5 miles a day

My wife drives her 2013 fit to work down the road about 5 miles total each day. Would I want to change her oil more frequently? I use whatever 0w20 full synthetic I choose and a wix 57356 filter. Should I go to a time based oil change or just stick to 5000 miles?

Nothing wrong with a 5000 miles oci on synthetic. That is what I am doing. I drive about 5000 miles a year so our mileage is similar.

I'd probably change it once a year or so. Just because Rhode Island is humid and it gets cold their so condensation is probably a big problem there.

2000 cold starts with 2.5 mile trips for 5000 miles would be nearly a 4 year OCI if it isn't driven on weekends... And perhaps not alot of fun getting the filter off. I'd run cheaper oil for a shorter time.

Honda time based is minimally every year or follow the maintenance minder. Is there a separate maintenance guide for severe usage(excessive short tripping)?

What is the yearly mile usage on the vehicle?
What does the maintenance minder say after 3, 6, 9, or 12 months?

52 weeks * 100 miles per week = 5,200 miles per year.
I would do 5K or 1 year OCI.

Perhaps buy the Kirkland swill and change it a little sooner based on short tripping.
But your plan sounds good to me.

Our vehicles see limited mileage with a lot of cold starts, idling in the winter to warm up, and short-tripping, so I do 6 month changes out of an abundance of caution. The only way to really know if 6 months is too frequent or one year is too long is to have a UOA done.

I'd probably change it once a year or so. Just because Rhode Island is humid and it gets cold their so condensation is probably a big problem there.
Yeah the last time I changed her oil (Mobil 1 HM and Wix 57356) the underside of the fill cap was riddled with condensation sludge

Back