5W-20 or 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend you give the 5w-20 a try. If you prefer dino, go with Motorcraft, Havoline, or Pennzoil.

If you prefer synthetic, then Pennzoil Platinum, or Mobil 1 a are some of the more popular "Wal Mart" brands.

Use 5W-20. It's not only better oil, it's better for your engine, it's better for you MPG, it's what the mfr asks for. There is nothing to be gained by using 5W-30. *Using up left over 5W-30 isn't really a gain, I guess.

I too would use 5W20. No reason to use a heavier weight oil when the engine is not designed for it. If you have extra laying around I guess you could, but the MPG impact could possibly negate your savings.

Other than that
welcome.gif

And it will be fun to watch the 5W20 vs 5W30 debate again.

popcorn.gif
deadhorse.gif

I wonder why my 2006 3.7L Jeep engine is not spec'd for 5w20? Last I saw, these were the same engines.

Exactly! The new 5w20 recommendations are a sham.... Strictly to help meet CAFE standards... These engines were designed to use a 30 weight oil at temperature and would be better protected using a 5w30 or a 10w30 in warmer climates... Trust me, when these engines heat up they want some 30 weight oil... Name calling is childish and not appreciated, #@$%! Bless you all...

Yes it's safe but unneeded. Don't listen to the non-believers. They're stuck in the past. My engine starts every day on 20w and goes about 27k a year.

Quote:

Exactly! The new 5w20 recommendations are a sham.... Strictly to help meet CAFE standards... These engines were designed to use a 30 weight oil at temperature and would be better protected using a 5w30 or a 10w30 in warmer climates... Trust me, when these engines heat up they want some 30 weight oil... Name calling is childish and not appreciated, #@$%! Bless you all...

I've towed my boat through the desert with ambient tempertatures above 100F with 0W20. No problems. Truck runs great.
patriot.gif

OK, let's try to go the other way, will you gain anything or loose anything by using 5W20 for a car that call for 5W30??

You'll gain a miniscule increase in gas mileage. You'll have a little better flow. Some folks notice a little more PEP. Some folks believe the base oils in the 5W20 is better than those of 5W30. Then there's the shear theory, which finds that 5W30 winds up 5W20 in the end regardless..

Quote:

feedtroll.gif

If you're comparing a dino 5W-30 to a "regular" 5W-20 then the "regular" 5W-20 is most likely a better oil. They usually have a better base oil make up and additives. And UOA's on this site show that they are shear stabile. Are you going to "hurt" your engine by using a dino 5W-30, absolutely not. Are you going to help you engine by using a dino 5W-30 over a "regular" 5W-20 oil, I don't thing so. Dodge would not have spec'd your engine for 5W-20 if it was going to hurt the engine. I'm sure they did extensive testing with 5W-20 oils. Besides 5W-20 oils are much more advanced today then when they first came into use in Fords in 2001. And you can't refute the UOA's on this site that show 5W-20 oils returning real good UOA wear numbers.

Whimsey

Whimsey: I think the original (2001 SJ version) 5w20's were also very advanced. They met the Ford and Honda specs. It is the other grades (5w30 and 10w30) that have improved tremendously since 2001 (SJ to SL to SM).

Quote:

You'll gain a miniscule increase in gas mileage. You'll have a little better flow. Some folks notice a little more PEP. Some folks believe the base oils in the 5W20 is better than those of 5W30. Then there's the shear theory, which finds that 5W30 winds up 5W20 in the end regardless..

I have 2 Honda Accords, a 1999 LX and a 2000 Ex, both are 4 cylinders, a 1996 Toyata Avalon V6 and a 1994 Toyota 4x4 pickup. They all have over 100K on them and they all call for 5W30 on the oil caps. I would like to use 5W20 on them just to see how well they work with 5W20 instead of 5W30. But I am concerned about 5W20 oil is too thin for these older cars with older engines. I knew most of the newer Hondas and Toyotas call for 5W20 now but I was just wondering if I can gain or loose anything use 5W20 on my these older cars.
starwars.gif

It has been my experience that oil weight makes very little difference in MPG. The 5w-20 are usually a better oil within each manufactures line. If they did not have such a great add package/base oil the 5w-30 would be as good. Some oils like Mobil 1 the 5w-20 would be no better oil than the 5w-30. In this case a 5w-30 would make sense as it does provide more wear protection in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back