'53 Chevy Truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me a grumpy old man, but driving a 60 year old ton and a half truck from the middle of no where Wyoming home doesn't sound like all that much fun to me. I've actually been to the middle of Wyoming and it was in an ancient truck and yes, we did break down, (it was in a 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton truck - that was 30 plus years ago and my butt is still recovering). You really don't realize how far it is between towns until you start walking. Colorado isn't much better, especially eastern Colorado which is basically earth and sky. Hopefully, you'll have cell phone reception at least most of the way and if I were you I would call AAA and get the 100 mile radius tow package just in case, (assuming they will tow a ton and a half truck). Best of luck to you - the time I did it, I did get to meet a lot of interesting people along the way - maybe you'll bump into the same ones
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Check out U Ship where you can request competing shipping quotes.

If you break down in the middle of nowhere, it would be a frustrating and costly adventure to get that truck towed and repaired.

Woohoo. Then we can see it on tv.

Bring a bunch of spare parts. Wire, electrical tape, duct tape, coolant hoses, coolant, stop leak for the radiator. Is it 6 volt or 12 volt? I would be worried about the generator and would probably replace it with a GM 1 wire alternator. They make them for 6 volt and 12 volt applications and they are reliable and put out plenty of power.

It seems to me that you have done a good job of thinking this out and preparing for the trip. The only thing that would worry me is the long trip through wide open spaces in the high heat. A break down could be fatal. A good friend in a chase car would go a long way here for piece of mind and the ability to deal with the unknown.

As for your original question about spraying something in the cylinders because the engine has not been turned over in years, there is no good answer. It depends on how bad it is. You might get buy with a very light oil, or have to let it soak with a penetrating spray. People have been known to take all the spark plugs out and fill the cylinders with penetrating fluid and let it sit for a few days before they try to turn the engine over. You will have to decide for yourself how much chance you want to take and how much time you want to let it sit before you try it.

the widow's son-in-law, who handled the sale, recommended a young fellow who has experience dealing with farm equipment...

why? farm mechanics run into far more sitting engines than
regular mechs do...
And he will be pretty happy with the choice of oil
if you go with a xw-40 hdeo.
Actually i think it would be fine on an stou 10w-30

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Check out U Ship where you can request competing shipping quotes.

http://tiny.cc/fek4zw
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/uship/aust...tin-texa-372079
http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/uship-a38846.html

Complaints are probably 0.1% of their total tansactions. eBay has similar poor reviews. U Ship connects shippers with people who have items that need shipping. It's a good way to look at reviews left for shippers before accepting bids. Just like other bidding websites, doing business with people who have poor or low feedback is riskier.

I shipped a truck and motorcycle through U Ship members with good success, but doing your research will result in a better experience.

I ship fleet trucks from a Factory Authorized upfitter in Mass to my biz in Florida.

The price is now so high that the last time I bought one (April 2013) me and my son flew up and drove it home.

Total cost was about 500 bucks for everything including fuel. MUCH cheaper than shipping!

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Actually the modern 0/5W-20 were invented for CAFE...

No, they weren't. They were simply made possible with new group II, II+, and III stocks. As said, 5W-20 was around for a while, but just like the 5W-30, which was "not recommended for sustained highway driving" by many manufacturers in the 80's/early 90's, it wasn't stout enough..

In this case, I think a 10W-30 would be ideal. I'd probably go with a high mileage of your choice, but I like the Defy recommendation...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Now that we have the hand wringing out of the way, just add a couple ounces of motor oil to each cylinder and as long as it isn't stuck, spin it over a few times reinstall the plugs and go... Soaking isn't needed unless it's stuck...

You'll probably want to repl or at least have a fuel pump with you, one of those 15 min jobs that could be days if it quits along the way... Otherwise with the fuel system and brakes checked out, I'd look at the condition of the belts, hoses and coolant, may want to have a water pump, fan belt and of course a few gallons of water on hand as well... If it has points and condenser a fresh condenser may be a good idea as well(they deteriorate with age, can be perfect one minute and open/shorted the next), I'd also carry a spare coil... Replace the battery if it's been setting for the last four years, even if it's currently holding charge...

All of the above of course assumes it doesn't have any major leaks from the engine, transmission or differential...

Sounds like a fun trip, almost wish I was going with you...

Before he does anything else, I'm going to have my farm-boy mechanic perform a compression check on all six cylinders, and also check the oil pressure...

If the compression numbers are okay, I'm going to have him proceed with the rest of the work as described herein below... (otherwise, I'll see about putting the truck on a trailer and towing it home...)

I've having the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel pump replaced... and the carburetor cleaned and adjusted...

I'm having the water pump, radiator cap, thermostat, and belts and hoses replaced... and the radiator flushed...

I'm having the battery, ignition coil, starter & solenoid, generator armature, bearings & brushes, voltage & current regulator, points & condenser, distributor cap & rotor, plugs & wires replaced...

I'm having the cylinder head bolts and manifold bolts checked for tightness... and the valve tappet gaps checked for clearances...

I'm having the oil changed in the engine, the transmission and the differential...

I'm having new tires installed...

I'm going to have the tire company perform a complete inspection/service/repair of the brake system, chassis, suspension, rear axle, u-joints, front end and exhaust system...

if you can think of anything I may have overlooked, please let me know...

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Call me a grumpy old man, but driving a 60 year old ton and a half truck from the middle of no where Wyoming home doesn't sound like all that much fun to me. I've actually been to the middle of Wyoming and it was in an ancient truck and yes, we did break down, (it was in a 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton truck - that was 30 plus years ago and my butt is still recovering). You really don't realize how far it is between towns until you start walking. Colorado isn't much better, especially eastern Colorado which is basically earth and sky. Hopefully, you'll have cell phone reception at least most of the way and if I were you I would call AAA and get the 100 mile radius tow package just in case, (assuming they will tow a ton and a half truck). Best of luck to you - the time I did it, I did get to meet a lot of interesting people along the way - maybe you'll bump into the same ones
smile.gif

I'll bring a bicycle with me in case I break down...
smile.gif

btw, I already have the AAA 100-mile tow package... but thanks for the recommendation anyhow...
smile.gif

I am assuming this is a manual transmission. What about the clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing?

Don't forget to post pictures as you make the trip - I think that would be pretty cool and it would kinda include us homebound folks in the adventure.

cool idea... mebbe before I go I'll finally make myself figure out how to take and send pictures from my phone...
smile.gif

By the way, where is this truck in Wyoming? My wife is from Manville Wyoming in Niobrara county.

the truck's on a ranch a few miles outside of Casper...

One more thing, before you go, you should watch "Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip." It will give you strength for when times get tough.

lol... why do you keep making it sound like it's gonna be an ordeal, grumpy old guy...?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I am assuming this is a manual transmission. What about the clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing?

I'm gonna have that checked too... but I 'spect the most it might need would be adjusting the linkage...

Last edited:
btw, getting back to the subject of engine oil...

after having given it further thought, I've tentatively decided that I'll go with 10W-30 from May to September, and 5W-20 from October to April...

eta: but then again, knowing me, I'll probably just stick to 10W-30 once I've put it in the first time... 'specially since it's the same thing I put in my Subaru...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back