jugs of 10w-30 Cheveron Supreme that may work, but do not have the receipts on the TropArtic bought at Sam's. I would consider using it if I had receipts.

Last edited:
I would just use it.
I know on my Elantra I had no receipts for probably 1/2 the oil I used. Never was worried about it during the 100,000 miles warranty period.
I changed the oil and filter (used either the OEM Hyundai or a Wix) every 5000 miles with conventional, 7500-10,000 miles with synthetic

I printed out the Chevron Receipt from Amazon and found one TropArtic 5w-30 case on a Sam's statement. I will look for more documentation when time permits and take this one oil change at a time.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

To comply with warranty I will need to change the oil every 6-months. Do you have any info, red flags, blessings, etc with my plan?

Sorry to bring up an old post, but i read this and thought i'd chime in. The warranty on US built/sold 2017 Elantras requires you to change the oil every 7,500 miles or 12 months for 2.0 MPI engines. The 6 month (6,200 mile) interval is only for the 1.4 TGDI engines (according to my owners manual).

It took me 7 months to hit 5,000 miles in mine, and that's when i changed the factory fill 5w20 and filled with dealer bulk synthetic blend 5w30. I noticed no change in MPG but the 5w30 seemed to run just a slight amount quieter (in an already quiet engine). I plan to run 5w30 and change at 5,000 mile intervals.

Having said that, the urge to experiment with a run of 10w30 is tempting though, since the owners manual allows for it...

The issues that are arising with the 2.4 I believe to be coupled from the use of a 5w20 in an engine prone to fuel dilution. We are going to start using a 5w30 in our Santa Fe in the next oil change.

I'm thinking about making the switch to a 0W-30 to get better flow at start up in mine.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I'm thinking about making the switch to a 0W-30 to get better flow at start up in mine.

Better flow? Really?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Better flow? Really?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: hominid7
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

To comply with warranty I will need to change the oil every 6-months. Do you have any info, red flags, blessings, etc with my plan?

Sorry to bring up an old post, but i read this and thought i'd chime in. The warranty on US built/sold 2017 Elantras requires you to change the oil every 7,500 miles or 12 months for 2.0 MPI engines. The 6 month (6,200 mile) interval is only for the 1.4 TGDI engines (according to my owners manual).

It took me 7 months to hit 5,000 miles in mine, and that's when i changed the factory fill 5w20 and filled with dealer bulk synthetic blend 5w30. I noticed no change in MPG but the 5w30 seemed to run just a slight amount quieter (in an already quiet engine). I plan to run 5w30 and change at 5,000 mile intervals.

Having said that, the urge to experiment with a run of 10w30 is tempting though, since the owners manual allows for it...

Hey Dan when you are ready for 10-30, might I suggest QSUD 10-30---? Runs supremely quiet in my 2005 Accord--255K miles-- and no diff in fuel economy I could see
Steve

Better flow? Really?

Yes.

Interesting, I thought that unless you are at the limit of pumpability all oils "flow" the same.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Since you say it's listed as an option in the owner's manual, I'd say running 5W-30 year-round is an excellent plan.

+1

Better flow? Really?

Yes.

Interesting, I thought that unless you are at the limit of pumpability all oils "flow" the same.

+1

35.gif

I'll probably be running 5w30 Magnatec from now on in my '17 Elantra. I have the same car as MONKEYMAN. I did the first change at the dealership where I bought it, but from now on I'll just keep a file folder of the receipts and mileage when it was changed.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back