5W-20 or 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long has this topic been debated for? 5 years. All of you 20 WT haters use whatever you feel you need to. But keep in mind 20 years ago these 30WT oils would not even meet spec for 20 WT. Now people are using the 30 WT oil in 20 old engine and they are not blowing up. How many cars using the newest gen 20 WT's blowing up? I have an 5.7 V8 engine that pushes 345HP and 380LBS of torque and drive it likes its stolen. No problems. You people need to catch up on the times and learn something. There is some applications I will not use a 20WT oil. But in a 21 century engine that specs a 20WT I will not have an problem using it in.

I am NOT a 5w-20 hater, where did I ever state that I am a 5w-20 hater??

I'm simply asking WHY would Toyota suddenly start recommending 5w-20 for an engine built in 2005 but not for the same engine built in 2004??

This is all I'm asking, I do not have anything against 5w-20; I'm simply trying to decide if I should run a 5w-20 or a 0w-30 in an engine spec'd for 5w-30. I'm NOT thrilled with 5w-30's because they sheer off too fast.

BTW - I have a friend running Motorcraft 5w-20 in a cummins diesel engine; has been for over a year and it's running just fine, so obviously 5w-20's are good. EVEN though his manual doesn't spec it; in which case, it IS possible that every engine could run on 5w-20 and be just fine.

Ramblin, he was refering to MitchCoyote. Roughly 100 posts total and they all say the same roughly the same thing.... 5W-20 is a Nazi Plot to end all life on the planet earth.

As to mixing, a modern SM/GF-4 5W-30 usually has better basestock than 10W-30. You would likely be better off with just straight 5W-30 now days. The better Basestock means it likely doesnt have any more VII (Viscosity Index Improvers) than the 10W-30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back