5w-20 black coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy moly! Mngopher wasn't kidding when he said the new Havoline 5w-20 formula is dark. I did the first oil change on my '04 Mazda 6i today (1200 miles) and filled with Havoline 5w-20 (that I had purchased intitially for my F150)and I had to do a double check to make sure the bottles were all sealed. Man is that stuff dark! I kind of feel cheeted by not seeing that fresh golden blonde oil on the dipstick.

I was going to sample te factory fill and send it in but I passed. I'll sample this fill when I change it in 2000 miles just to start to establish a baseline. I want to get 2 changes done before I bring her in for the first 5,000 scheduled service.

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
For all other Mazda6 UOA's...

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=36

Any particluar reason you went with havoline when the motorcraft semi-syn is a proven oil?

1. I like that Havoline has a lot of moly.

2. I had excellent UOA results using Chevron Supreme 5w-30 in my 2001 F150 so I wanted to stick with the Chevron/Havolne family for the 5w-20.

3.Everyone's using Motocraft 5w-20
smile.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
Is the Havoline a blend like the Motorcraft?

I don't think so. If it were I'm sure they would go out of their way to plaster it all over the label. I suspect it is a group II/II+ mix
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

3.Everyone's using Motocraft 5w-20
smile.gif
cheers.gif

You always were a "long haired rebel"
grin.gif
. I guess the additive package and possibly base oils are different than their 5W-30 oil. This is most likely needed to meet the more stingent performance requirements of Ford spec'd 5W-20 oil versus just meeting ILSAC GF-3, SL requirements. Ironically the Motorcraft 5W-20 oil is very light colored.

offtopic.gif
How was it changing the oil filter cartridge versus a spin on oil filter?

Whimsey

They are having so much trouble with the cartiage filters, that mazda's going to "ok" a spin-on filter conversion soon.

This should make most 6i owners happy, as the PF24 (fram Xref) filters are hella cheaper then the 10-12 dollar dealer pack filters.

The adapter is part # L301-14-310 and a required gasket for its installation is # LF01-14-342.

I don't believe mazda has ok'd its swappin yet (and still allowed full warranty coverage), but their supposed to soon.

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
They are having so much trouble with the cartiage filters, that mazda's going to "ok" a spin-on filter conversion soon.

This should make most 6i owners happy, as the PF24 (fram Xref) filters are hella cheaper then the 10-12 dollar dealer pack filters.

The adapter is part # L301-14-310 and a required gasket for its installation is # LF01-14-342.

I don't believe mazda has ok'd its swappin yet (and still allowed full warranty coverage), but their supposed to soon.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to convert. Is this on a TSB?

I believe its an MRI right now. I'll send you a pm or do a short post in the oil filters section when its been moved to a more offical status.

(MRI = Mazda Repair Info, which isn't public, nor does it have to be reported to edmonds/etc.)

Glad I'm not the only one who did a double take when I poured the Havoline 5w20 the first time! The Chevron 5w20 is the same way, and they even went so far as to send a bulliten to their distributors that the oil was correct and not a "goof"!

As for why use Havoline instead of Motorcraft: I get Havoline for 1.59 a quart, Motorcraft is cheapest at Wal-Mart for 1.82 a qt these days. Besides, Havoline and Chevron seem to hold their own
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
offtopic.gif
How was it changing the oil filter cartridge versus a spin on oil filter?

Whimsey

That filter setup is a royal PITA and pretty darn pricey! Nearly $15.00 between the filter element, small O-ring and large O-ring/gasket.

Crossbow....if Mazda O.K.s a spin on conversion I'll be the first one at my dealer waiting in line!

offtopic.gif
When you change that filter do you have to unscrew that small silver plug on the bottom of the filter canister? I drained the pan first, then removed that small plug under the filter canister, then unscrewed the canister assembly. Naturally I replaced both the small O-ring from that little plug as well as the larger O-ring on the canister. Just wondering if I didn't have to bother with that silver plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back