5 free oil change at honda dealership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hv 5 free oil changes at dealership where I bought my car. I've been running various M1 5w-20/30 EP and M1 0w-20 since 1200 miles. Now I hv 17500miles...Should I keep buying my own oil or should I let them put in their bulk oil? Synthetic to Conventional? what do you guys think/

Thanks,

I would keep running your oil of choice unless you are dumping it at 3-5K. If you are changing at 3-5K, let them put in whatever they want until your free deal is over.

If you are running your EP until 10K, keep bringing your oil and have them do the labor for free...maybe ask for another service in trade (tire rotation maybe?) since you brought your own oil...????

Just my opinion...

I would not like bulk conventional oil in any car I own. I assume you're doing your own oil changes. Ask them for 5 free oil filters. They will say no, because they want 5 shots at your car do do other stuff.

I didn't use my free Mazda oil changes because it's far more convenient for me to do it in my garage and I don't like anyone else touching my car if I can avoid it.

If you're paying someone to change your oil anyway, you may as well take the free oil changes. Using the dealer's bulk oil at reasonable intervals and switching between syn and dino is no problem.

Is this a new car? If it is, how did you talk the dealer into changing the oil after so few miles? Usually Honda is pretty strict on not draining the break-in oil early. As for your question, I would not use bulk oil or the Honda OEM filter. The Honda OEM oil filter 15400-PLM-A02 is made by Honeywell/Fram and is not well made in my opinion. I would use a better filter and oil, but that's me.

Forgive my ignorance, but does Honda still use "break in oil"? I thought this went out in the '70's.

Honda claims that the factory fill is a "special" oil that should not be drained early. UOA's seem to indicate that this oil is fairly normal, but contains high Moly.

Quote:

I would worry more about them stripping the oil pan than them using bulk motor oil.

What exactly is sooo bad about bulk oil. Do you think 5w-30 Green bottle QS is any different than the 5w-30 Quaker State the dealer is pumping in. Man the paranoia runs deep around here.
assimilation.gif
hornets_nest.gif

Bulk oil often gets contaminated between the barrel and your engine. A few years ago we sample oil in barrels and found everyone contaminated. We had to institute new procedures to clean up the systems. In some places we actually added filters between the gun and the barrel. I change my own oil and I want to be change of how the oil is handled. I always have the feeling that the job of changing oil is not considered an important position in a shop or a dealership. I've seen these guys put the plug back in while there is a stream of oil still flowing, put the oil filter on dry and not check the oil level after adding oil with a metered gun. The chance of those things happening to my car will keep me changing my own oil.

Quote:

I always have the feeling that the job of changing oil is not considered an important position in a shop or a dealership. I've seen these guys put the plug back in while there is a stream of oil still flowing, put the oil filter on dry and not check the oil level after adding oil with a metered gun. The chance of those things happening to my car will keep me changing my own oil.

cheers2.gif
cheers.gif
approved.gif

The reason I refuse bulk oil is because the additives settle out over time. So, the last out of a barrel is not the same oil as the first out. GM found this out and now GM dealers must reduce the size of the bulk oil containers to 20? gallon from 55? gallon. I personally have noticed additive separation with one quart containers of oil. I don't remember the time line on when the additive separation stating to be a problem but, it was not too long and was affecting the smaller GM dealers. I just think it is a money making (shop time and oil cost) issue. I've seen bulk containers and often wondered what was in them as their not marked well and are often filled from trucks so I would never be absolutely sure what I was getting. I like to see quarts or 4-5 quart jugs go into my engines. JM Ed

Vw's use junky cast aluminum pans that STRIP SuPER EASY...even I will strip one once in a while at work. I've even used a torque wrench to spec and it STILL strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back