5W-20 vs. 5W-30 vs 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute. When I change my oil and start the car for the first time after the oil change, it takes that gauge about 2 seconds before it shoots up to pressure.

But it never fluctuates while driving so I would assume it is one of these fake ones.

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
Wait a minute. When I change my oil and start the car for the first time after the oil change, it takes that gauge about 2 seconds before it shoots up to pressure.

But it never fluctuates while driving so I would assume it is one of these fake ones.

I hope you are joking bro......

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Buford. What he says is true. Your gauge will read the same regardless of the pressure ..as long as it has pressure. It's a light with a needle for an indicator. It may change slightly due to the change in resistance of the wire as it warms.

It has two states ...no reading ..and where ever it ends up with current going through it. It's blind and numb/dumb.

(visions of Young Frankenstein "Was this a NORMAL brain?" "Yes" "...what kind of NORMAL?" "AbbyNormal"
grin.gif
)

I find this suspect. An "idiot light" comes on when the oil is low. If not low, it is off. How can my oil gauge then be on all the time when the car is running? I would think the needle would go lower if the oil is going low. But my car burns nor leaks any oil so I can't say.

Believe what you want. Ignorance is bliss I guess. You are wrong on your assumption period. Now really what would an oil pressure guage have to do with oil level? Nothing. And if you are trying to say well if the oil level is low the pomp would suck air causing the pressure to be lower then you are once again wrong.

The reason why the oil pressure gages reads the same is the resistor put on the circuit board and the back of the guage housing. Senders are also well known on these models to cause erroneous reading when in the process of failing. The switch provides a ground for the guage. Like most circuts when the ground gets flakey strange things happen.

If you would do a little searching over at the Corral or Modular Depot you would find the mod to correct this "idiot guage" then it would actually move in correspondence with rpm.

quote:

That is because oil pressure has to build again once you have drained the system. That 2 seconds is what it takes for the fluid to fill the lines, and the filter again and build pressure.

You are arguing oil properties but don't know how an oil lubrication system works?

This thread has morphed into something that the topic title doesn't describe. It also seems to have become immortal - it won't die. I think it should be re-labled as "the Buford Chronicles."

BuzzCut: Yes it all makes sense. My owner's manual says this...

"This gauge indicates the engine oil pressure, not the oil level. However, if your engine's oil level is low, it could affect the oil pressure. With the engine running, the pointer should move into the NORMAL band. If the pointer drops below the NORMAL band while the engine is running, you have lost oil pressure and continued operation will cause severe engine damage."

Ford makes it sound like it will fluctuate. I'll have to check around on the Corral for the mod. Thanks for all that info BTW.

BlazerLT: When I thought about that, I was kind of hoping I didn't have the fake oil gauge. Yes I know how the oil lubrication system works. That doesn't mean I have to know about every oil gauge in every vehicle.

farrarfan1: You sound... DUMB...? I bet you work at Jiffy Lube.

GMorg: That is happened because of others.

At any rate, I doubt there is any difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 to make 5W-20 worth using. Especially in a V-8 or V-10 engine.

You're right, Buford. It's not like you're defective if you don't use 5w-20. To many ..it's just like using any other non-leading edge, or advanced, technology. They all get you there
dunno.gif

Yes!! It's twew! It's twew!

It started on Ford decades ago. DC adopted it in the jeep lineup in either 03 or 04 (don't know about the rest of the DC line up
confused.gif
).

It's an idiot light with a needle
dunno.gif

I don't know about GM.

quote:

farrarfan1: You sound... DUMB...? I bet you work at Jiffy Lube.

No actually I've been an Indiana State Trooper for the last 27 years.

When Ford started using the fake gage it seemed like the waste of a good gage. Guess it eliminates most of the oil pressure complaints....

Now that DC copied it I'm curious if it's an attempt to mask lower oil pressure readings brought on by the same thin-er oil which Ford adopted earlier.

I *think* most Honda's use a light.

If you were talking to me toocrazy2yoo then not exactly. We've been using America's Choice recycled/rerefined 5W30 for a long long time in our CVPI's.Right now we're using ProTec brand filters. OCI is 5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back