507 Oil for Reducing Oil Consumption

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2014 Audi A6 TDI (3.0L V6 CPNB) with 104k miles. Now, it has around 108k.

I changed the oil myself immediately after purchasing and used the 0w30 507.00 Volkswagen/Audi brand oil from my local Audi dealer. Unfortunately, my new ride seems to be burning about 100 mL of oil every 1,000 miles. It’s a little early to tell, I know, but it looks like I’m on target to consume the length of the electronic dip stick (1L) in 10,000 miles. ☹️

This is my 3rd TDI and 4th diesel car. I’ve had a 2014 Passat TDI (CKRA) and a 2015 Passat TDI (CVCA), and currently have also a 2008 E320 Bluetec (OM642). None have burned a measurable amount of oil in 10k miles. This Audi is the first one I’ve had oil trouble with. It’s a shame because the records and condition of the car indicate it was really well cared for.

This rate of consumption isn’t terrible, but since the car has a DPF I want to be especially careful about oil usage to avoid as much ash accumulation as I can.

Question: what 507 oil do you all recommend for minimizing oil consumption? Liqui Moly 4200 5w30, Castrol 507 LL 5w30, and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 all seem like quality choices I could try out next. Is there a favorite?

I can’t help but wonder if Audi’s recent switch away from 5w30 Castrol Edge Professional LL03 to this new house brand 0w30 (rebranded M1 ESP?) has something to do with it. Perhaps going back to a 5w30 — like the LL03 I ran in my 2.0L TDIs or even the 229.52 Mercedes oil I put in my Bluetec — would eliminate my oil consumption. Or, perhaps that is just wishful thinking and I will just be stuck with adding a bottle between changes.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

I would also check for leaks, and see if there is considerable oil pooling in the bottom intercooler hoses. Perhaps the car has been babied, which no TDI or CRD ever should be, and this is the result?

I would disagree that it's normal; I've had many TDIs and other diesels over the years and I wouldn't be satisfied with being down 1L every 10k miles. Perhaps 0.5L, that'd be OK.

I agree with the OP that you might need to try a different 507 oil, and maybe a 5w30 instead of 0w30. Maybe a good engine flush at your next OCI wouldn't be a bad idea. Perhaps run this new oil for half an OCI, add in some LM engine flush (flame suit on) and then try a 5w30 507 spec lube, monitor for a whole 10k OCI.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2014 Audi A6 TDI (3.0L V6 CPNB) with 104k miles. Now, it has around 108k.

I changed the oil myself immediately after purchasing and used the 0w30 507.00 Volkswagen/Audi brand oil from my local Audi dealer. Unfortunately, my new ride seems to be burning about 100 mL of oil every 1,000 miles. It’s a little early to tell, I know, but it looks like I’m on target to consume the length of the electronic dip stick (1L) in 10,000 miles. ☹️

This is my 3rd TDI and 4th diesel car. I’ve had a 2014 Passat TDI (CKRA) and a 2015 Passat TDI (CVCA), and currently have also a 2008 E320 Bluetec (OM642). None have burned a measurable amount of oil in 10k miles. This Audi is the first one I’ve had oil trouble with. It’s a shame because the records and condition of the car indicate it was really well cared for.

This rate of consumption isn’t terrible, but since the car has a DPF I want to be especially careful about oil usage to avoid as much ash accumulation as I can.

Question: what 507 oil do you all recommend for minimizing oil consumption? Liqui Moly 4200 5w30, Castrol 507 LL 5w30, and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 all seem like quality choices I could try out next. Is there a favorite?

I can’t help but wonder if Audi’s recent switch away from 5w30 Castrol Edge Professional LL03 to this new house brand 0w30 (rebranded M1 ESP?) has something to do with it. Perhaps going back to a 5w30 — like the LL03 I ran in my 2.0L TDIs or even the 229.52 Mercedes oil I put in my Bluetec — would eliminate my oil consumption. Or, perhaps that is just wishful thinking and I will just be stuck with adding a bottle between changes.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!
Have had similar problems with 0w-30 507 in a diesel engine. Change to Castrol edge 5w-30 LL or Mobil1 5w-30 esp and it will reduce the oil cunsumption. Since Castrol edge 5w-30 LL is cheap in US i would buy it

Unfortunately, my new ride seems to be burning about 100 mL of oil every 1,000 miles. It’s a little early to tell, I know, but it looks like I’m on target to consume the length of the electronic dip stick (1L) in 10,000 miles. ☹️

Imho 1 l/10.000 mls isn't bad at all. Actually I never had less than that.
Adding half a liter every 5.000 mls will even freshen your oil up a bit.
To answer your question: Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and Ravenol VMP 5W-30.
Problably these are the two VW 507 00 oils with the lowest Noack value
currently available. Since your TDI is out of warranty I'll add Ravenol REP
5W-30. No VW 507 00 approval, but comes with BMW LL-04, MB 229.51
and even lower Noack and better flashpoint as well as a perhaps superior
add pack (Vanderbilt W-324). Given the same quality a 5W-30 will have
a thicker base oil and reduced volatility (lower Noack, higher flashpoint)
compared to its 0W-30 brother. If in doubt refer to this list:

Thank you all for your replies. I’m glad to hear that my current situation doesn’t sound all that bad even without switching my oil.

