HPL 5w-30 No VII, why does 10w-30 exist?

There are slight differences, which potentially allow for greater shear stability and more precise selection of viscosity range.

It would make sense to scrutinize VI, since there are No VII's, wouldn't it ?

But wouldn't a 10w-30 still be thicker at 100c than a 5w-30. It could be a noticeable difference by the time you put a few thousand miles on the oil.

But wouldn't a 10w-30 still be thicker at 100c than a 5w-30. It could be a noticeable difference by the time you put a few thousand miles on the oil.
I know the HTHS is higher and it’s thicker at 100c on the HPL PCEO 5w40 than the 10w40, that I don’t understand.

Probably a stupid question… but why does HPL no VII 10w-30 exist when the 5w-30 no VII already doesn’t have Viscosity Index Improvers?
also the case with the 5w-20 and the 10w-20?
This would make a great subject-line writing a Thesis for a PhD on Automotive Oils at the College of Roger Penske

Even tho they use no VII’s, a 5W-30 would have to have a portion of thinner base stock that 10W-30, so the 5W-30 would be slightly thinner and more volatile than the 10W-30.

The formulation is obviously different, because my limited understanding is that per API spec, you must label your oil to the cold rating it meets. ie if it passes the cold tests of a 5W, then you must label it 5W. You can't label it 10W. Thats my understanding.

So I know nothing of chemistry and would believe the base stock of a 10W-30 is somehow better on the warm end. This may not be true, but idiots like me would believe it was true, and I would buy the 10W-30.

So your answer is its made because idiots like me would buy it. Same as pet rocks were a thing.

I know the HTHS is higher and it’s thicker at 100c on the HPL PCEO 5w40 than the 10w40, that I don’t understand.
The only thing I can think of is the 10w-40 is made on the thinner side & falls a bit below the 5w. I wonder if they include CCV in their sheets on these two.

Last edited:
There are slight differences, which potentially allow for greater shear stability and more precise selection of viscosity range.

It would make sense to scrutinize VI, since there are No VII's, wouldn't it ?
There are also differences in base oils, which give different HTHS as well.

There are a lot of things that go unnoticed in regular multigrades (because of the varying quality of base oils and additives) which can make one go “Hmm” when knowing there are no VIIs, and that the base oils and additives are all roughly the same caliber. Rather than trying to decipher all the unknowns outside of my knowledge base, I just ask Dave. 🤣

Even tho they use no VII’s, a 5W-30 would have to have a portion of thinner base stock that 10W-30, so the 5W-30 would be slightly thinner and more volatile than the 10W-30.

Not necessarily. You can have a group IV PAO with a higher (slightly) KV100 but higher VI and better cold flow than a group III. There's pros and cons to both. With PAO, you get better VI and cold protection at the expense of additive response and HTHS. With group III/III+, you get better additive response and HTHS at the expense of VI and cold protection. If you aren't forced to meet the lower cold weather rating, then you can put more group III in there to improve the additive response and the HTHS.

Back