51042 vs 51522

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK what is the difference other than length in these two filters. The 51522 fits on the 2002 chevy 5.3 and the 51042 is listed for the 2003 Chevy 5.3. Anyone know why GM made the change on this filter for it to be shorter for 2003 and up engines. The only difference I can see is the length. It isn't like it sits lower than the oil pan on the Silverado's 5.3

Just wanting to keep my stock simple with just one filter and not have to have two different ones on the garage shelf. Any reason I couldn't run the longer 51522?

I researched this exact same issue many years ago, and concluded that the 15122 is identical to the 51042, except for the length. Same story with the Napa 1522/1042 versions. I've been using the longer filters on my '03 for the past nine years. Mostly Napa Gold/Wix/Mobil 1/K&N.

I don't think the filtration area makes much difference, but the longer filter is easier to change, it gives me a tad more oil capacity (6.0 quarts exactly instead of ~5.75), and they are the same price as the shorter filters... so why not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The shorter filters prevent accidents on the assembly line.

Say what?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The shorter filters prevent accidents on the assembly line.

Say what?
confused.gif

Well, what happens is that some workers at the factory borrow an oil filter shell and fill it with beer. The shorter the can shell, the less beer they drink, the less drunk they get, and the less accidents occur with shorter filters. There, simple.

^^^
lol.gif
... maybe less people get their hands smashed when they are slamming engine assemblies into the body when shorter filters are used. They give more clearance, which end up being "safer" for that clumsy assembler trying to work too fast.

I heard from an assembly line worker at Ford that they shortened the filters for some applications due to accidents that were spilling fresh oil on the assembly line, not sure if it was credible or not, but i remember stuff like that when i hear it.

I heard from an assembly line worker at Ford that they shortened the filters for some applications due to accidents that were spilling fresh oil on the assembly line, not sure if it was credible or not, but i remember stuff like that when i hear it.

I don't understand this at all.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I don't understand this at all.

I think he means that with longer filters on some of the engines, the filter would get punched open when the engine was being put into the engine bay, and that would spill oil all over the factory floor which is a safety hazard.

So apparently using shorter filters helped stop this from accidentally happening because there was more less chance of banging the shorter filter when stuffing the engine in the car during assembly.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I researched this exact same issue many years ago, and concluded that the 15122 is identical to the 51042, except for the length. Same story with the Napa 1522/1042 versions. I've been using the longer filters on my '03 for the past nine years. Mostly Napa Gold/Wix/Mobil 1/K&N.

I don't think the filtration area makes much difference, but the longer filter is easier to change, it gives me a tad more oil capacity (6.0 quarts exactly instead of ~5.75), and they are the same price as the shorter filters... so why not.

Thank you for giving an actual relevant and fact based answer to the OP's question. In other words, something the OP can use to make an informed decision regarding his question. Also in the OP's case vehicle warranty isn't a concern.

This is what the board should be about, not some hearsay/rumor spewed as fact. I should be surprised at the gullibility of some folks, but I'm not. As Tommy Flanagan would say about it....

Obviously, any chat board in existence will never have 100% true facts given about anything, as not everyone will know everything and personal opinion drives a lot of what people think is right or wrong, good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back