5w-30 in 2014 Camry 2AR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil talking about 20 weight oil for fuel economy not better protection of your engine.its being pushed by the goverment for "cafe"

Removed non site sponsor youtube video

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Right. Because if they suggested using a 20 grade down under they'd learn very quickly that they are few and far between.
Oem's specify a lubricant that will be easily attainable and provide adequate engine life.

Clevy, so Toyota are capable of bringing an entire car into Australia but can't ship a lubricant to the country ?

That doesn't ring true, as a couple of cases in the trunk of each car shipped would easily last out the warranty period.

Where they may not be wanting to go there is that you could never convince an Aussie that 1qt/800 miles is acceptable oil consumption. GM had that problem with the V-6, emptying the sump between 10,000km OCIs...it hurt their credibility badly.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I haven't seen the endless rows of dead engines using 20 grades bid anything they are living longer so your point is invalid.

"Adequate" engine life isn't an argument that points to a pile of failed engines...have never said that it did/would, and I don't think too many have (unlike the pile of failed engines next to the racetrack on 50s).

Honda use the terms like "improved fuel economy while still providing adequate/acceptable life"...they are inferring that there's more durable ways of doing it, but this is "OK"...it's probably more than OK, as there's no point having another 200,000 miles in an engine when the car is scrapped...it's utilising resources more efficiently to use 1-2% less fuel over the life of the vehicle.

Food for thought, I've mentioned it before. With all the words in the English language why is it when you look at literature like the owners manual or you see written material about 20 grade oils they use words like "adequate and acceptable" when they refer to the protection provided by 20 grade oil. I mean we have words like "best, better, superior", why aren't they used? Probably because those words aren't the truth.

EG: If you went up to school on open school night and little Johnny's teacher said, Johnny's work is "adequate", or Johnny's work is "superior" compared to the other students which would you rather hear?

I see we're thinking along the same lines.
smile.gif

Why not ask Toyota ....

Quote:
Genuine Toyota Motor Oil
Formulated with a special additive package that helps protect Toyota metal and gasket surfaces from corrosion, prevents foaming and maintains the proper application of oil on cylinder walls.

• Available in 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 grades
• Four-point depressants maintain fluidity in cold climates
• Viscosity index improvers stabilize viscosity levels for a wide range of operating temperatures

Synthetic Motor Oil
Many new Toyota models are certified for a new, zero weight synthetic lubrication standard, or 0W-20. This lower viscosity oil pumps better when cold, yet provides uniform lubrication, reduced friction and better overall efficiency than conventional engine oil.

• Improves fuel economy
• Improved thermal stability
• Longer oil change intervals

Originally Posted By: Bloodknights
Amsoil talking about 20 weight oil for fuel economy not better protection of your engine.its being pushed by the goverment for "cafe"

That's not Amsoil. That is an Amsoil dealer. That is NOT Amsoil's official opinion. Just an FYI.

The fuel savings that a synthetic 0W20 or 5W20 engine oil may obtain, must
be more than the added cost of the oil to be economical.

If the engine uses oil because of the lighter weight, the cost and
inconvenience of adding oil must be factored in.

What would be an annual 2% fuel savings in a small car driven 12,000
miles per year? I'll go the other way.
I would rather pay an extra 2% in fuel and leave the hood closed.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That's not Amsoil. That is an Amsoil dealer. That is NOT Amsoil's official opinion. Just an FYI.

He works for amsoil and does these conferences to update the" Dealers " on amsoil products. Just an FYI (sighs) some people just with there responds baffles me.not about what this amsoil guy is talking about but "oh he dosent work for amsoil he's just a dealer so whatever he says dosent mean a hill of beans so ......some people need some b vitamins for stress or a hug lol

Last edited by a moderator:
And if u want to go that route ,no one here works for an oil company ,no one here is an oil chemist,so by your standards no ones opinion means anything either by your standards.FYI lol
(Monday morning douchbags)

He works for amsoil and does these conferences to update the" Dealers " on amsoil products. Just an FYI (sighs) some people just with there responds baffles me.not about what this amsoil guy is talking about but "oh he dosent work for amsoil he's just a dealer so whatever he says dosent mean a hill of beans so f u......some people need some b vitamins for stress or a hug [censored] lol

Did you type f u???

