5w-30 or 20w-50 for Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a 04 Toyota Corolla. Currently my plan is to run Mobil1 10w-30 for the summer and Mobil1 5w-30 for the winter @ 5k miles OCI.

I was surfing around and I found that Toyota recommends 20w-50 for the Corolla down in Chile (South America).

I was wondering if that could be better for the summers here. Also, Mobil1 15w-50 sounds like a good candidate.

Link for Corolla

Any thoughts???

Mobil 1 10W-30 and 5W-30 is the best for your car. Pay no attention to some of these international web sites.

You will only cause more internal heat and reduce gas mileage by using a thicker oil.

I would absolutely not run a 15W-50 or 20W-50 !!
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif

Thicker is not better, especially if your engine uses VVT.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:
Probably gets a lot hotter in Chile than in New Jersey.
wink.gif

I'd use the M1 10w-30 year round.

MR

It's just 3rd world group think. They have many inferior oils that shear quickly, so they need to start off on the high end. Not just ambient temp.

quote:

Originally posted by macaddict:
OK!!
shocked.gif

Nevermind
pat.gif

I swear I will never put anything in my car that is not 5w-30 or 10w-30.
cheers.gif

Hahahaha.
lol.gif
..well maybe we'll allow to put a 25% mixture of 15W-50 in your car That will get the oil to a higher end 30 wt but still below a 40 wt (generally). But really, more and more we are seeing that in normal to moderate high spirited driving a quality 30 wt. seems to protect very capably. Don''t fear 30 wts. or even 20 wts.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:
Probably gets a lot hotter in Chile than in New Jersey.
wink.gif

I'd use the M1 10w-30 year round.

MR

It's just 3rd world group think. They have many inferior oils that shear quickly, so they need to start off on the high end. Not just ambient temp.

Interesting. Makes sense considering the stories and UOA's that Widman has posted.

Thx,
MR

quote:

Originally posted by macaddict:
OK!!
shocked.gif

Nevermind
pat.gif

I swear I will never put anything in my car that is not 5w-30 or 10w-30.
cheers.gif

You're on the right track. Use those oils and the car will probably last longer than you care to keep it.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back