5HP -19 Fluid?

Considering buying a BMW that is equipped with the 5HP trans. It calls for LIifeguard 5.

What should I use?

Redline D4, Redline D6, Maxlife??

Thanks, all

The specifications for the Lifeguard 5 fluid are: https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...ts-psd-msd/lifeguardfluid-5/pds-zflgf5-en.pdf

1653745802646.jpg

Being an older fluid, Red Line D4 or AMSOIL ATF (red cap) is a good choice, though I would lean towards Red Line D4.

Valvoline MaxLife is a Group III ATF that does not meet the viscosity requirements of the Lifeguard 5 fluid specifications.

The most modern option would be HPL ATF Blue. It's got the most up-to-date additive package. This is a Group III+ based ATF.

The is also an all-PAO version of it called ATF Blue CC. Their CC versions are all-PAO. If you have questions about this ATF you should definitively contact @High Performance Lubricants. It is a good product.

High Performance Lubricants ATF:

1653746241271.jpg

The specifications for the Lifeguard 5 fluid are: https://aftermarket.zf.com/remoteme...ts-psd-msd/lifeguardfluid-5/pds-zflgf5-en.pdf

View attachment 101646

Being an older fluid, Red Line D4 or AMSOIL ATF (red cap) is a good choice, though I would lean towards Red Line D4.

Valvoline MaxLife is a Group III ATF that does not meet the viscosity requirements of the Lifeguard 5 fluid specifications.

The most modern option would be HPL ATF Blue. It's got the most up-to-date additive package. This is a Group III+ based ATF.

The is also an all-PAO version of it called ATF Blue CC. Their CC versions are all-PAO. If you have questions about this ATF you should definitively contact @High Performance Lubricants. It is a good product.

High Performance Lubricants ATF:

View attachment 101647
Yeah, I really like the looks of the HPL products, but I need to to multiple drain and fills, to get rid of the old fluid. Maybe another time :)

I'm just looking for the most economical way to do multiple drain and fills.

The Maxlife claims to be compatible with the spec. I could see how this could be since the Lifeguard 5 is probably similar to a DEX III, which was succeeded by DEX VI, due to it having a higher sheered viscosity.

And with Redline D4, I could use FCPs Lifetime Replacement, and just have to pay for the initial purchase of the fluid.

LMK what you think - thanks

LMK what you think - thanks
You're very welcome :)

I think that Maxlife is blended to a price point, first and foremost. They probably cut some corners. It's also a mismatch for viscosity as it's not even close to Lifeguard 5 fluid.

Red Line D4 is a good option if HPL is not in your cards. I would definitively go for that.

Here are the flash points for Red Line ATFs:

1653751054554.jpg

I hope this info helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxlife will be fine :)
Valvoline Maxlife's transmission compatibility list and performance claims are only limited by the space on the back of the jug. That would be okay, except for the fact that I take issue with recommendations for applications that require a TES-295 or Lifeguard 5. No one in their right might will put this fluid in an expensive Allison transmission that's used in a commercial application, not to mention that it's a very good way to have your warranty voided when said transmission fails. Someone had a field day writing the OEM compatibility list at Valvoline, and that's just plain wrong. I mean, you look at a manufacturer like ZF who painstakingly created documentation (ZF TE-ML) addressing compatible fluids, including approved fluids, for every transaxle, differential, and transmission they make, and Valvoline here claims to be compatible with all of them. That's not possible.

I am not saying that it is a bad product, and it is priced fair for what it is. However, given its viscometric properties, it would be more appropriate for a ZF 8HP transmission than for a 5HP.

1653754256330.jpg

Ultimately if @BMW Dom tries to save a few dollars up front, he might end up spending serious money down the road.

...I think that Maxlife is blended to a price point, first and foremost. They probably cut some corners. It's also a mismatch for viscosity as it's not even close to Lifeguard 5 fluid...
How did you determine that it is blended to a price point and that Valvoline cut some corners?

Do you have a comprehensive or "forensics" analyses of the chemistry you would like to share?

The viscosity differential between the two is about 1.5 cSt, but what is the frictional Mu(v) stability or viscosity of LifeGuard 5 after 40,000 miles?