That said, in the interest of pursuing perfection, I still plan on trying a new oil for my next change. The finalists are M1 ESP 5w30 and Castrol LL 5w30, but by popular opinion, I plan on M1.

“Why M1 if that’s what you suspect is currently in the car? (rebranded M1 ESP)” The truth is, I’m guessing the consumption—assuming the oil is to blame—is rooted in the grade, not so much the brand. 930.engineering, your info gives me hope.

The next 5000+ miles will prove or disprove my hypothesis. I’ll let y’all know how it goes!

my new ride seems to be burning about 100 mL of oil every 1,000 miles. It’s a little early to tell, I know, but it looks like I’m on target to consume the length of the electronic dip stick (1L) in 10,000 miles.
Don't stress mate. My Saab (9-5 turbo with 250k kms on it) doesn't smoke or leak oil. But it uses ~1L every 5,000kms. Which happens to be from High - to - Low on the dipstick.

So that's when it gets changed. If it didn't use the oil, I'd probably change it out at 7,500kms anyway. UOA show's all is well.

Just keep an eye on it, especially if it's not visibly smoking.

Regards
Jordan

Hey - long time no troll 🙄
Missed me didn't ya!

On a more truer note, since finally finding some Pennzoil Euro 507 oil, I've noticed my Passat not using any oil between OCI's and much less audible noise when running vs that junk M1 I had in it last ;)

I wouldn't worry much at all about 1qt per 10k miles. Try the one of the 5W30s next time, if it's out of warranty, you could even try 511 oil if you can find it, There's also that low ash heavy duty Chevron Delo 600 ADF stuff in 10W30 or 15W40 if you live in a warmer climate.

I work on these and they always come in down on oil when due for a oil change. Compare this to the 2.0 TDI that doesn’t use oil ( mine over 80,000 miles never needed topping up) and also customer cars that arnt low when due a change. I would suspect the 3.0 oil use is through the PCV as it’s always oily in the intake pipe to turbo connection.

I work on these and they always come in down on oil when due for a oil change. Compare this to the 2.0 TDI that doesn’t use oil ( mine over 80,000 miles never needed topping up) and also customer cars that arnt low when due a change. I would suspect the 3.0 oil use is through the PCV as it’s always oily in the intake pipe to turbo connection.
Great info. Thank you.

Mine is a bit oily in that same spot. Can this be fixed by replacing PCV components or is it just the nature of the design? Think switching to 5w30 would help?

I’ve never replaced one on a 3.0 TDI. I would suggest it’s just the nature of the design however an additional oil catch can may help prevent oil build up in the intake pipework. We used to put 5w30 castrol in these engines before they changed the UK to 0w30 Shell, wether this will make any difference to consumption in unsure. The change was made to help reduce cost start emissions.

I-talian tune up and change the oil often for a while. Are you very specific about your oil check routine? I suspect you are, but just want to point it out. Need to use the same oil check system or you will drive yourself mad. Same parking spot, approximate engine temp, time after shutdown, etc.

burning about 100 mL of oil every 1,000 miles.
that sounds like very efficient 2stroke engine.
it seems it´s running in their genes, https://www.classaction.org/audi-oil-burning-consumption-lawsuits

That particular article could do with updating as on the ea888 gen 2 engine once the oil consumption has been confirmed to be outside of spec we just replace the pistons and rods, the PCV, crank seal and software update TPI no longer exists (UK vehicles anyway). While I can understand an owners frustration at having an engine that consumes oil if it does not fail the oil consumption test then we cannot repair it. This is done electronically via an Odis test plan. Also not many engines have a TPI for a repair process so in these cases we would have to report to technical and see what they want us to do.

I’m sure most of you can understand it’s impossible for a dealer tech to fix a problem that has not been recognised by the parent company that is most likely a design/ manufacturing issue When a modified/ updated part will be needed.

These types of issue are unfortunately normally referred to as a characteristic of the model/ vehicle.

Back