Dude it does make a difference. He does NOT work for Amsoil and he is not speaking for Amsoil. He isn't in speaking just to dealers. I don't care if you post his you tube videos even though they technically violate BITOG rules but you need to be clear as to what you say. Not "Amsoil talking...."

He works for amsoil and does these conferences to update the" Dealers " on amsoil products. Just an FYI (sighs) some people just with there responds baffles me.not about what this amsoil guy is talking about but "oh he dosent work for amsoil he's just a dealer so whatever he says dosent mean a hill of beans so f u......some people need some b vitamins for stress or a hug [censored] lol

Did you type f u???

Dude it does make a difference. He does NOT work for Amsoil and he is not speaking for Amsoil. He isn't in speaking just to dealers. I don't care if you post his you tube videos even though they technically violate BITOG rules but you need to be clear as to what you say. Not "Amsoil talking...."
your right and I'm 100% completely wrong.thanks for clearing that up.sarcasm dosent come out to well in text.ill just go back to reading instead of typing ,no matter what anyone writes they will be attacked on here just for having your own thoughts and opinions.

You are always welcome to present your opinion, just leave out the 'douchbag, vitamin b, needs a hug' jabs.

Stellar. Thanks for the deep technical insight you provide to this discussion.

And if u want to go that route ,no one here works for an oil company ,no one here is an oil chemist,so by your standards no ones opinion means anything either by your standards.FYI lol

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Stellar. Thanks for the deep technical insight you provide to this discussion.

My pleasure

Just to be clear, which rule(s) are being violated by posting the youtube link.

One thing I've learned recently is that Amsoil needs to start reigning in rogue dealers passing commentary as fact, when it's only personal opinion...Internet is full of it, and I wonder how many people are mistakenly purchasing based on the personal view of an MLM trying to make that extra buck

Just to be clear, which rule(s) are being violated by posting the youtube link.

One thing I've learned recently is that Amsoil needs to start reigning in rogue dealers passing commentary as fact, when it's only personal opinion...Internet is full of it, and I wonder how many people are mistakenly purchasing based on the personal view of an MLM trying to make that extra buck

I didn't realize there was a violation for that myself I mean does anyone read the terms and conditions for anything? Then again I won't lose any sleep for expressing my opinion.i mean this country is already heading to be a commi nation but till then I'm free to express my opinion.political correctness is killing us cuz we have to watch what all of us are already thinking but can't say cuz we might hurt someone's feelings...

Last edited:
Surely you can comprehend better than that Pablo...rule is to stop shilling...Bloodknights was neither soliciting, nor promoting either services or other sites, per the rule.

Surely you can comprehend better than that Pablo...rule is to stop shilling...Bloodknights was neither soliciting, nor promoting either services or other sites, per the rule.

Not a deep thinker are you? The rule is more than that. The rule is also to protect paying sponsors.

Quote:
Members agree that, except with the owner’s prior consent, they shall not solicit or promote any products services or other sites by posting direct links of any sales pages of any products in this forum.

Read the whole sentence. Yes I know he wasn't promoting it, but he did take the step to claim it was Amsoil's website, which is clearly incorrect. It doesn't say their own, it says "any".

Not sure WHY you always have to come off as insulting and why you didn't PM me or a moderator to ask this question. People are free to post their viewpoints. This is a privately run website, and not a Government spokesplace there are rules and restrictions. People cannot post other Amsoil dealers websites. It happens, and mostly I don't say a peep, but this time I did.

All this thin oil business is just for cafe standards in the usa only,not for better protection of your engine or anything but for the car manufacturers period.

What about Canada and Japan?
wink.gif

I'm just nitpicking, Shannow. We end up with much the same owners' manuals (and emissions standards) as the U.S. There are far more Canadian vehicles that share the U.S. viscosity requirement (and other approvals) than those with something unique to Canada. GM has had wording allowing for 0w-30 in cold weather, of course, for years. Nonetheless, if something calls for 0w-20 in the States, it almost certainly will up here, too.

I'm sure the manuals are exactly the same in many cases, with response cards having American postage and the address on one page, and the next page having the Canadian postage and address. Throw in English, French, and Spanish sections, and you're set for the entire continent.

The only lubricant difference I saw as of late was Dexron VI being approved specifically for Canada as PSF for my G37. It didn't mention other jurisdictions. The engine oil is supposed to be 5w-30 SM/GF-4 or better regardless of ambient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back