@MolaKule, first and foremost, please accept my apologies, as my remarks were not meant to portray any single product in a negative light. Your comments are reasonable and well-founded. However, please understand that there is a difference in perspective between how you see lubrication products as an experienced formulator and the information that I have access to as a hobbyist, consumer, and commercial consumer. My access to information is limited, and at times marketing makes drawing sound conclusions an even more convoluted process. Therefore, I tend to err on the side of caution and take a relatively conservative approach to any advice I give. However, time, and the willingness of others to read everything I post, don't allow me to detail my thought process. However, you absolutely deserve an explanation for the statements that I made.

I am also open-minded and welcome all the information that I can get from someone as experienced and well-versed in lubrication science as yourself. Conclusively, I welcome all corrections to the previously made statements and the ones I am making here.

How did you determine that it is blended to a price point and that Valvoline cut some corners?
I made an assumption based on the fact that this transmission fluid is sold in a price-sensitive market. Valvoline MaxLife used to cost $17.99 a gallon for a very long time, and currently, Walmart sells it for $22.98. Given current economic conditions and the fact that it's sold out everywhere around here where I live, it is clear that this product enjoys a high degree of popularity. Does it make it the best? No, it does not. However, people are happy with it as long as they can get from A to B while using it.

Based on anecdotal evidence gathered from multiple forums over the years, I concluded that DYI-ers such as myself had experienced problems with just about any brand of Multi-Vehicle ATF. Their problems were caused mainly by inexperience or insufficient knowledge about changing transmission fluid or other already present defects.

I have also read your comments about people mistakenly thinking that formulators blend oils to a price point. And I agree with your statements. However, I am also a realist and know that every company has cost accountants whose responsibility is to keep the company they work for profitable. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that material choices that go into products are made based on price points. If you consider transportation, packaging, distribution, marketing, profitability, and the retail price of Valvoline Maxlife, then it is not hard to see how every penny has been accounted for. I seriously doubt that Valvoline is selling Maxlife as a loss leader.

Even additive manufacturers such as Afton Chemicals advertise profitability and price points in their ATF marketing literature:

1653762781531.jpg

Full PDF document here: https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton.../PDS/HiTEC-2414B/HiTEC-2414B_PDS.pdf?ext=.pdf

In the case of Valvoline Maxlife, I have no way of knowing what materials Valvoline chose to use for their ATF blend. However, based on this information that I have access to, what conclusion could I draw? Other than they blended it to meet certain performance criteria at a certain price point. Also, as I consumer I do not have any access to test data showing that shows performance data of Maxlife.

Do you have a comprehensive or "forensics" analyses of the chemistry you would like to share?
As a consumer, how could I possibly have access to that kind of information?

The viscosity differential between the two is about 1.5 cSt
Yes, and yet companies such as Red Line Oil, AMSOIL, HPL, Castrol, and others who blend Multi-Vehicle ATFs offer two products to account for each viscosity, even if the additive packages are similar or identical. To me, that signals that this small viscosity differential is not insignificant.

but what is the frictional Mu(v) stability or viscosity of LifeGuard 5 after 40,000 miles?
I would like to learn more about Mu(v) and how friction modifiers work for Multi-Vehicle ATFs, and I am kindly asking for your guidance on the subject matter.

Now, as a consumer, how could I possibly know the condition of LifeGuard 5 after 40K miles? Or that of any other fluid for that matter. It's also influenced by driving style (highway vs. grueling city driving), vehicle load, towing, etc. Take that vehicle consistently to the track or drag race it and we'll see how long the fluid and transmission last.

The DI ATF package (as are most DI packages) is formulated with appropriate base oils and tested in actual hardware for compatibility.
This is Valvoline's own statement made in this PDS document: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/5ca3517a-e29c-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3

1653764373695.jpg

And that's perfectly fine when it comes to personal vehicles and applications because OEMs treat them differently. If, for example, you look at the ZF TE-ML documentation, you will notice that for personal vehicles the term "lifetime fill" comes up quite often when talking about differentials and transmission fluids. However, when it comes to commercial applications, ZF provides fluid change intervals.

The commercial vs. personal application criticism extends to other brands as well. I have yet to see someone driving a truck with an Allison transmission that uses MaxLife, Red Line D4, or AMSOIL MV ATF. They all use Delvac 1 ATF, Castril Transynd, or Shell Spirax S6 A295.

And while a vehicle manufacturer might not void a warranty if the customer used an aftermarket ATF that was listed by the ATF manufacturer as compatible with his transmission, when it comes to the commercial world, things are different. Yes, some fleet operators will maximize cost savings and buy the cheapest fluids they can get and deal with the consequences. I have seen firsthand the damage that inappropriate (as in cheap) gear oil or transmission fluid does in a truck. As such, most fleets will use appropriately rated fluids that carry OEM approvals. For those people "meets and exceeds" doesn't mean anything.

Back to personal vehicles, when it comes to Multi-Vehicle ATFs, recommendations can be made only on reputation. I am a hobbyist and an enthusiast, so it comes naturally to me to recommend the products that I use. I have never used Valvoline MaxLife ATF in a vehicle, and probably never will. I have used AMSOIL ATF, ATL, Red Line D4, and recently D6, and I know HPL by reputation and I recently purchased their motor oil, transmission fluid, and gear oil. I use and recommend products that are marketed for personal-performance applications. Valvoline MaxLife is not marketed as such. Does that make it a bad product? Absolutely not. However, I don't think that Valvoline tested it in all of those applications that they recommend it for. Maybe they didn't test it in any and are just going by the specifications provided by their additive supplier. And this could be very well the case for other blenders. However, with blenders such as AMSOIL, Red Line, and HPL, at the very least I have the confidence that they used high-quality materials because for them it is not paramount to meet a price point.

Attachments

• 1653764273425.jpg
    1653764273425.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
I'll respond to what I think are Rod Knocks three main points:

1. Price Point. I doubt anyone knows the exact profit margin for any known lubricant, but let's not create a conspiracy theory over it. Take PetroCanada, who blends most of GM's OEM fluids. They will blend Afton's DI packages for the minimum OEM spec in order to make the most profit for themselves and especially for GM's dealers, where the largest profits occurs. The same occurs for Nissan, Honda, etc and their contracted blenders. This DOES NOT mean OEM fluids are superior, and in most cases, they are mediocre at best; hence the reason for third party blenders.

Some blenders such as HPL, Amsoil, Redline, and a few others blend for 'above-spec' performance and add certain chemistries and better base oils to boost performance, hence their products are not developed according to "price points," and thus they have to charge more for their products.

BTW, profit is NOT a dirty word, because without profit, companies would fail economically.

2. Hardware Testing. You misunderstood my discussion about testing. No blender that I know of have the facilities or the hardware to test, in this case, all transmissions out there, and I never stated such. What I said was the DI package supplier does the testing using their in-house facilities and second party testing facilities. The DI manf. develops and tests DI packages, and creates a formulation for that DI package, which the blender receives with his DI purchases. Why do think the DI packages are so expensive?

3. The reason for my questions to you about the technical aspects of the fluids was that you made assertions, without any supporting data, that was also leaning toward some conspiracy theory. We don't deal here on BITOG with conspiracy theories or unsupported statements.

So one should either come up with technical data to support his statements, or clearly state that they are opinions or simple observations.

As for the effects of Friction Modifiers on the Mu(v) curves,

Last edited:
@BMW Dom, after removing my beer goggles and reading the threads that @MolaKule posted (thank you so much, by the way), I now have a better idea of how fluids are blended. Unfortunately, it is difficult to cut through the thick layers of marketing and see what matters as a consumer.

I don't know if you have already made up your mind and picked a fluid for your BMW. However, I also came across this Motul ATF that looks to be in the same viscosity range as the Lifeguard 5 fluid: https://azupim01.motul.com/media/motulData/DO/base/MULTI_ATF_en_FR_motul_45600_20211230.pdf. Like Valvoline MaxLife ATF, it is a predominantly Group III fluid, and there is nothing wrong with that. I think I picked up some bad habits as I now always look for PAO when it comes to ATF. However, as far as I've heard, Group III base oils have a better additive response and seal compatibility than PAO.

And I apologize for the way I phrased my opinions about ATF. I should have used the appropriate phrasing to clarify that they were, in fact, just my opinions and conclusions that I've drawn at the consumer level.

I think I picked up some bad habits as I now always look for PAO when it comes to ATF. However, as far as I've heard, Group III base oils have a better additive response and seal compatibility than PAO.

That's a popular misconception. There's no single formulated engine
or transmission oil with PAO as the only base oil component. Cheaper
'PAO based' oils use some group 2 and 3 while higher-end ones use
some group 5 (ester or ANs or a combination of) for aniline number
adjustment which is a measure or indicator at least for additive solubility
and seal compatibility. Some even use a combination of group 3, 4 and 5
(e.g. M1 ESP 5W-30). Molacule, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Back